Sign in to follow this  
joedobo

Bulk Bin, Bundle Withdraw

Give us the option to withdraw a bundled quantity of a single item. An example might be 500 small nails and the single package would be 100 kg and 10 L(about a half full satchel). This isn't a new concept, other games I've played use similar approaches. The main difference is we need to make sure constraints involving weight and volume aren't removed.

The withdraw bulk bin menu should have a small x-box at the bottom to select this type item withdraw.

In order to avoid potential problems with taking out and putting more things inside the package, the container can't be opened. Choosing a package withdraw creates a single item whose weight and volume is directly derived from its contents. Then, you would have to deposit it in another bulk bin to get the goods inside.

Decay and long term storage prevention. The intent is not to make another long term storage item. We need various limits to make sure this doesn't happen. I can see people putting these packages on vendors, using for general trade, and transporting goods around. Its difficult to come up with specific measures. I can say I like destroying a small percent of items much more then reducing the overall ql by damaging items.

Constructing the package could require the toon to have some materials in inventory. I think this should be few if any. Making use of wood scrap would be good. This part is more for realism then anything else, personally I'd skip it.

Archived suggestion that I can't bump: http://forum.wurmonl.../page__hl__bulk

- To add to this old thread, it seems moving huge quantities of items between containers is taxing on the server. Otherwise we wouldn't have seen the change to limit item deposit into bulk bin of 100 items. I feel this would greatly improve trade, guessing a reduction in server strain, and would reduce the boring task of moving items between containers.

- Another option similar in nature is a much smaller and portable version of the bulk bin. Its weight would need to reflect its contents. I know from my experience of depositing wemp bundles that bulk deposits work well. Make sure a portable bin stocked with goods can be placed on merchants only taking up one spot for the bin.

• Like 1

truthfully I think you should only be able to remove as much as you can carry from a BsB. They are already giving you a benefit of storing your items for long periods of time rather than having the decay rate increased in game.

Dumping items into them is completely different than selecting and removing items it should not work both ways.

truthfully I think you should only be able to remove as much as you can carry from a BsB.

I failed to explain this I guess. Second try, "Choosing a package withdraw creates a single item whose weight and volume is directly derived from its contents." Existent mechanics prevent a toon from putting something in inventory which exceeds 7x body strength. I am not sure how to make this any clearer.

Dumping items into them is completely different than selecting and removing items it should not work both ways.

How is it completely different? Keep in mind deposit already works with bundles of lump, wemp, and any other combine type item. Its not that far of a leap to ask for a way to withdraw bundles of items. I wanted to test by making a single small nails whose volume was 10L, then deposit it in a bin and see if the bin converts it to 500 items. They took away the cochineal tool on test and my toon isn't anywhere near the test deed.

I not privy to bin code, but it would make sense to use the same function for all items when determining quantity deposited. A function that would divided the volume deposited by the item's standard unit size retrieved from the data base. Saying its completely different is unfounded. It will require some changes but I don't see those changes as being much different then how things currently work.

I said the bulk bundle is a package to avoid issues with people trying to use these as tools and craft mats. Similarly, We can't open the packages to avoid issues with changing weights and volumes as its contents change.

It shouldn't, eh? So making the players happy by reducing tedious click-drag-fill routine is bad? Reducing the strain on the servers so it can be used for more fun stuff is bad? Making it feasible to sell small cheep items on merchants is bad?