Sign in to follow this  
Joanavon

Someplaces To Use Our Inscribed Papyrus Sheets

Now that we have the ability to make papyrus sheets and we can inscribe them with any dye and a reed pen

(Reed pen = carving knife + reed PLANTS not fibre)

(Papyrus sheets over about 25ql or so have the author imprinted when you examine them under that they seem to be anonymous)

It would be nice to be able to post or place theme somewhere visable for passers by or the area owner to read. Right now you can mail them or dump them on the ground but that's about it and anyone can pick them up.

Something like the ability to tack them to a tree or door or for the more violent minded to a body.

Or the ability to build a wooden board that would hold X number of them, with high decay and over that amount having the newest one replace the oldest one. Perhaps with with builder being able to put a first perminant one up when they finish the board.

Also 40i is still a bit spendy to make mailing letters or notes ecconomical not to mention if they don't check a mailbox they don't know they have one waiting.

Papyrus making skill is also, even on epic, painfully slow to raise. I have 8 skill even after making at least 100 sheets. I'm assuming it increases your press chances to make a sheet and/or its Ql.

• Like 2

Totally agree.

Anyway... I wish to add another suggestion not really asked: What about books? And bookshelfs.

A deed-board that deed owners can place on their deed and leave notes or messages for citizens or anyone passing by? (to-do lists, events, WTB, WTS ect)

Books would be awesome. Be cool to have a newspaper or something to.

Although it is fun to leave anonymous sheets with things like "I've hidden the chest key in the oleander bush between the two blue lamp posts" or "you coin is waiting in a sachel in the mine opening covered by the willow tree"

Its come up before along with suggestions for paper, and personally I feel it cannot be re-posted or re-threaded enough.

Paper and writing are a huge step forward in encouraging interactions ingame. The next step in my mind is being able to nail the messages somewhere as mentioned beforehand: doors, trees, boards, or some other "public" place. How often have you seen someone in chat looking for such-in-such or somebody?

Having a means of ingame communication encourages more interactions as akin traditional forums. Want ads, sell ads, bounties, requests, warnings, general messages, the list goes on. Having something ingame would greatly streamline matters in contrast to tabbing out and checking the various "outer-game" forums.

I recal back before Ultima Online went live, one of the touted possibilites was of dynamic quests: local wildlife kills a (NPC) farmer's stock, farmer posts bounties, players hunt, and so forth. Granted Wurm's creature AI could use some work in that direction; however, it shows the kind of interactions ingame bulletins would help faciliate.

Of course there should not be some kind of universal bulletin or even a universal auction house, hell Im not even sure about having any chat beyond the local level (courier pigeons replacing longer distance chats).

Edited by Klaa

Papyrus making skill is also, even on epic, painfully slow to raise. I have 8 skill even after making at least 100 sheets. I'm assuming it increases your press chances to make a sheet and/or its Ql.

That does not look slow at all to me, how much NS do you have after making 100 HC's or Locksmithing after 100 locks? 100 of anything in wurm is a drop in the ocean.

My favourite use for papyrus so far is written commendations, I have one from Sincor that I carry proudly.

I enjoy the idea of using a small nails to nail a note to a friend's door :P "Make sure you don't forget to feed the horses."

That does not look slow at all to me, how much NS do you have after making 100 HC's or Locksmithing after 100 locks? 100 of anything in wurm is a drop in the ocean.

Mine is not too dissimilar. Only about 7 or so skill after making 100+ (and that is generally using sleep bonus)

It might not sound slow from that, but consider that to make just 1, you need to harvest 5 reed. (assuming you don't fail and lose some of the crushed reed). On top of that of course is the fact that reed can't just be grown anywhere - so farming huge swamps of reed is not exactly possible for most. I'd put papyrus making as quite a lot slower than dairy farming - as it is a lot easier to have mass hoards of cattle to milk regularly.

Also bear in mind skill gain at low levels is a lot quicker than at high levels... dread to think how many reed you would need to actually harvest to get to say 50 skill...

Edited by Tinkerer

I enjoy the idea of using a small nails to nail a note to a friend's door :P "Make sure you don't forget to feed the horses."

Or to leave a note on your own door: "On holiday. Be back in a week. Please water the flowers."

I like the idea of leaving notes on doors or trees as it makes the game feel more in-depth, but what about taking the model of GM signs and making a 'Town noticeboard' that has been suggested many times in the past. Anyone can take a small nail and tack their message to the noticeboard, be it for advertisements, recruitment requests, etc., and the owner of the village/noticeboard can remove it at whim should the message be out of date or the content offensive.

Mine is not too dissimilar. Only about 7 or so skill after making 100+ (and that is generally using sleep bonus)

It might not sound slow from that, but consider that to make just 1, you need to harvest 5 reed. (assuming you don't fail and lose some of the crushed reed). On top of that of course is the fact that reed can't just be grown anywhere - so farming huge swamps of reed is not exactly possible for most. I'd put papyrus making as quite a lot slower than dairy farming - as it is a lot easier to have mass hoards of cattle to milk regularly.

Also bear in mind skill gain at low levels is a lot quicker than at high levels... dread to think how many reed you would need to actually harvest to get to say 50 skill...

This is no different from mining iron for locks or hunting/farming for HC mats, not to mention countless other skills that are similar. If anything I would say 8 skill for that small effort is too good.

Or the ability to build a wooden board that would hold X number of them, with high decay and over that amount having the newest one replace the oldest one. Perhaps with with builder being able to put a first perminant one up when they finish the board.

Good news is the item exists... only for GMs (i believe) to utilize. So the transition from idea to implementation is much easier in this as with starting from scratch.

Can we also see contracts come about that both parties sign with unique signatures based on characters? For digging contracts and whatnot.