Sign in to follow this  
Perryn

Picketing Horses

This is somewhat in response to the "More Maintenance Notice" thread in the Townhall.

One of the concerns is being in the middle of nowhere and what to do with your horse when a Maintenance pounces on you... or for that fact how about when real life pounces on you.

My suggestion is Pickets for horses...

ranger-trying-out-the-picketing-idea-n1-frisco.jpg

Harness on your horse (would give an added use to having one on)

Picket (made of iron spike and length of rope)

Allows your horse to roam in a 3x3 tile radius of the Picket to graze. Would of course not be lockable so would have its limits kept as a temporary tool to use (which it should be)

• Like 3

+1 was going to suggest "hitching" horses to trees with rope but this makes more sense :rolleyes:

I think this has been asked for since I started playing wurm (2 years ago). I still don't understand why this hasn't been implemented. +1

• Like 1

you made this very same suggestion just 13 days ago:

http://forum.wurmonl...e__hl__hitching

use the search function, or your memory :rolleyes:

Hitching Posts and Pickets are two very different things.

Hitching Post is a permanent structure that enables for a quick hitch in an area you are familiar with that utilizes a single unfenced in tile.

Pickets are portable items carried that enable you to hitch in a familiar or unfamiliar place spur of the moment.

Feel free to google the two for full descriptions.

In hopes of getting this implemented how about for so much karma all the horses in the vicinity don't move for a certain amount of hours?

I think this has been asked for since I started playing wurm (2 years ago). I still don't understand why this hasn't been implemented. +1

This has been asked for since horses were implemented what, like, 3 years ago. I can't even remember. I just remember "Back in my day we had to drag our carts ourselves" ;)

Only issue (in relation to the other hitching post) would be down to the mechanics in the game engine. Having something 'moored' yet mobile within a radius would appear, to me, to be a lot more difficult to implement, so I think the other solution (while perhaps less useful) has the advantage of perhaps being a lot easier to have implemented.

Only issue (in relation to the other hitching post) would be down to the mechanics in the game engine. Having something 'moored' yet mobile within a radius would appear, to me, to be a lot more difficult to implement, so I think the other solution (while perhaps less useful) has the advantage of perhaps being a lot easier to have implemented.

If that is the case then can't we have the horse stay on the same tile as the picket. Have them last 6-12 hours. A horse will not starve and die if it cannot graze within 6-12 hours. I think the people just want a mechanism to stop horses from wandering off after restarts or maintainance. I personally wouldn't care if the horse did not move at all while hitched to a picket.

Only if said horses have no protection at all of deed.

This means anyone can kill or take them unless they are on a deed as well as aggro mobs can kill and feed on them in this state.

+1 I'd like to see more tools to secure my animals.

-Only game balance issue I can see here is in some cases making sure an animal won't stay picketed for a long time. Players will abandoned animals and try to use this tool as a means to secure animals they find in the woods.

-I'm not sure if this is undesirable. These could be used instead of fences on my deed to prevent animal congestion, tho the picketing would need to stay long term.