Sign in to follow this  
rotinom

Wurm On The Go

When will there be a wurm iPod app or something? :) I would never be logged off again:)

The shear amount resources that wurm uses would never allow it to run on an iPod. You do realize the iPod is an mp3 player... not a fully functional laptop, right?

It's doable if you remove or modify ios and have a heavily modified client for it.

The shear amount resources that wurm uses would never allow it to run on an iPod. You do realize the iPod is an mp3 player... not a fully functional laptop, right?

That depends if you're trying to reproduce the clients we currently use, or redesign a new interface more suited to iOS as a frontend. A more sprite based, cartoonish version might be kind of fun.

However, developing a client for iOS or Android would take a dedicated team to make more or less entirely new graphics, interfaces, etc that have to be balanced not to give advantages or disadvantages to the other clients.. I don't see it happening at the current level of development without some serious resource commitment.

Yes, it sounds possible. That would be awesome, if it's even possible B)

If anything, Wurm for Android will someday work. I'd be all for that, not supporting Apple crap. What a horrible company.

It's funny, I was just thinking about Wurm for Android today. I have a tablet with a Tegra 2 processor. It's a little dated, but it can do other games rather well. Wurm shouldn't be an issue at all. The major problem would likely be data, as so much dynamic information is passed from the server to the client to render the world as we see it. Games like WoW, EverQuest, etc all have data files that store all the information required for rendering the world. Memory would also be an issue as most of these devices don't have a lot of RAM to work with, but given the smaller screen size, the texture data wouldn't have to be very large and the rendering distance could be cut back some. Not ideal for exploration, but perfect for grinding your skills on the go.

Just some thoughts. :)

It's funny, I was just thinking about Wurm for Android today. I have a tablet with a Tegra 2 processor. It's a little dated, but it can do other games rather well. Wurm shouldn't be an issue at all. The major problem would likely be data, as so much dynamic information is passed from the server to the client to render the world as we see it. Games like WoW, EverQuest, etc all have data files that store all the information required for rendering the world. Memory would also be an issue as most of these devices don't have a lot of RAM to work with, but given the smaller screen size, the texture data wouldn't have to be very large and the rendering distance could be cut back some. Not ideal for exploration, but perfect for grinding your skills on the go.

Just some thoughts. :)

I would love just... event/chat windows, and a single function: prayer spam!!

I would consider upgrading from my old man cell phone to one of these newfandangled machines you whipper-snappers use if I could Wurm on the go

I hear spashpad for iPad and iPhone works rather well. This just allows you to control your desktop from your device. The free version limits you to being on the same wifi connection but if you pay for the full version you can do it from anywhere.

Edited by McGarnicle

Even if it could handle a cut down near distance version.. imagine trying to read text in container lists or chat/event windows.. and playing with touchscreen? not keyboard, mouse, mouse buttons and keybinds? urghh.. would be painful to say the least.

Even if it could handle a cut down near distance version.. imagine trying to read text in container lists or chat/event windows.. and playing with touchscreen? not keyboard, mouse, mouse buttons and keybinds? urghh.. would be painful to say the least.

Could make a cut down single play mode or a distinct mobile Wurm server, if there was actually demand for it.