Sign in to follow this  
Smokie

Lamps...how Do They Work?

If I fill a lamp with oil and then halfway through it being empty, I top it off with tar. What happens to the fuel?

Is it full of tar?

Is it full of oil?

Is it half oil and half tar? If so, how does it burn fuel?

Does it use the oil first and then uses the oil?

I think the best thing to do here is only allow one type of fuel to be filled in a lamp. If I put tar in the lamp, I then need to refill with tar and it won't allow oil to be filled. If I want to use oil in the same lamp, I would have to let the tar burn off all the way and the lamp go out and then need to fill with oil.

Also, would be nice to add a "pour" option on lamps where the owner or person who planted the lamp can empty the fuel if they want to.

Edited by Smokie

I would say the most logical thing that happens is what ever the last fuel used to fill it converts what is being used.

Unless I am mistaken... what fuel is burning is a moot subject. Oil or Tar burn at the same consumption. The only difference is if you are deeded and provide Oil for your guards they will auto refill your lanterns when needed.

Lamps are no containers, it is neither oil nor tar, just "fuel"

if you put in tar, fuel goes up,

if you put in oil, fuel goes up.

Also it seems the oil barrel only gets used when lamp is completely empty, so when you refill with tar while it is still lit, you can save oil.

Lamps are no containers, it is neither oil nor tar, just "fuel"

if you put in tar, fuel goes up,

if you put in oil, fuel goes up.

Also it seems the oil barrel only gets used when lamp is completely empty, so when you refill with tar while it is still lit, you can save oil.

Hmmm okay then that makes sense. Thx for the clarification!

In wiki it says "Oil is rumored to produce light for longer than tar." is this statement false then?

In wiki it says "Oil is rumored to produce light for longer than tar." is this statement false then?

I hate rumors... (well... except for the Fleetwood Mac album of course).

meh I'll stick with tar atm... seeing as how I still have yet to refill it even after the change...

It is certainly possible, depends on how complex that fuel is. It is even possible that it actually remember if it is oil or tar.

After rethink it it is even possible that lamps actually have an invisible tank, but it would make less sense form a programmatic view.

But you never know how Rolf does something and he never tells either.