Sign in to follow this  
Plebian

Vaults/safes

I would like to implement an item like a safe and/or a vault. You can build a ship to store things in on land now, and use it for more secure storage than lets say a chest. It also has permissions to allow villagers/friends to use it. It always looks quite odd that a boat is sitting in a house.

I would suggest we add a safe that can be planted like a lamp post, and it increases in how difficult it is to pick by lock QL AND safe QL. It would basically just be a boat that can be planted only with a different graphic. They could be made of different materials that increases the damage they take to destroy, and the material could change the difficulty of picking said safe. They might also have different volumes as well. There could be reinforced wood safes, iron safes, and steel safes. The creating of safes could fall under the locksmith skill. The safe should also have permissions just like a boat does now. It seems to be a simple thing to add with all the mechanics needed for a working safe already being coded for boats. The graphic could be changed a bit, and the menu changed a small amount. It seems a simple elegant solution to the odd look of boats being used for somewhat secure and simple storage on deeds.

It would also be nice to implement a vault door for mines. The vault door requires one empty cave floor square with two reinforced walls on each side to be planted. These could be made from wood/iron ribbon/doorlock for reinforced wood vault doors, iron bars/iron lumps/doorlock for iron vault doors, and steel sheets/doorlock for steel vault doors. They could use the permissions just like a mine door. They could be twice as strong as minedoors of the same materials, and be as hard to pick as boats based on QL. It would be ideal that it requires 30-45 seconds to open and close, and require the player to activate by menu. That way they could not be used as gate hopping measures in mines. It would basically work like right clicking door, 30 second cast time to open vault door, walk thru vault door, and right click vault door with 30 second cast time to close.

These seem like two relatively easy things to implement. The safe is basically already being done with boats in houses, and the vault doors in mines seems fairly easy to code. It would also add some more things for locksmiths to do and perhaps have something to imp for skill at high level.

• Like 1

Just curious, What benefit does a boat on deed have over a house? Can't we just make a small house and give certain people permissions to access and call that a vault? I like the idea of vaults and safes, but I don't see the benefit of the boat as opposed to a locked house.

Edited by Eyesgood

Just curious, What benefit does a boat on deed have over a house? Can't we just make a small house and give certain people permissions to access and call that a vault? I like the idea of vaults and safes, but I don't see the benefit of the boat as opposed to a locked house.

Boats are harder to pick, hold a ton of stuff, etc.

Boats are harder to pick, hold a ton of stuff, etc.

Bingo. They are much harder to pick, and the boat gets harder to pick the higher the QL. Plus you can put a few boats in a larger house.

Do large chests not get harder to pick the higher the QL?

I realise not everything that fits in a boat, also fits in a large chest, but perhaps we only need a lockable trunk or something - size and shape of a coffin, but wood and ribbons and lockable with similar coding to boats for picking difficulty?

The other 'issue' if it is infact one, is that the OP idea would allow an easy way to grind locksmithing. THis is currently not a fast skill and I'm happy with it being so. It's not that I don't want people to have lots of high QL picks, because they can be spammed very easily on a small amount of iron, but it's more the idea of hundreds of people having easy access to billions of high QL locks for saccing which will make enchants all the more common I feel. Current accounts with high locksmithing have had a lot of work put in to be able to do such,and while those are able to churn out locks for saccing, I feel that for such a key 'ingredient' in enchanting, a certain amount of work has gone in. I'd be happier with the safe/trunk making skill being Fine Carp.

As far as vaults go - I'm less keen on internal mine doors as a whole idea. I can envisage whole tunnels with rows of the damn things to slow down raiders/attackers. For a vault door, I would definitely make it so it can only be built at the end of a tunnel - 3 reinforced walls. Although if under a deed, you could then mine away one of the reinforced walls after placing it...

They do, but boats are still FAR harder to pick. The main thing that really makes me prefer a boatchest over a chest though is the permissions. I don't have to unlock the thing every time to grab something, and I can let other people in it without needing the key either.

As for the suggestion, safes would be a neat idea, but I'd rather just have the safe based on blacksmithing/carpentry and then you add a door lock (or maybe padlock for the key?) and has the vehicle permissions setting.

As for the suggestion, safes would be a neat idea, but I'd rather just have the safe based on blacksmithing/carpentry and then you add a door lock (or maybe padlock for the key?) and has the vehicle permissions setting.

This

I realise not everything that fits in a boat, also fits in a large chest, but perhaps we only need a lockable trunk or something - size and shape of a coffin, but wood and ribbons and lockable with similar coding to boats for picking difficulty?

The other 'issue' if it is infact one, is that the OP idea would allow an easy way to grind locksmithing. THis is currently not a fast skill and I'm happy with it being so. It's not that I don't want people to have lots of high QL picks, because they can be spammed very easily on a small amount of iron, but it's more the idea of hundreds of people having easy access to billions of high QL locks for saccing which will make enchants all the more common I feel. Current accounts with high locksmithing have had a lot of work put in to be able to do such,and while those are able to churn out locks for saccing, I feel that for such a key 'ingredient' in enchanting, a certain amount of work has gone in. I'd be happier with the safe/trunk making skill being Fine Carp.

As far as vaults go - I'm less keen on internal mine doors as a whole idea. I can envisage whole tunnels with rows of the damn things to slow down raiders/attackers. For a vault door, I would definitely make it so it can only be built at the end of a tunnel - 3 reinforced walls. Although if under a deed, you could then mine away one of the reinforced walls after placing it...

What is the difference between putting in a vault door and just collapsing mines and reinforcing them? You could at least have a chance at cracking a vault door. Plus if the vault doors take 30 seconds to open and 30 seconds to close. It stops gate hopping in mines with em.

What skill the vaults/safes go under can be carp/blacksmith. It would just be nice to have a more elegant solution than boats everywhere for the permissions.

I wouldn't mind a lockable container with large cart capacity with boat picking difficulty and minedoor style permissions that will allow me to choose village/alliance/kingdom/individual names for access.

What is the difference between putting in a vault door and just collapsing mines and reinforcing them? You could at least have a chance at cracking a vault door. Plus if the vault doors take 30 seconds to open and 30 seconds to close. It stops gate hopping in mines with em.

What skill the vaults/safes go under can be carp/blacksmith. It would just be nice to have a more elegant solution than boats everywhere for the permissions.

The difference is that you have to remove the reinforced tile yourself when you need to get past it, with interior mine doors you could have a mine door on every tile 24/7... making it virtually impossible to get through the tunnel without the permissions.

The difference is that you have to remove the reinforced tile yourself when you need to get past it, with interior mine doors you could have a mine door on every tile 24/7... making it virtually impossible to get through the tunnel without the permissions.

At 30 seconds to open and 30 seconds to close each door. It would hardly be feasible to leave them closed 24/7 if you planned to walk down that mine at all. If you had one each tile it would be 1 minute per tile moved to open then close the vault door. That seems like a solid enough incentive to just leave them open most times. You could still go thru and lock it/them when you log, or if a raid shows up. Just like you can collapse and reinforce a single tile and protect a mine now when raids show up.

Any container, vehicles included, become more difficult to pick when higher ql. Theres several other factors including whether its a small ship or a large ship.

Vaults and safes had better be pickable. Its bad enough we already have mine doors that are invulnerable.

Crafting-wise, the lock could simply be a new type of lock: combination (technically its actually a permutation) that can be slapped unto whatever container one wants.

However (and this is important), its childs play to bruteforce most game forms of combination locks, especially ones with tech from a medievalish-renaissance era. Something to be mindful of.

Edited by Klaa