Sign in to follow this  
Faithillen

Coinlab Causing Lag?

It's kinda nice that we get some change for just simply running the program, but has anyone experienced major lag as a result of running it?

The only solution to the lag was by clicking on the option that said "When minimized, only run when idle". But, it's been about 30 minutes now and no iron coins as a result. Anyone experience something different?

It's kinda nice that we get some change for just simply running the program, but has anyone experienced major lag as a result of running it?

The only solution to the lag was by clicking on the option that said "When minimized, only run when idle". But, it's been about 30 minutes now and no iron coins as a result. Anyone experience something different?

Better off not runing it, only when your asleep or oher wise away from the computer.

Edited by Twi

That's the concept of the program, it uses your computer resources to generate money

I hav never installed coinlab, nor any Bitcoin program in my life, so my question is two part, a) Is it included in the wurm DL files, and b)If the awnser is no, why would I still be lagging ingame? Unless it is casued but the enourmouse data transfer that occurs when the lab its self connects to the wurm servers to drop pennys into people's accounts.

Well, not only does Wurm lag, but essentially any program that I use is laggy as hell, so it must be abundant file exchanges happening for it to lag my computer up.

Im still wondering If wurm is backdooring us, to a degree, because Ive had lag so bad on wurm, Chat's wont go through =S

There has been some especially bad lag the past few weeks, it is "probably" not CoinLab but I would also like reassurances from Wurm that NO FILES from them are downloaded onto our computers with the Wurm client, unless we SPECIFICALLY have asked to join that program. I would be extremely upset if I discoveredd the wurm client automatically downloads these files to everyone when they install or update the basic Wurm client. Frankly, that would be one of the very few things that would cause me to boycott and even leave the game.

More probably the lag recently is caused by achievements, global chat, or some other recent code change.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Rolf has already mentioned a few times in IRC that the lag could be caused by numerous things, one of the issues being registration/shop connections running out because they're being pinged often. Another being GL-Kchat (hence why it was disabled), another being grass (disproved, and grass now grows again).

There are no files being downloaded and hidden onto your PC from CoinLab, the lag is a server thing, NOT an issue with your PC.

The problem is it's not that easy to say 'THIS is causing the lag'. Because it's still being figured out. It requires a bunch of random tests and trials to narrow it down and then work from there. So far, it's easier to say what is NOT causing the lag.

All we can ask for is your patience while the developers figure things out. Especially because Rolf is going on vacation.

Thank you.

Hi, this is Peter Vessenes, the CEO of CoinLab.

We only distribute our client to people who opt in, sign up and download from us; it's a windows executable, not a java file. To be clear, no CoinLab files are distributed by Wurm.

A couple of other comments; we're working hard on the generation while idle logic, trying to get it better, faster, and less intrusive. We have a new release coming out soon that will be definitely better, and we're working hard at it. One of the funny problems with the at least one version is that when a user tests it to see if it works, they keep bringing it up and looking at it, thus de-idling the computer (we check for mouse movements), and therefore not earning anything... Like I said, we'll get better at it. Also, the client auto-updates like Chrome, so it will keep getting better without work on your part.

All that said, we have been working with Rolf to see if lag is coming from us, and changed a few things about how often we're delivering in-game iron to people -- we were opening up a lot of TCP/IP connections simultaneously, and think that it may have been affecting login. Our fixes went in yesterday, so hopefully we'll be able to see any changes by now.

• Like 1

As to why you are getting "lag" - our client is computationally intensive. If you experience performance decreases, we recommend pausing the client or using the "When minimized, only run when idle" when playing games. Whether you can run our client and the game simultaneously is based on your particular hardware setup: some people have no problems and it cuts FPS in half for others.

"When minimized, only run when idle" means that the client will not perform computation until you haven't moved the mouse or made a keystroke for 30 seconds.

Does the CoinLab Client run with normal or lower priority? (this is a question for both the dev's standart and OP's setting)

Because when it runs on low priority, the system should automatically prevent it from interfering with anything running on higher priority.

(provided that works properly on windows)

The client runs on low priority, and is designed to not interfere with any other processes (get out of the way when something else needs computational power).

We are still working out the kinks though, and don't recognize GPU load from other processes very well yet. That is why some users experience slowing of GPU-accellerated programs while the client is running, like certain web-browsers or 3D games.