Sign in to follow this  
Darkmalice

Naming Features For The Cmp

This is only me naming certain key features for the community map. It is not any kind of official naming. It does not stop anyone calling anything whatever they like.

I will not be naming every island, only the largest and then only if all the deeds there agree on a name.

I will not be naming mountains.

Here is a list of what I would like people to suggest names for. In the case of lakes, bays or islands, all the deeds staying must agree or hold no objection to the suggested name. If there's dispute, I won't name it. Once a name has been put up on the map, it will not be removed. If you wanted to name it, well you should've deeded there.

The exceptions to this is are the central sea and the steppe. They are far too large for anyone to have rights over. I will chose from the suggestions for these based on popularity.

So;

feats.png

1. Union Island, Tin Can Island (residents being consulted)

2. The Dead Steppe, The Great Plain, Hell Moor,

3. Central island. (residents being consulted)

4. NW island (residents being consulted)

5. Dragonskull Island (residents being consulted)

6. Shieldwall Bay, Skjaldborg Marr, Northmere

7. Deadnoob Sea, Celebration Sea, Inner Sea, Dancing Bay,

7 (upper). Tap Dance Passage

7 (lower). South Sea

Please put your suggestions in this thread.

[EDIT] Suggestions added to OP

Edited by Darkmalice

6) Shieldwall Bay, after that rather unique looking mountain stretching across it.

6) Shieldwall Bay, after that rather unique looking mountain stretching across it.

we need a community effort to make a tunnel through that thing.

since I live on a bay that will apparently be unnamed, I refrain from voting on this.

5 - Dragonskull (Island?)

A few travelers have used "Dragonskull" as a reference point already. I understand you don't want to name the water and the deed Dragonskull Bay exists there, but some variation of Dragonskull for this island would be appreciated.

Based on, er, weeks of experience of living in the middle of number 7, I have a name that reflects the reality of the location: the Deadnoob Sea. (Well, Vetarnic Sea would be nice too, and I was probably the first one to swim and settle across it, but let's be modest.) If you absolutely want a second choice, I guess nobody would object to a generic and unimaginative name such as Celebration Sea.

Maybe each number 7 deserves a different name, too, separated by the Tap Dance Passage (between Tap Dance and Blackflame Island) and, of course, the Blackflame Strait between Blackflame Island and the south shore.

Edited by Vetarnic

i agree with dragonskull island,and giving different names to the two 7

I like the name blackflame strait, but it isn't much of a strait there (up by dragonskull is more of a strait). If the popular opinion is the two 7's should have different names, I'm fine with that.

Most people call #7 the Inner sea

Ugh. There's an 'inner sea' on inde already. It's a horrible name.

I like the name blackflame strait,

You could always use the name between TD and the island, if you give different names to both #7's.

(up by dragonskull is more of a strait)

And that one could be called *cough* the Northwest Passage.

I'd like to suggest The Dead Steppe for 2, this is due to it's reputation of spawning many many greenish trolls that constantly threaten neighbouring settlements. Not to mention the significant amount of champions spawning on and around it:)

And that one could be called *cough* the Northwest Passage.

lol Double-meaning names ftw

1. Where Has all the copper gone Island

Yorke will agree with me on this one.

I'd like to suggest The Dead Steppe for 2

I agree with The Dead Steppe too... in honour of the player on it who is killing the steppe with animal hoarding and blocking off land access to the southern half with his massive and unnecessary fence perimeter.

A bay seems more like the sort of thing that would be off the open sea rather than some interior body of water, so I'd like to propose we think of a more correct term for 6. I'll sleep on it and see what I can come up with. It strikes me more as a cove or a firth.

[edit: I know that lakes and other interior bodies of water CAN have formations called bays, but generally when most folks think of a bay, it's facing open ocean. e.g. the Hudson, Chesapeak, and Montego Bays]

Edited by The_Zenith

1. Where Has all the copper gone Island

Yorke will agree with me on this one.

Id much prefer 'We love Tin, yes we do!' :D

But on a more serious note, the SE Island currently has the main deed named as 'Union Island' maybe it could be refered to as that? (If Asciana agrees)

As for number 7, not entirely accurate as a bay is more of an inlet but 'Dancing Bay?'

Edited by York

I agree with The Dead Steppe too... in honour of the player on it who is killing the steppe with animal hoarding and blocking off land access to the southern half with his massive and unnecessary fence perimeter.

How about (2) "Hell Moor" as it does seem to be filled with hell horses and hell hounds? :)

I wasn't suggesting 6 has to be 'something lake' or 'something bay', just to clarify. I like firth (good Scottish word), but those are normally a bit more river-like and narrow (might work for the length ending at dragon skull tho).

Anyway, continue.

I'll happily go with Union Island if York wants. But i'm going to also suggest Tin Can Island. Only because of our horrendous amounts of tin veins.

Edited by Asciana

6) I'd like to suggest Skjaldborg Marr (which, in Norse, translates to shieldwall sea). The alliance I'm in lives on it and is called The Vikingr. Skjaldborg Saer would also work, since saer is an inlet of the sea, which this sort of is.

With respect to 6, I approve of Rekker's (The_Zenith) sentiment, BUT that name is impossible to remember. Names for these things should be short and crisp, in my judgment. I think Elyadme's suggestion has a great deal of merit as well.

I don't like 'bay' for 6, because it doesn't open into the sea itself and although I like Elyadme's "Shieldwall" name for the distinctive mountains north of 6, I don't think it's a good name for the water itself.

For 6, I think the anglo-saxon word "mere", which means "lake that is broad in relation to its depth" is entirely appropriate. Since it's in the north and touches all of the northern lands, I think the O.E. "Northmere" is sufficient, accurate, easy to spell, distinctive, and short (a boon for cartography).

The body of water NORTH of the Shieldwall could absolutely qualify as a Shieldwall Bay, and I will happily call it such. I own a deed on it (and two that touch the shore of 6), so I feel comfortable commenting on each. If the name is not disagreeable, it might easily be extended to the central and southern interior basins as "Middlemere" and "Southmere" as well. Short, sweet, accurate, and distinctive to Cele.

Furthermore, there will be a forum announcement soon of a canal project through the Shieldwall, by way of my deed Hronraad (O.E. for 'whale road'), which extends north from 6 through the Shieldwall and connects both bodies of water. The project will start as soon as I finish my house and the initial terraforming at Wealdin Anchorage.

As an aside, just about everyone in the 11 or 12 settlements in the Víkingr Alliance call the massive birch forest east of 6 "The Spiderwood".

Thanks again, Darkmalice, for your excellent work on the map (and other maps over the years).

On second thought, the water directly northwest of 6 on the map, on the other side of the Shieldwall, is a fjord and not a bay, so Shieldwall Fjord is probably more appropriate.

DM, any interest in setting this up with the google maps API? Since we have all the tiles already it likely would not be that hard. I'm willing (and able) to help with the necessary programming. PM me if you're interested.

I'm looking at having the next version up as a googlemap for the zoom levels, adding markers and such is something I have no idea about. When this version is left behind I'll probably host it as a gmap too, for anyone who doesn't like what I'm doing in future.

If there's a good resource on the API you could point me at that might help though.

Their API docs are a good place to start: https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/javascript/v2/overlays#CustomMapTiles

By manufacturing different zoomed tile sizes you could allow some degree of zooming in and out. A pie-in-the-sky wishlist might include a vector map with the option to toggle 'terrain view', showing the mapdump data. There's also documentation in there for the marker manager (settlement and feature names) and custom icons (I'm thinking trader and mailbox).

Another cool feature might be to use a draggable marker to help users report coordinates for roads, settlement, etc. Obviously, if it could submit to a form (via google docs) it'd take some pain out of updating the map.