Sign in to follow this  
Wox

Hedges

they look bad in my opinion, they need to be more roughed up like someone else said.. they look like a green stone wall, not even a plant

sorry

Edited by Narlis

shrubbery comment above ^

uhm I like them :D just wondering how protective they will be :P I would guess like woven fences?XD

Hm... 2-3 height variants, possibly have a "hidden" type walkthrough variant and a type with a visiable fence. Let the massive hedge mazes commence.

• Like 1

I very much like the idea of an aesthetic addition. I like making my deed look nicer.

If the ones the size of fences and tall stone walls can be used to keep animals in and people out, I would use them to make more interesting looking pens and fields.

I would like to see a gate that fits well with them. Even a simple wooden fence gate with an arch of greenery the height of the tall stone wall variant of the shrubbery would make for nice entryways.

Edited by Gorwst
  • Like 1

I like the idea of a growing wall ( hedge ). But I do agree on the comments that they look a bit like green rock walls.

Beside all that its a great idea and nice that you have shown it to us.

The main part in having it made available is in how its to be introduced.

Making it possible to grow sprouts and even flowers on border tiles is a start. If thats a problem then the tile itself will need to be used to plant the sprout. Im assuming that we will need to plant these so regardless if they are on border or the tile itself we would have to add a new option to planting sprouts.

Like planting trees we activate the sprout and select the place to plant, but in this case a new option "plant hedge" becomes available. The sprout used determines the foliage of the hedge ( so we already have the art work for that ). By selecting "hedge" on the planting menu the ground looks just like a small tree but the foliage should cover the entire borer or tile. The next stage (mature ?) the tile should be normal wall height. At this stage or later it will need occasional pruning to maintain that height. Allowing it to grow unpruned to ( old?) will result in a hedge height similar to a tall wall. From that point on if the hedge isnt pruned it may become withered whereupon it will die out on the next stage and need replacing.

Regardless of height hedges should provide security and strength similar to a stone wall, but allowing the tall hedges the added ability of stopping arrows.

like all suggestions for new content we need to look through the subject to ensure feasability, and in this case I dont see any great problems in its introduction provided Rolf has the resources available for the necessary coding. But I do like this and can see it adding a lot to the game play as well as the aesthetic value it will bring.

Just an opinion.

You could just call them ivy fence and make them an actual fence that way there is nothing to do other then add the new fence into the game you would make them with planks, mixed grass, nails and maybe dirt? If you make them this way you would not have to worry about adding the growth and the planting thing on tile boarders. It would be bad to be running a maze event and half your work is in the growing stage and not function the way it should.

I look forward to growing grape vines on my walls and fences :) One day... But in the meantime, hedges are good :)

• Like 1

Looking forward to lots of types of hedges e.g. Grapes, Thorns, box (new type) and maybe blackberries (new type)

You want the truth?? they look like stone walls painted with green leaves texture. They are too skinny also.

I like the Idea though keep trying!! :P

You want the truth?? they look like stone walls painted with green leaves texture. They are too skinny also.

I like the Idea though keep trying!! :P

Whenever I read this description, I think "Oh, that sounds awful!" and I have to go back and look at the pics again. I don't think they look like stone walls at all, and the thickness is appropriate to tile border width.

I do think a sprout should be required to build the fence, if we go with Kegan's idea of making it a fence type.

Many of the ancient european hedge rows are pretty much half earth, half hedge. Funny thing is thats the foundation Wurm pvp defenses developed from: thorn-infested earthworks.

Edited by Klaa

Would be nice to see some hybrids of stone and hedge, like the iron fences.

I love this idea! I also think it would bew easy to implement if you used it as another fence structure and using a sprout as part of the elements is a neat idea. I also like the suggestion of a gate with an arch and greenery.

Looks great :).

But what is that red-green-white-thing on left of first screenshot?

^ yea what that?

Hedges look nice, but is that a dinosaur?

No, It's a Snark.

Eh? no shrubbery comments? Psh, kids these days...

When the idea was first posted I sugested cutting down a tree with a herring, no one noticed. :P "Psh, kids these days..." :)

Edited by GravityDog

Just started planting some hedges, they are going to make my Fo garden look GREAT! Thanks!

Love these new things! Curious how they compare to maintain over time vs other fence, as they seem to be just as hard to destroy but not follow same max slope limits.

Only wish I could store my sprouts someplace while i wait for the time where the hedges might look different! *keeps on the sprout on bsb/fsb crusade*

Eh? no shrubbery comments? Psh, kids these days...

:D

I don't understand why they have a quality and damage, I mean yeah I understand you typically have to bash a hedge down in real life to destroy them, but couldn't a simple cut down option work, like a tree?

And also, [19:01:57] You wave at a fence frantically.

I don't understand why they have a quality and damage, I mean yeah I understand you typically have to bash a hedge down in real life to destroy them, but couldn't a simple cut down option work, like a tree?

And also, [19:01:57] You wave at a fence frantically.

I did see someone say you would get an option to prune them and be able to pass through them like when they are planted. I am not sure how that is going to work on the PvP servers or if that was even true.

Edited by Kegan

Will it be nice to see them planted everywhere off deed areas, blocking ones vision of the surrounding environment, possibly blocking being able to pass through them, taking the same amount of time to destroy as other fencing/walls? I think not. They should at the least be as easy to chop down as trees so we can remove the nusiance ones planted randomly about our areas.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

being able to prune them to make them passable... maybe now a few more people will consider carrying a sickle with them, which is always going to be a good thing.

and if people are going to plant border things randomly like you say ayes, i would rather they did it with hedges than fences. frankly, i don't see many people doing it just for the sake of it though.

Edited by Wraithglow

I Like the idea but i must say they realy look like stone walls on green version, and i don't like the idea of making them being as strong as tall stone walls. cause their not... :)

About the minecrawler... well they look good but i think it doesn't fit in wurm traditional way.

Goodluck and keep the good work fellows

Edited by Maedhros

they look bad in my opinion, they need to be more roughed up like someone else said.. they look like a green stone wall, not even a plant

sorry

Depends on the hedges you are used to seeing in real life. There are some bushes that have tight leaves, and when properly groomed look a LOT like those bushes.

It's just a standard template atm. Different graphics for the different types are on the way.