Sign in to follow this  
Shalbriri

Client Repeatedly Quits Running

Shalbriri, can you contact me via IRC please. I would like to go over a few troubleshooting steps to see if we can find any sort of issue.

Done - thanks much for the time, we'll figure this out eventually :)

http://pastebin.com/WB2iFAzh

Edited by Shalbriri

The garbled text has me wondering about character encoding. 'e' and 'U' are (hex) 10 off from each other. I don't know if that means anything. The logs seem to suggest the client is crashing after discovering that a number of things don't exist. If your text is garbled, the the information from the server may be wrong as well, lending to those errors.

I also don't mean to suggest simple things, but have you tried doing a diagnostic on your system memory? Garbled text, graphics, and missing links/entities are symptoms of bad memory. I think you mentioned Windows? There's a diagnostic tool from Microsoft that has helped me in the past: http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

It's worth a try... and I know you've said other games have worked fine. I once chased a problem around for over a month with a friend's machine. WoW would crash, but only when he'd do this one action. Nothing else would show problems. Apparently it had to do with the way the bits were being set in a specific location of memory. The data would become corrupt and all heck would break loose.

Happening again in a horrible fashion, regardless of what toon I try. The PC is fine, all drivers up to date. A GM spent 45 mins via VNC client in my PC the other day and found no issues.

I replaced all the RAM today with spares I had, even though memtest saw no faults on the previous RAM. Installed a brand new NIC in the machine, disabled the onboard NIC. New, known good router and DSL modem. No odd ping nor tracert findings. Brand new fresh install of Windows 7 x64 and Java on a brand new hard disk. In short, there's nothing wrong with the machine.

Getting network alignment errors most of the time now, if if I get past that - instant crashes as below. Help please, I'm paying for 5 prem toons and now again entirely unable to even logon.

Seems to start happening in a severe fashion when noticeable lag begins, I'm 110% certain it's a network issue and I've found no culprits on my end at all, and I've even tried different broadband connections from entirely separate ISP's.

http://pastebin.com/8T8rwKmN

Edited by Shalbriri

17 jul, in the circumstances i'm change my location in real life and relatively change my internet provider too (same computer but other provider) and type of connection (WiFi router connection before, general ADSL connection now ).No crashes for me in this period.

Before i have

1-st computer Generel LAN PPOE connection !with no crashes! ,D-LINK DWA-125 as WiFi Acces Point in first computer and share Internet connection to second computer !with crashes!

No problems in other games in second computer (PING, lost packets e.t.c)

Now i have that "second computer" without crashes

I'm hope my information help with solving this problem.

Edited by InLun

Any ideas of what I can try next? Been a month of these issues, and while they aren't widespread, it's still an issue and I'm paying for 5 prem accounts.

Replaced RAM, hard disks, NIC's. Different ISP's even. Nothing but Wurm acts up at all. Only constant is that it's 64 bit windows and 64 bit Java, and I've tried all Java versions, reinstalled the OS a few times now.

?

Just want to give a shout out to Zcul for being kind enough to give me a hand in an attempt to figure out a cause and a solution to this, hopefully can sort it soon. Will post any further oddities.

You GM's and devs in the trenches don't get nearly enough thanks, so credit where credit is due. Thanks, Zcul!

This is odd. The recurring error code I see here is java.nio.BufferUnderflowException

No clue what that means... but something, somewhere, is broken x)

I would suggest wiping ALL game files such as packs and letting them reinstall. This is odd though, it could be server side yet if it was then you'd expect it to happen to more than one person. This is the kind of program error that's being caused by something I don't understand, more help and attention needed x)

My guess is a Java issue?

Knowing how thorough you are I guess you've checked this, but do you always completely shut down your pc/when you crash do you restart your pc before attempting to play again? What's the processes running like for javaw.exe, is it staying a consistent level of memory/cpu or is it increasing?

As Docterchese said its java running above the buffer limit, of what that means I'm not sure.

Rebooting the system does nothing to help, and isn't a viable option as I can't reboot every 4 seconds after instacrashing. Was good for the last 24 hours, now this again. Note I've downgraded to Java 6 from 7 and see no real difference, stability wise.

http://pastebin.com/FShZ0tMB

It's not just Shalbrini having this issue, though.

The client just crashed for me (as it does half the time or more I try to play Wurm on GV in general), and this is an exerpt of the Java crash message: (I so do wish Java would let you cut and paste it!)

=========CLIENT CRASH===========

Unexpected crash while playing

java.nio.BufferUnderflowException

at java.nio.Buffer.nextGetIndex(Unknown Source)

at java.nio.HeapByteBuffer.getShort(Unknown Source)

at class.i.a(SourceFile:1117)

at class.kA.c(SourceFile:536)

at class.i.a(SourceFile:193)

at com.wurmonline.client.j.e(SourceFile:304)

at com.wurmonline.client.j.run(SourceFile:1300)

at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Now this doesn't happen every single time I log in, and only rarely happens when I log into my Independance server character. I'm using the latest version of Java on my PC (Windows 7), and it seems like it's been happening on and off since I upgraded Java from from version 6 to version 7. Generally, I'm forced to wait for a somewhat long period (If I try logging in as soon as it happens, it'll error out again), and if i wait long enough and try I can successfully log on again and remain playing for at least 50%+ of the time.

Not sure why, but definitely happens to me alot more on Golden Valley server with my character there than my character on Independance.

Edited by Tristanc

Aye, happening to more people that just me, your issues are nearly identical to mine in regards to frequency and such. If I crash out, I must wait a period then try again and occasionally I can get back on, etc.

Xsam is having similar issues as well, nearly identical to mine.

/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/63659-unexpected-crash

Note the lack of a dot between the server IP first and second octets..

Unable to locate server The error was: <19468.222.112>

It's possible you might figure out what's wrong from the log file below, but if you can't, post the full log on the wurm online forums, and someone else might be able to help you.

Rest of logs below in pastebin link.

http://pastebin.com/JA0z5k9p

Tracert findings:

C:\Users\JTL>tracert 194.68.222.112

Tracing route to wild001.game.wurmonline.com [194.68.222.112]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1

2 35 ms 85 ms 34 ms 10.145.220.1

3 68 ms 67 ms 67 ms chcgildtgr00.bb.telus.com [154.11.11.30]

4 69 ms 68 ms 69 ms d1-3-1-0-7.r04.chcgil09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [128.242.186.181]

5 90 ms 70 ms 67 ms ae-7.r20.chcgil09.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.4.145]

6 89 ms 96 ms 105 ms ae-4.r23.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.41]

7 112 ms 89 ms 90 ms ae-0.r22.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.72]

8 167 ms 172 ms 173 ms as-1.r22.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.255]

9 210 ms 165 ms 156 ms po-2.r00.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.2.78]

10 162 ms 172 ms 170 ms tdcnet.r00.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [83.231.199.246]

11 191 ms 192 ms 192 ms 62.65.8.17

12 201 ms 198 ms 201 ms 62.65.8.18

13 204 ms 193 ms 204 ms static-213.88.203.94.addr.tdcsong.se [213.88.203.94]

14 195 ms 198 ms 207 ms wild001.game.wurmonline.com [194.68.222.112]

Trace complete.

Crashlog immediately after doing the traceroute: http://pastebin.com/0k1wXbMy

Was on at about 6 AM this morning for the better part of 2 hours with zero issue, now this again. It is definitely happening far, far more often when there's more people online/IG.

Login server: Online - Affliction: 36 - Celebration: 172 - Chaos: 49 - Deliverance: 124 - Desertion: 33 - Elevation: 35 - Exodus: 96 - Golden Valley: 9 - Independence: 208 - Serenity: 36

http://pastebin.com/ePn2aD3e