Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Coinlab On The Roll!

The CoinLab Wurm Online client has entered open beta and Chris told me they are ready for promotion. I’m trying it myself and generating iron coins at a surprisingly good rate.

After the quick registration process where you provide an email address and info about your operating system and graphics card, I downloaded and installed the client. Took a few minutes all in all. I typed in my player name and it starts generating iron coins. I’m working while running the client, notice no impact and have a rate of around 120 iron coins an hour which is good enough for me:)

Here’s the link to the registration page: http://pool.coinlab.com/partners/wurm

Good luck!

PS Lanterns, torches and candles will be reverted to how they worked before today tomorrow because they were using a different poll method. DS.

View the full article

PS Lanterns, torches and candles will be reverted to how they worked before today tomorrow because they were using a different poll method. DS.

View the full article

Olive oil "fix" is being reverted?

or.... doing twiddling to torches candles and lanterns... now that lamps are "fixed" oooooooooooo ... we may be in trouble

People were reporting that personal lanterns were running out of oil 30 minutes after refuelling. I think, if I'm reading it correctly, that he's referring to fixing that bug tomorrow.

PS: Lanterns, torches and candles will be reverted (to how they worked before today) tomorrow because they were using a different poll method. DS.

View the full article

Fixed. :)

Edited by Moxie

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, June 27, 2012 - Inappropriate
Hidden by KaiH, June 27, 2012 - Inappropriate

People were reporting that personal lanterns were running out of oil 30 minutes after refuelling. I think, if I'm reading it correctly, that he's referring to fixing that bug tomorrow.

Fixed. :)

Ah, i knew it was expecting too much for Rolf to be a reasonable person...

I’m trying it myself and generating iron coins at a surprisingly good rate.

is anyone else thinking... server lag? xD

(only joking of course)

• Like 1

Just want to remind everyone, you pay for all those teraflops you lend out there. It seems my average is about 350 iron/hour, all that while my card is working on averaged 80% so I assume it's averaged 70W more than normal wurming (Radeon 7870). Considering power in Poland costs 0,10 euro per kWh, then I'm paying 70 iron per hour. So effectively I'm gaining 280 iron/hour.

However power can be much more expensive in many places, for example in Germany I would be "paying" 168 iron per hour, leaving me with just 182 profit.

Also the older the card, the less effcient it will be. Especialy fermi-based nvidia cards (4xx, 5xx) may give much less gain per extra W. With some cards it may in fact, cost you more than you gain. For example GF 570 should be nearly 2x less efficient, 470 almost 3x. GT 9xxx line may approach 5x, with these cards you are bound to lose. Older Radeons may end up similarly, despite higher theoretical power, depending on what kind of calculations are being done here.

Also, there is a noticeable impact on the client on radeon, but the game is playable and maybe lower settings would solve it. May also be less so on nvidia as their drivers seem to be better handled by wurm.

PS. Seems my average is now down to 250.

PPS. Left for the night, the average seems to be holding at 300. It would be nice, if someone could tell me his results on GF, especially 5xx or 6xx.

PPPS. If you want to get more players using it, you better explain nicely how it works, as this seems to scare people off. For example that this is bitcoin network and what is bitcoin... not so easy to find out you know.

Edited by Aldur
  • Like 1

geforce gt 240 1gb mem, only 24/hr so far. but way over here in canada too. only on 2 hrs so far though

now over 8 hrs total iron coins 150 gained.

Edited by validate

left it on during the night

my average stayed at --- and i gained 0 iron coins

left it on during the night

my average stayed at --- and i gained 0 iron coins

I solved that by right clicking the .exe and running it as an adminstrator. (It's in %localappdata%/coinlab/miningclient/)

Mine stays at 0 iron and ... rate even when run as Administrator?..

Mine stays at 0 iron and ... rate even when run as Administrator?..

Even if you let it run for a bit? CoinLab will probably be interested in your log file.. :)

I actually contacted coinlab on the noted support email with screenshots and i got a response from group admin below:

Hello _________,

We're writing to let you know that the group you tried to contact (support) may not exist, or you may not have permission to post messages to the group. A few more details on why you weren't able to post:

* You might have spelled or formatted the group name incorrectly.

* The owner of the group may have removed this group.

* You may need to join the group before receiving permission to post.

* This group may not be open to posting.

Edited by Zatra

I forgot to mention the impact on GPU lifetime, especially if the card approaches high temps while mining. Up to 70C should be fine, tho not many have that kind of cooling. It's really silly nobody programmed a usage cap. It's now like running furmark all the time. :lol:

I forgot to mention the impact on GPU lifetime, especially if the card approaches high temps while mining. Up to 70C should be fine, tho not many have that kind of cooling. It's really silly nobody programmed a usage cap. It's now like running furmark all the time. :lol:

Most high end cards won't go past 70-80 if you buy the custom cooled variant aka MSI or Asus DC2/Mars

Most GPUs are clocked low enough so that their standard cooling is sufficient, that's why water cooling and overclocking usually go hand in hand.

And besides, how many GPUs get burned out before they are replaced with a better one?

And besides, how many GPUs get burned out before they are replaced with a better one?

I had that happen to me on a 4 year old Nvidia 8800 GT that never ran above 70'C... O_O

The above is what totally puts me off doing something like this - (good) components are expensive. Remember that while your computer is on generating bitcoins, all other components are still being used and worn down. Your hard disk doesn't stop spinning and the motherboard still has 1s and 0s to send around.

• Like 2

What exactly are they using all this computing power for by the way? I assume it's for some stupidly complex scientific calculations or something?

What exactly are they using all this computing power for by the way? I assume it's for some stupidly complex scientific calculations or something?

I had the same question and in this other thread was their response:

Here's a whitepaper we at CoinLab wrote about Bitcoin in January: http://coinlab.com/p...coin-primer.pdf.

In short, the computation you are doing is trying random numbers millions of times a second in a very unpredictable equation. When the result (ranges from 0 - 4 billion) is small enough (ex. less than 100), it is broadcast to the Bitcoin network and it creates new bitcoins. The threshold of what is small enough adjusts to the power of the network over time, so bitcoins are generated at a fairly constant rate. Bitcoin uses this difficult computation because it is an "honest indicator" of work - you cannot fake it, the only way to get the answer is to actually perform the computation. This prevents people from being able to make "counterfeit" bitcoins.

They answered all my questions in a straight-forward, well researched, and honest way even if the outcome meant the service may not be right for me. I don't encounter that very often...

They're "bit coin mining".

Coin lab uses your computation power, feeds it to the bitcoin network, and they pay them a sum of bit coins. For your service (you're making coin lab money), they pay you a portion of their total money gained in the form of silver. The question isn't really what they're doing with your computer power, so much as what they're doing with the bit coins they make. Bit coins are essentially an anonymous, above-the-government, untrackable form of currency that can be used to buy- well, anything. Legal or otherwise.

In all honesty, whether or not using the coin mining system is "profitable" for you is questionable. Bit coin mining in the first place generally takes up more money in your electric bill than it actually pays. With the middle man added, it's very unlikely that you're actually buying silver for less than the price listed in the store. Coin lab obviously benefits from this, as they're spending nothing in terms of electrical power, and simply paying you a portion of what they gain from the labor your computer performs.

• Like 1

This bit-coin mining seems rather sketchy to me, and I don't feel like trashing my computer when I can just buy the silver for probably much less than electricity and parts cost.

This bit-coin mining seems rather sketchy to me, and I don't feel like trashing my computer when I can just buy the silver for probably much less than electricity and parts cost.

This.

Sign in to follow this