Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Coinlab On The Roll!

It is nice to generate free coins, but a warning to everyone .... It will work your computer hard and non stop while you are running it. it is not like running certain games that work it hard then slow down over heating then cooling your card, this runs it at max temp constantly. I had to buy a new card after running this program, fair the card was old but this thing pushed it over the hill.

• Like 1

Well, it all depends on your electrical bill, which Cpu you are using currently and the overall power drain of your computer.

If you have a state of the art pc with 22 - 28nm cpu , 28nm Graphic card and an Gold rated efficient Psu coupled with low power costs I'd say bitcoin mining aint that bad.

geforce gt 240 1gb mem, only 24/hr so far. but way over here in canada too. only on 2 hrs so far though

now over 8 hrs total iron coins 150 gained.

Well, it all depends on your electrical bill, which Cpu you are using currently and the overall power drain of your computer.

If you have a state of the art pc with 22 - 28nm cpu , 28nm Graphic card and an Gold rated efficient Psu coupled with low power costs I'd say bitcoin mining aint that bad.

The main reason I won't use this program is because its cheaper just to buy the coins straight from the shop (or earn them in-game) compared to the cost of the electricity used by your computer while generating coins. :P

Edited by syncaidius

In this case, I think it depends more on GPU than CPU... but perhaps some overhead is offloaded onto CPU. Nonetheless, GPU power is what coinlab seems to focus on I think.

AMD will fare better than Nvidia as they handle mathematical computations more efficiently.

Good point on what is being bought with the Bitcoin made. On the other hand, I don't really believe this is being done out of a cave somewhere with evil masterminds planning to blow up the moon or anything. You can research the company itself, see where they stand in terms of venture capital, see how much information you can actually gather, you can further research that information to check its own validity... essentially do some research to back up your concerns rather than just imagining some dude with a tiny version of himself going "muahaha" just before raising his pinky to his lips.

Yes, that is how ridiculous it sounds when someone who hasn't really looked into it voices unfounded ideas they conjure up. Concerns are great, voicing them in form of question is great, but one's imagination should never be misinterpreted as anything close to fact without actual research. I understand you're only paranoid if you're wrong, and some people wearing tinfoil hats could really be chased by the CIA, I don't know. However, it can be really important for some folks to check themselves before paranoid thinking starts to define their reality prematurely, before concrete facts can be compared to one's imagination.

Anyway, all information necessary to compute your own profitability is out there. Again, research. Dig into some of the related threads on this forum and you'll get a great start on how to approach the question. Question, research, research more, conclude, then check conclusions. If no revisions seem necessary, check again.

Sorry to hear about a fried video card. Always a bummer, but certainly not unheard of. Ever see a PSU spewing smoke? Pretty funny and cool for maybe the first few seconds before it sinks in... you've just fried it.

What kind of card was it, specifically? How's the ventilation in your box? There's software out there that can help you keep tabs on hardware temperatures. They're not always spot-on, but it can give you a general idea of what the trends are. It's a good heads-up for anyone who might not have considered it before but you're not helpless in these situations. This is not a power-virus sereptitiously running your machine into the ground. It can be started by you, it can be stopped by you, it can be removed from your system by you. All the control of this thing is in your hands.

• Like 1

No one's being paranoid.

Coinlab most likely exchanges their Bitcoins for real currency, and operates as any other business does. Of course, they spend virtually nothing, and make sheer profit. To be honest, it's not a bad move on Rolf's part, seeing as they pay him a fair amount per person using the client.

Also, there is are differences between making accusations, expressing concerns, and postulating. To be honest, I don't care what they spend their money on, so it's not really a "concern". People should know what Bitcoins are if they're Bitmining. I also feel it's necessary to point out that, as Bit Coin mining usually isn't profitable for anybody who isn't using extremely power efficient systems, the idea that people will make money with a middleman (more so, a middleman who has to share part of their profits with Rolf, as well as keep some for itself) is flimsy at best. Pretty much everyone has said the same thing.

It's fair to warn people who aren't computer savvy that pushing their system to the max at all hours of the day has a good chance of burning out their parts. Maybe not immediately. Maybe not for a year. But it certainly does reduce the lifespan.

It's fair to warn people who aren't computer savvy that pushing their system to the max at all hours of the day has a good chance of burning out their parts. Maybe not immediately. Maybe not for a year. But it certainly does reduce the lifespan.

^^^ This and the fact there's still no easy to use Linux client around (it should be possible already but too much of a hassle to me to just check it out) made me stay away from bit coin.

Sorry to hear about a fried video card. Always a bummer, but certainly not unheard of. Ever see a PSU spewing smoke? Pretty funny and cool for maybe the first few seconds before it sinks in... you've just fried it.

What kind of card was it, specifically? How's the ventilation in your box? There's software out there that can help you keep tabs on hardware temperatures. They're not always spot-on, but it can give you a general idea of what the trends are. It's a good heads-up for anyone who might not have considered it before but you're not helpless in these situations. This is not a power-virus sereptitiously running your machine into the ground. It can be started by you, it can be stopped by you, it can be removed from your system by you. All the control of this thing is in your hands.

I would recommend SpeedFan to monitor temperatures. Also, some NVidia card drivers allow you to manually change fan speeds - useful for keeping your graphics card cool. AMD may do something similar.

It's not that trivial I think. The whole concept wants you to run your GPU at full power to get some coins out of it and this has consequences:

If you don't have a high end water cooled system your machine is going to be pretty noisy while mining. It's also almost unusable at this times

so you likely don't want to be in the same room. Thus most people will mining unattended and unbraked by any kind of fan or speed controlling

software. This is a pretty dangerous mixture but also a quite realistic scenario.

But that's not the point: The wearout of your hardware doesn't need to show up that dramatically. It also could happen 1 or 2 years later in a

calm situation where it's impossible to blame a certain software for. It's just more than imaginable that running for many hours at full power will

very likely reduce the lifespan of your GPU. This is the case with all heat producing electric hardware, from your toaster over your light bulb to

your TV. Just common sense and a well know fact.

One thing you could do is temporary underclock your GPU while running the software... the reduction in voltage and heat will strain your card less. You won't get the same rate, but it's safer.

I just want to clarify that the risks are those listed above, not something "shady" about CoinLab as a company. While I would not recommend this for casual PC users, I have a custom-built system, and my electricity is included with my rent (flat rate). As such, I love watching those "free" deposits. Despite the use of my GPU and the risk of shortening it's life, I feel quite confident that I will replace it voluntarily long before this shortening of lifespan matters. /2cents

I just now installed coinlab. It could not detect my Radeon HD graphics card on two of my machines. I did not bother with the 3rd pc, since it is the same as my 2nd pc. It gave me a drop down list of two processors, which contained my cpu then a blank entry on both computers. My cpu's are only dual core, since I only game on them. But my gpu's are mega awesome. I selected to use my only option (cpu), and coinlab told me that my machine was too low in Mh/s to generate coins. There were no real settings. There was no further information on their site. ... So... I uninstalled it from both machines.

ATI Radeon HD 4850

ATI Radeon HD 6770

ATI Radeon HD 6770

Edited by Kamikazifly

This is a note specifically for Rolf, or CoinLabs - - I was playing Wurm in the Spring of 2012 and combined that with the CoinLabs Miner (* which I love! I enjoy all things BitCoin!) I was running the PC nonstop for days at a time and earning Irons. At some point - real life stepped in for a bit and I was away from the game. At BEST estimate I think the last time I was in game was in May or June 2012 - prior to my current period of gaming - But now that I am back in game - with a charater account of the same name (Aendi - Freedom Exodus server) - I do not see all the Irons in my account that were being acrrued over all this time.

Is there a way to credit / give my character the CoinLabs Irons he has rightfully earned? I have been - like I said - running the CoinLab client continually for months and months ... And at this point I show 15500.01 Irons total! That would really come in handy and is the reason I started using the CoinLab Miner to begin with ...

Attached, please find a screen shot - I can also grab any logs, or files you need for account and identiry and bitcoin client running verification - thanks for the consideration of my request!

aendi-coinlab-proof.jpg

Sign in to follow this