Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Even More Oil Denerfing

Listen here Bub, Facts are this I have already stated why I think this change is good enough. Now if you really want to draw everyone you can into your arguing with the trolling fine that is your choice.

Right now you get MANY olives from harvesting as well as MUCH LONGER burning times for lamps this results in way more fuel than you will ever need unless you choose to plant more lamps then you can care for.

That is a choice you make and the game should not cater to someone simply because they over extend their own resources.

Thank you for playing.

I'll give you the reverse then, just because a small minority thinks that people should be restricted on their imagination on a Sandbox game, should the majority that don't want to be restricted be?

As i stated before, i like Olives, have lots of empty tiles on my deed covered with either Olives, or Willows, or Oaks (where i live olives are big as ornamental trees), so, no this change is somewhat good enough for me... But unlike you, i think about what would be best for the community and the game in general, and the game is best served if the Open-ness, and free-flowing Sandbox feeling is kept, as opposed to having to cater to maintenance chores.

The main reason why Freedom players have deeds is to escape those chores. Cutting those perks and adding more chores (remember many people have farms to tend, or animals to do, in adition to their favourite crafts, terraforming and construction). Then there's people who prefer to play casually after they grow to a certain point. So should we start shutting down freedom, and kicking all but the die-hard, hardcore gamers n Epic only?

I don't think Code club would last a month afterwords.

So "People are used to" is reason enough to be never corrected in your book? What's wrong with stick to in-game terms instead?

This is nothing more than just another unnecessary stumble stone for new players, think about it...

I didn't say "used to", i said the term used is...

I do agree that terminology is a sketchy thing, but the majority rule applies here, most people are used to calling Deed Guards to Spirit Templars, so the majority won't find these terms confusing. Its the same as using terms as LFG, BRB, Mobs, NPC, etc. Sometimes in-game terminology changes but the community usually creates their own convention.

Actually, most new players will adhere faster to "Deed Guard", since its self-explanatory.

Edited by ReaverKane

Actually, most new players will adhere faster to "Deed Guard", since its self-explanatory.

I would shut up when at least the term "Deed Guard" would be used but most of the times it's just "guard" even when the context isn't clear. If something the majority is used to is crap then the majority has to move, not the newcomers. It's like in real life (won't happen either I know).

Edited by picommander

That's the thing: one guy sais "I think" and everyone repeats "he claimed"

Afaik, no one got enough Karma to check and Rolf never tells anyway.

It could just as well summon light tokens in the area, or create a light aura.

I agree, it's why I tend to provide links to the quote so the context comes with...if people choose to just re-quote without reading, not much anyone can do about that.

As to the results of using Karma.. that was why I said it would/will depend on the rate of karma gathering from the various sources. Since one "known" way to gather karma is in PVP tower conquest, even if only on Epic, will be interesting to see how fast people can get to 500+ karma with and without the tower conquest once the issues are worked out.

And while it might be that use of the ability creates an aura or generates some form of light token, I'm not inclined to believe this is the real intent based on PVP being one of means to gather Karma. The light tokens make sense somewhat as it would allow you to illuminate a large area during combat to help keep people from hiding in the shadows. However for the cost listed, and what small reports of karma gains we've seen.. the cost far out weights the benefit/gather rate.. better to save the point for that corpse retrieval or portal.

And a light aura in PVP is worse than useless unless you are the bait.. and any bait that well lit up has to be a trap...

But lets wait to see what the players with access to karma report out once they've gathered more to play with. We'll know for sure at some point lol

Edited by Hussars

Karma is easy to get on Epic, I've got 2000 karma. One mission gives 1000 karma alone, supposedly conquering battle camps/towers and kills(?) give karma.

Karma is easy to get on Epic, I've got 2000 karma. One mission gives 1000 karma alone, supposedly conquering battle camps/towers and kills(?) give karma.

:blink:

Have you tried spending it on any of the options (lighting or otherwise)?

:blink:

Have you tried spending it on any of the options (lighting or otherwise)?

No, saving it for the free twigs, I don't need it for my 3 lamps.

I like this. I love realism. But refilling lamps every couple days is too much especially if peoiple wnat to keep a road lit. What I like aobut all this is it at least acknowledges realism in the sense that it keeps track of fuel and consumption. It adds detail to the game where other games have none. Wurm, at heart, is a builder type game. It has to have this detail because this game is so heavily focused on building things and maintaining. Maintainting is a whole process in itself. Maintaining efficiently requires a signfiicant amount of thought just like building does.

I'm not ignoring exploring or hack/slash or missions or other things. I love to do those things too. But if that's what Wurm focused on, it would get stomped by bigger and better game that do those things better.

Edited by Lightonfoot

I like this. I love realism. But refilling lamps every couple days is too much especially if peoiple wnat to keep a road lit. What I like aobut all this is it at least acknowledges realism in the sense that it keeps track of fuel and consumption. It adds detail to the game where other games have none. Wurm, at heart, is a builder type game. It has to have this detail because this game is so heavily focused on building things and maintaining. Maintainting is a whole process in itself. Maintaining efficiently requires a signfiicant amount of thought just like building does.

I'm not ignoring exploring or hack/slash or missions or other things. I love to do those things too. But if that's what Wurm focused on, it would get stomped by bigger and better game that do those things better.

Couple of days??? I filled mine over a 8-10 days ago they are all still lit. Basically it looks like about 2 weeks or so is when you need to fill them I think that is perfectly fine. If you can't be bothered to refill you lamps every two weeks maybe you have too many??

Correction longer than two weeks...http://forum.wurmonl...120#entry635923 looks like 2 1/2 weeks or so.

Edited by Protunia

Am I wrong or can you not just use Tar instead? I've been using it forever..

Am I wrong or can you not just use Tar instead? I've been using it forever..

You're not wrong. I manually load tar in my deed lamps every couple of weeks.

You're not wrong. I manually load tar in my deed lamps every couple of weeks.

Yeah, but you can't use tar on oil barrels.

Seriously when people start prattling about realism on a game, specially a fantasy game with unicorns, trolls, dragons and magic... I feel like puking on their faces.

Edited by ReaverKane

Every fantasy game needs to stay in touch with realism, in a way. Otherwise I could suspect houses, horses, grass, trees as well and a lot more and in the end you have a "fantasy game" with colorful abstract structures that plays in nowhere land with rules that aren't from this world. Nothing more than a dull killer argument.

There's degrees of fantasy and of realism. But going about realism in a game, and a fantasy game at that, is moronic at best, specially when we're talking about details that make no sense, nor add any purpose other than make you do a chore that you shouldn't... The fact that lamps auto-filled wasn't that off with the ethos or the mythos of a game where you have grass and trees that never die, or houses that never need repairs.

So yeah, levels of realism might (or not) be required, depending on the scope and goal of a game. There's great games with psychedelic houses, and colors, where gravity bends and such... And they're great because they're games, and as such are there for entertainment and as a escape valve from daily life.

If you want real, i have a few trees that need cutting on my grandmother's backyard, i'll even lend you an axe.

Edited by ReaverKane
  • Like 1

Now Rolf confirmed that you indeed need to have templars to get lamps refilled I wish to make my point of view.

I have somewhere between 70 and 100 lamps on deed. They are almost all ql70+. Until now they seems to burn for at least a month when filled looks like less in mines (seems logical since they burn all the time). 1 silver each 30 days to fill 100 lamps thats 1 copper to get each lamp filled every month I think I could hire someone who would happily fill them for me for much less.

Actually I prefer old system where lamps got damaged over time at least you got some skill improve them back up. Guess I just have to add it to list of annoying features like damage on unlit lanterns in inventory.

How nice, so he took something out of a package (features that came with deeds) and if you want it back you have to pay money for it. What's next? Paying for decay prevention?

I wonder which is worse, this stuff or Horse Armor. :lol:

1 silver each 30 days to fill 100 lamps thats 1 copper to get each lamp filled every month I think I could hire someone who would happily fill them for me for much less.
Nothing stopping you :)

This is good news for me as filling the oil touches was quite tedious, you should make the deed guards be able to fill the torches rather than top up the oil that's already in them!

Sign in to follow this