Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Even More Oil Denerfing

• Olives will weight a bit more and when you press them you’ll get three times as much oil
  • Lamps burn at 1/4th the rate now

View the full article
  • Like 1

This doesn't change anything. You are just making things worse by sticking to a stupid change and trying to appease the freedomers by small adjustments.

1) You are still forcing people (in a supposed sandbox game!) to keep olive trees, harvest olives, spend time to grind a skill, make olive oil, fill a barrel, keep guards (still unsure if thats really true) if they want any lights on their deed.

2) Recent nerfs have reduced deeds to something rather pointless. I can't find a single reason why I would want a deed if I ever decide to come back to Wurm. I was away for 2 weeks and when I logged back in to check all my horses were gone and a few palisades surrounding my deed plus fences behind these were gone. Probably bashed down by a troll. I would need around 3 spirit templars for them to be able to handle a troll before he bashed down my fences.

I hate the sight of olive trees, and refuse to light my lamps with olive oil. There is no way I am refilling hundreds of lamps on my deed every week just because you had a bad sandwich for lunch. So the only reason for owning a deed now is to prevent griefing because thats perfectly within the rules and to prevent decay on structures. I can make those 80ql so they will last a few years before I even need to think about repairing them.

3) Bring back skill decay.

Edited by KaiH
  • Like 2

lol wulfgar.... your sentences could be translated into another sense:

1. olives have far more use now, before it was just good for making compasses(that are handed out in tutorial too now) or for filling lamps ONCE

2. decay of walls is still reduced (except for those bashed in walls), no one can touch your stuff on deed, even if walls are gone. AND big animals are actually dangerous now! except those who wanted fighting skill, who killed trolls? sure...we are forced now to kill them, cause else they would destroy parts of our homesteads...

3. lolz NO why would I ever want to play again if there is nothing constant?

I think this is a good overall change, it might not be what everyone wants but the fact that lamps are pretty much an afterthought now is much better, less oil needed and longer burning times.

Edited by York
  • Like 1

This doesn't change anything. You are just making things worse by sticking to a stupid change and trying to appease the freedumbers by small adjustments.

1) You are still forcing people (in a supposed sandbox game!) to keep olive trees, harvest olives, spend time to grind a skill, make olive oil, fill a barrel, keep guards (still unsure if thats really true) if they want any lights on their deed.

2) Recent nerfs have reduced deeds to something rather pointless. I can't find a single reason why I would want a deed if I ever decide to come back to Wurm. I was away for 2 weeks and when I logged back in to check all my horses were gone and a few palisades surrounding my deed plus fences behind these were gone. Probably bashed down by a troll. I would need around 3 spirit templars for them to be able to handle a troll before he bashed down my fences.

I hate the sight of olive trees, and refuse to light my lamps with olive oil. There is no way I am refilling hundreds of lamps on my deed every week just because you had a bad sandwich for lunch. So the only reason for owning a deed now is to prevent griefing because thats perfectly within the rules and to prevent decay on structures. I can make those 80ql so they will last a few years before I even need to think about repairing them.

3) Bring back skill decay.

Pretty much have to agree with this lol, Tunnels etc that are deeded to get to main markets etc are all unlit, I don't even bother lighting / using lamps on deed or anywhere else for that matter anymore just because of this... Not wasting my time gathering to fill repeatedly when 1 oil lamp I carry can do the whole job.

Lamps were more of a Decoration to see / used for travelling, now their a full on job to keep going, quite useless imo.

There have been numerous bad changes and stuff we keep asking for isn't really noticed... read our suggestions / ask for an opinion before just integrating something that ruins freedom isles.

Ok, so pretty much, one olive harvest will run one lamp for a month. Much better. Olives have a use and I don't see it being cumbersome for people running lamps within reason. If you have 200 lamps...well...yeah. Much better than before, thanks Rolf.

I see this as being reasonable at least, the same with the animal nerfs. 200 animals in a 5x5 area etc, that kind of thing was getting out of control. I think all of this stuff is getting reigned in to be reasonable now.

Perhaps one thing that could be done, however, is make lamps unlimited on 'heritage sites' like canals etc, as denoted by the GM staff. That would be a reward for the amazing works being completed and benefitting the public. Coding wise Rolf could do it as a GM only spell or somesuch that puts a permanent illumination on them, or somesuch.

• Like 2

Should limit the number of lamps you can place on a deed based by deed size.

Perhaps a good compromise would be to add boat lights

• Like 1

Should limit the number of lamps you can place on a deed based by deed size.

why limit the number of lamps you could place on deed? And how would you then handle off deed lamps? You'd need to limit those some way too, else you'd just place the lamps first and deed over them :rolleyes:

Ok, so pretty much, one olive harvest will run one lamp for a month. Much better. Olives have a use and I don't see it being cumbersome for people running lamps within reason. If you have 200 lamps...well...yeah. Much better than before, thanks Rolf.

I see this as being reasonable at least, the same with the animal nerfs. 200 animals in a 5x5 area etc, that kind of thing was getting out of control. I think all of this stuff is getting reigned in to be reasonable now.

Perhaps one thing that could be done, however, is make lamps unlimited on 'heritage sites' like canals etc, as denoted by the GM staff. That would be a reward for the amazing works being completed and benefitting the public. Coding wise Rolf could do it as a GM only spell or somesuch that puts a permanent illumination on them, or somesuch.

This guy speaks a lot of sense in that post. It's reasonable now, i preferred it how it was before but can see the reasoning and think this is a suitable middle ground.

I would like to point in particular to the bit about heritage sites! This would be an excellent solution to the problem of canals and major highways (i mean really major like the main one south of FM) and people still need to light their mines, tunnels, and forest paths. Not to mention saving the GMs time with the GM-run deeds and the tutorial...

• Like 1

I'm glad for this change. Rolf listened to our complaints and is at least recognizing the huge chore that would have been necessary before this to keep what he wanted workable. We have to do a little more to keep our lights lit but it's not nearly as bad as it could have been.

Thanks for being flexible on this Rolf.

Oh come on guys, quit your yapping. Reverting is always a step backwards and reverting a good step is just stupid, you'll never get anywhere that way. It's better to figure out how to go on.

- Deed lighting works pretty well now with the oil barrel and longer timers.

- Olive oil is pretty decent too with the increased yield.

Things that are missing:

- Other options for light fuel, possible are:

- Oracle's tar oil

- Grinding seeds, cereals and nuts into oil with a grindstone.

- Adding a candle box for refilling candelabras

- Methods to maintain off deed lights. possibly:

- Have tower guards use lamps and oil barrels in range of the tower.

- As Garath mentioned: Have forever lights on GM appointed heritage sites.

-Resolve the Tar issue: Rolf doesn't want it used in lamps at all, Players want it to be used automatically, one compromise:

- Tar works only on Iron torches, but those can be filled automatically from a tar box.
Edited by Keldun
  • Like 2

Still have to hire a guard just to fill lamps (i have no other uses for one).

Still would have to clear my schedule just to be able to play on olive season.

Still doesn't fix the lighting bugs.

Seriously screwing up the playability of a game so much, for the sake of having MORE OLIVE USAGE? Its illogical at best.

There's been so many more logical suggestions to have more olive usage, and seriously whats with this sudden fixation with olives? There's a ton of crap in-game that has no freaking use (spoons, plyers) others only have one specific use (camelia, oleander, and all other HC materials) so why the freaks do you have to break the game for the sake of OLIVES? Mediterranean sympathy?

If you still insist on this nonsense, please add the tar refinement process, and make this like building decay on deeds (ie not forcing people to double their deed upkeeps just to get light),

For me you ruined one of the best visual features of wurm. The way wurm can be made to look at night was one of the greatest things about the game for me.

• Like 2

I for one am unable to ensure i am online for Olive season due to various reasons in real life , and i also don't have the time spare ( due to very limited play time now) to go round refilling and lighting lamps when i am online , i would much rather use those 30+ mins doing something more important like continueing working on my deed / sorting the few horses and cattle i do keep for food / leather etc .

Not only that , but i would be foreced to import and plant an olive grove / forest before i could even start thinking about harvesting which would remove my limited time i have available from other things i actually want to spend doing .

As a result my deeds will basically stay dark from now , which is a shame , because i feel it is removing an aesthetic quality from the game that i liked having.

Olive oil could have been made more useful in other ways , such as cooking , preserving wood , softening leather etc etc etc .

Why not implement Oracles idea to cook off tar for oil ( i and i'm sure others , can do that when working at the forge ) and let us use that as an alternative to Olive Oil in the barrel ?

I also find it saddening that something Rolf " fixed " a couple of years back on player request ( ie letting lamps stay always on when on deed ) , has now needed "fixing" thereby putting it back to the old design .

Edited by Kediec
  • Like 1

Rolf has not said one thing about needing a guard for this(unless I missed it somehere which is possible due to info being fragmented to twitter,blog,forums). The only places ive seen it mentioned was other players assuming. So until Rolf actually states it somewhere that a guard is needed then I will assume its the way its always been for deed repair, guards are implied to perform the duty but not needed. That was added when guards were made optional after the new deed system came out. Hehe but making us pay a extra monthly fee for a nerf would be a pretty ballsy move.

As expected there are worries that it will become too much of a chore to keep lamps filled with oil or tar. Now, tar isn’t _really_ supposed to be used in lamps but it will still be possible to use of course since it would be too much of a nerf to remove that. Olive oil finally has the use and value it was supposed to from the very beginning.

I’ve added the possibility to build an “oil barrel†which will hold huge amounts of olive oil. If you keep a barrel on deed the guards will use the oil within to fill your street lamps. Guards can only deal with olive oil though so you can’t fill it with tar.

I also added the possibility to build armour stand and bow rack. The models are lacking for those as well but they will arrive eventually.

I just had to restart the Epic servers for another reason so they received this update and can try it out a bit before the other servers which will be restarted tomorrow.

View the full article

Most people are hoping its not required to have an actual guard. But with Rolf's "fixes" we must always assume the worst. Also i wouldn't be surprised if this was all a big money grab, since forcing players to hire a guard would mean that many deeds would have to double their upkeep.

Edited by ReaverKane

Yes he has always reffered to "The Guards" in such a manner as if a actual guard is needed but they were not required. Just as in the past he has said "The Guards" will perform maintenance and prevent decay on walls and fences. Just as the wiki says maintenance of signs, lamps, banners and flags by spirit guards. The term is used basically as RP/

made things more maintainable for sure with this one....Main point is still being missed....Olives are a limited and destroyable resource..available only a couple days out of an entire month! .Seems several groups have already made it a mission to destroy every olive tree not deeded on Celebration.....

Of course one could assume they picked sprouts as they destroyed the entire forests.....insuring their own ability to corner a majority of the market.....

The few protected trees around TD aren't gonna fuel the masses....

Edited by kazkid

And to complicate even a little more, what is meant at all with the term "guards": tower guards or spirit templars?

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, June 26, 2012 - trolling
Hidden by KaiH, June 26, 2012 - trolling

Still would have to clear my schedule just to be able to play on olive season.

Still doesn't fix the lighting bugs.

Seriously screwing up the playability of a game so much, for the sake of having MORE OLIVE USAGE? Its illogical at best.

There's been so many more logical suggestions to have more olive usage, and seriously whats with this sudden fixation with olives? There's a ton of crap in-game that has no freaking use (spoons, plyers) others only have one specific use (camelia, oleander, and all other HC materials) so why the freaks do you have to break the game for the sake of OLIVES? Mediterranean sympathy?

If you still insist on this nonsense, please add the tar refinement process, and make this like building decay on deeds (ie not forcing people to double their deed upkeeps just to get light),

For me you ruined one of the best visual features of wurm. The way wurm can be made to look at night was one of the greatest things about the game for me.

overreacting-overreacting-crying-whine-demotivational-poster-1258504917.jpg

made things more maintainable for sure with this one....Main point is still being missed....Olives are a limited and destroyable resource..available only a couple days out of an entire month! .Seems several groups have already made it a mission to destroy every olive tree not deeded on Celebration.....

Of course one could assume they picked sprouts as they destroyed the entire forests.....insuring their own ability to corner a majority of the market.....

The few protected trees around TD aren't gonna fuel the masses....

people were always stupid or greedy O.o

No t reading all this again but If have to ask;

what exactly is the point in tweaking oil so it replaces tar? I mean, we used tar just fine, now it's being substituted. Is there any point to that?

It really does feel like you're just doing something to pass the time.

Making oil more useful: yes that's generally a good thing. It doesn't address the complaint though.

I was under the impression that it didnt replace tar?

The overall idea of the fix is for olive oil to be used as the exclusive fuel for lamps. In fact if you read Rof's post that was what he was prepared to "enforce"- But he changed it so that you can only use olive oil as the "automatic" fuel.

Sign in to follow this