Sign in to follow this  
Budda

Configuring The Client: Looking Nice, While Running On Low Settings

I've seen a lot of configs and screenshots floating around from people that either run multiple clients all the time, or from people that have less than ideal hardware, so here's a post to hopefully fix up some configs so you're not looking at ugly things all the time in-game.

NOTE: This guide is intended for low settings configs, for slower or older computers. Important settings for maximum effect in bold.

When you load up the game, the launcher will come up.

Click on the "Settings" button on the right-hand side.

1. Game

Display mode
: Personal preference. You might get some smoother framerates from playing in fullscreen mode.
Change to Windowed with a lower resolution if you're running too slow.

Resolution
: If you can handle the highest resolution your computer can display, use that. If you're playing in windowed mode, you can make it smaller (makes the window smaller) without having everything get all stretchy.

Refresh Rate
: Monitor dependant.

Everything else: Personal preference

2. Text

Everything
: Personal preference

3. Sound

Everything
: Personal preference.
(Turning sound off may help performance when running multiple clients)

4. Graphics

Terrain resolution
: High
. High in terms of terrain generally means about 512x512 textures. Most graphics cards can handle this, if your graphics card physically cannot, then turn this option down. There are only a few terrain textures needed to load, so it is worth the memory to have this all at high resolution.

Water detail
: Medium or Low looks fine. Set to low for fastest option.

Water reflections
: The reflection calculations can take up a lot, so turn this off.

Tile decorations
: Medium. The tile decorations are generally slow, but they have been improved recently.
Lower this if you're running too slow

TreePosition render distance
: Personal preference. I'd suggest turning it to medium for a faster config while maintaining some distant trees.

StructureData render distance
: As above.

Item/creature render distance
: As above. Matters more if you're in an area with a lot of littered items around (e.g. spawn areas).

Animation quality
: Turn to low or medium for fastness.

Sky detail

Cave detail

Shadows
: None

Render cloud shadows
: No

Render distant terrain
: Yes (turn this off if you're on a _really_ bad computer).

Render tile transitions
: Personal preference. May give slight performance boost, probably not noticeable.

Render bloom ("glow")

Render sun glare

GUI Skin

5. Advanced Graphics

Maximum texture size (normal textures)
: 512 (Set to 256 if you're having memory problems - not if you have performance problems).

Maximum texture size (megatextures)
:
Does not matter
- this is only used in the splash screen on start-up:

Reflection Quality
: Does not matter, reflections are turned off.

Terrain/shadow resolution
: Medium

Texture scaling hint
: Nearest Neighbour

Bumpmapped Terrain

Pretty trees
: Yes
(Turning this off has little performance effect for the huge change in graphics)

Phobia Mode

Pretty weather

Compressed textures
(Turning this on tends to make things very ugly)

Everything else

6. Compatibility

Everything
: Don't touch unless needed to due to your hardware etc (outlined in other threads).

Using the above settings, your game should look something like this:

screenshot.PNG

If you have any questions, or suggestions for improvements for this config, please post and let me know.

• Like 14

I find also that turning off kingdom chat (/kchat) seems to help quite a lot -- this may not be an acceptable option for everyone as many enjoy the social interaction a lot, but if you are a hermit anyway and don't follow kchat much, see if this helps. I have no idea why this seems to help but for me it seems rather pronounced difference -- especially if you are running multiple clients.

Anyway -- thanks Budda!! I switched to all your recommendations and the game looks great and runs great :)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

i run it in an old computer and i will try this right now thanks

Turning off sound (especially if you're running multiple clients) helps a huge amount in performance for me personally. I run 3 clients at once pretty much all the time, 1 client I keep on max settings and the other two clients I keep on settings similar to those you've posted above.

I'll have to try these settings soon... I already have about 6 different configs, there are lots of settings to fiddle with x)

I find also that turning off kingdom chat (/kchat) seems to help quite a lot

Couldn't tell much difference from my current settings.

It did seem to have a bit longer time loading the game when I changed to your recommended settings.

Think I'll fiddle around with it more after I get some sleep.

Cruddy old computer always running under 15fps in town and just a little under 25fps outside town.

Nice addition, especially making it more accessable. Before when searching for recomendations, one had to dig through wiki only to find suggestions for out-dated settings :P

Its nice to see the results of days spent tinkering and comparing ended up being similar to the OP. I was worried I had missed something when I created various config saves.

6. Compatibility

Everything
: Don't touch unless needed to due to your hardware etc (outlined in other threads).

Can you point to those threads?

I'm using this setup now - it's fantastic!

In a nutshell, this should be the default client setting. It runs so very nicely on my machine and the game still looks pretty. I can get away with having animations on extreme (makes animal movement much nicer) and still have 25ish fps. And run iTunes, Firefox and Wplanner on my second screen. x)

• Like 3

I'm using this setup now - it's fantastic!

In a nutshell, this should be the default client setting.

Edited by syncaidius

This, definitly. Personally, I run on max settings with no problems at all but, it would help with those who are trying to find a good configuration that will run smoothly on their own systems.

Not as pretty as having everything on extreme but about 30-40% more FPS. Windowed here.

Hmm with my specs should I go higher or lower than the settings in the OP? The last time I actually messed with the settings I went with lower settings. But that was on a much lower spec. PC. I tried wurm about a month ago but my ATI video card was ****. So I switched to Nvidia and another PC and now I would like to know about what settings would work best.

CPU : AMD Phenom 9150e - Quad Core 1.8 ghz (I know... need to upgrade)

Ram : 4GB (upgrading to 8)

Video: Nvidia Geforce GT 520 (wont upgrade on this PC)

Video Ram: 2GB

Edit: I just logged on with default settings. I get 60fps out of town and about 35fps in Freedom Market.

Edited by PapaJax

This card can run full settings, even with 1080p

My friend has a good computer, but his internet isn't much better than dial-up. Can anyone tell me what settings he should turn down to make Wurm run better? Essentially I think the only settings he needs to drop are the ones that stream between the client and server, and not ones that his computer renders, like animations and objects, but I could be wrong. Can anyone shed any light on this?

If Budda's guide (that I greatly appreciate) is already what needs changed, we will surely try that. I just assume that the guide is made for pc performance issues, and not internet-specific issues.

I appreciate any help!

THis is a great guide, I was very close to this config already but some of the tips helped. But there are some advanced graphics options that aren't mentioned here. I would like to to know if anyone has tested the visual impact vs. performance cost of aniso filtering, AA, and model loading settings. Any info?

I can recomend these settings to everyone, even if you have a speedy PC. I've run by these settings for a few months now, since I had problems running multi client. Now it runs smoothly and I can run multiple clients without problems. AND it looks nice. So very much for this guide Buddy! ^_^

Hiya,

If you have any questions, or suggestions for improvements for this config, please post and let me know.

Since you asked for, here I am ;-))

At first, thx a lot for this, very helpful!

Second, wouldn't it be possible to incorporate these hints into the mouse-over tooltips in the settings section?

Third, especially the "compatibility" section should really have some more information - when playing for some time, you'll be told to change "this" one time, and "that" the next time - and in the end a lot is changed, may cause new problems, and resetting it (by deleting the setting) will usually kill the nice configuration you have fine-tuned in months. :/

Now my question:

I've spent some time to get "the perfect setting", even on my not-so-fancy PC's. And while doing this I've encountered a strange problem:

While I'm all nice and funny with my setting on the Golden Valley server, with 60fps nearly constantly (capped), on Independence the same setting can be close to unplayable. Rarely 60FPS, most time ~25, and quite often down to 5. Running down the road gives me a "lag spike" every 5 - 8 tiles, same turning the view abruptly.

What's that is causing this? I used a similar area to test on both GV and Inde:

- no players in local

- roughly same amount of animals

- roughly same amount and kind of trees

- roughly same amount and kind of fields

Only difference I found is that on Inde the houses are bigger, and made of stone.

Does this really makes such a difference, or is it something other? Any hints?

Thank you for your work, have fun!

One thing that has worked for me and other amazingly well is to try and Enable (or disable, whichever is not default) Pbuffer Support in the compatibily settings. This has doubled my framrate per second!

I just made a video tutorial about this:
/>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7WsfxpolzQ

I think I found a good balance between performance and quality. Feedback is always appreciated though :)

At the end of the video there are screenshots of the settings, in case anyone wants to copy them.

• Like 1

AMAZING. 

Please Pin this topic to the top. 

And could some one maybe put this in the wiki somewhere?? :lol:

Is there a post anywhere that has suggested minimum specs?  Searched and can't find anything, live in a college town and I'm about to go laptop hunting.

Avoid intel gfx card is best you can do.

Is there a post anywhere that has suggested minimum specs? Searched and can't find anything, live in a college town and I'm about to go laptop hunting.

As far as laptops go you'll be hard pressed to find something that will not run wurm, it runs ok enough on my 6 year old hp laptop with an i3 processor. I would suggest an i3 or i5, and if it has skylake integrated gpu it should handle wurm just fine.