Sign in to follow this  
kazkid

Flashback To August 2009

Q: Any chance of getting bridges by Xmas?

A: Rolf: There is a chance, we'll see how big around November.

Q: Will we see multi-story houses , and rooms within houses soon?

A: MrBloodworth: I think you can refer to the bridges comment for that answer. They are related.

A: Rolf: Yes I think so too. There's a chance.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/14809-dev-chat-log-august-25th/

Then forward to the great ford implementation by Zcul entitled Unstick my cart Please let me Go on 19 march this year (Thread lost from blog during hacking problem) where Rolf stated he could finally "dedicate full time to the implementation of multi-story housing"

Yet again all we see is updates to PVP , Nerfs (lamps, Breeding, Chanted grass and more), and consequential changes to existing things which have no relevance whatever to the addition of bridges nor multistory housing......

Ongoing since 2009.....3 years.......

Soon? I need to know what the definition of soon is in Rolf's native language apparently....3 years is definately not the english definition of soon.....

• Like 2

Rolf will continue to make rage enducing nerfs so you forget that he will never finish multi story housing and bridges.

• Like 1

Many of the community share this same opinion :( A simple road map of where Rolf is going and not lying (telling the community only what they want to hear) about development would be big steps in the right direction!

So what's the purpose of this thread other than to try and drum up more complaints and dissention?

Off hand I'd say to try and pressure Rolf to at least shoot straight with the community. Other then that? Give vent to the frustration in the community over the flawed design process of a game out of "beta".

• Like 1

Off hand I'd say to try and pressure Rolf to at least shoot straight with the community. Other then that? Give vent to the frustration in the community over the flawed design process of a game out of "beta".

Well as long as it doesn't continue with mud slinging and name calling of the Developer I don't have a problem.

So what's the purpose of this thread other than to try and drum up more complaints and dissention?

This. While i feel the same way the OP does this thread wasnt needed and if you want to confront rolf about this then do so in the IRC where he will most likely respond

I tried that once, I was told "if you play too much the server will lock you out and and you can't do anything about it, nor will the devs help you". Ironically Rolf still wanted me to pay for the time I couldn't use.Nuf said....

Edited by Pingpong

This was Wurm in 2008

guide_03.jpg

I think that says enough... There was something which was more important than multistory houses or bridges. And as long as the game doesn't stand still. Who cares?

Edited by Sklo:D

really? where did I call anyone a name....I only asked for some accountability and what the heck these changes have to do with what the community has been 'promised' for more than two years now....

or maybe an explanation of 'WHY' changes to 'street lights'. Wild, Enchanted grass, Taming and Dominating, ECT are more important than promises made 2 years ago...

This was Wurm in 2008

guide_03.jpg

I think that says enough... There was something which was more important than multistory houses or bridges. And as long as the game doesn't stand still. Who cares?

I kinda like old school graphics myself! :D

I kinda like old school graphics myself! :D

That is what i was thinking it does not look bad at all..i really like the grass maybe even more then the spring we have now.

Edited by Kegan

Something tells me this complaining is restricted to Freedom players and is more about vanity or convenience that anything else. The updates to the game recently are remarkable, and I think it's silly that anyone could be clinging to any particular game feature when there is so much more to do to make Wurm as good as it can be.

Heh, you actually complain about it taking 3 years?

What about those that started playing end 2004 and stuck around for several years?

Multi - story houses and climbable towers / walls etc was talked about (and more or less as I recall promised) to be something not far away at that time...

Sorry to point this out, but at this pace I just don't see it happen untill 2020.

Edited by Malvado

Heh, you actually complain about it taking 3 years?

What about those that started playing end 2004 and stuck around for several years?

Multi - story houses and climbable towers / walls etc was talked about (and more or less as I recall promised) to be something not far away at that time...

Sorry to point this out, but at this pace I just don't see it happen untill 2020.

was before my time...WOW even longer than I knew heh...Interesting...one must wonder after that if it is EVER really planned or is the proverbial "carrot on a stick"

was before my time...WOW even longer than I knew heh...Interesting...one must wonder after that if it is EVER really planned or is the proverbial "carrot on a stick"

LOL if you base why you play a game on what might be coming someday you are going to be disappointed many many times.

LOL if you base why you play a game on what might be coming someday you are going to be disappointed many many times.

There are developers that actually deliver the things they promise. Independent developers need financial support and usually have the guts to do things the big money people with their cookie cutter games don't. It isn't unreasonable that someone would want to support the development of a game concept that they find to their liking.

Where to start with this.

1. The changes to lamps, breeding and enchanted grass each probably took about 30 mins to complete. Whereas multi story houses are going to take several weeks to add a new layer above the current layer, and get it right so that people can come and go without getting stuck, losing objects, and dieing, all of which are issues with moving between areas in the current layer. I would rather them take the time to get it right, rather than rush something in that ends up costing players lost time and money, and gets even more complaints.

2. Since when does "there is a chance" mean the same as "promise". It sounds to me like he is trying to do the complete opposite of promise. As well as the fact that if you read the 3rd post down on the link you posted you are told bluntly it is NOT going to happen.

3. If you look at the logs that are posted in that link and know whats happening with Wurm you would notice that half of the developers that were speaking in those logs are no longer on the Wurm team. The playerbase wasn't near big enough at that time to hire full-time hardcore developers which is what is needed for this project, so he was using volunteers who have sinced moved on. Since then he has established a real team which has looked at the goals and put them in realistic order. Multi story buildings are not realistic at this time.

I think he really want multi-storey and bridges in the game but it is really hard to code and instead he's taking every chance to do something else because he's stuck and unable to finish the multi-storey thing.

• Like 1

dont forget that wurm is a 2D world in fact and there were(maybe still are) bugs with caves, where your cart gets stuck in the entrance or you loose your stuff inside when going outside or your game disconnects when entering a cave...and so on...

bridges and multistory buildings are only possible in this game with a similar mechanic to caves BUT people would want borders and that everything is visible from the outside....honestly this is no easy work...and if i understand it correctly: rolf is a self learned programmer AND java is a ###### stupid language in my opinion (already worked with it) and even more difficult if you make a 3d like game with it...

Also dont forget he has family and he needs money (dont think he is rich by now) so he has to do some other stuff while working on the "big project" everyone should know, that if you are working on something larger and maybe really frustrating, you need breaks or need to do other stuff inbetween to not loose it completely.

Game developers are game developers because they LIKE to do what they do and players plays cause they wanna have fun....how funny would it be, when bugs are completely ignored(even if i know there are some bugs since years) and there would be no changes at all cause he is working on the big project the whole time? We would think that the game is lost....that he isnt doing anything....

sooooo....what do you prefer? honestly? A rolf who still haves fun continuing this game and makes some small changes inbetween? or would you want him to dissappear until he finished those "big projects"?

and btw...dont forget that at the beginning, rolf wasnt the main coder and I can remember how hard it was (atleast what he told us) to go through a completely strange code from someone else...>.> a totally buggy and unsorted one...without comments and all lolz! I think we underestimate what rolf is doing ALOT!

• Like 1

i want more old screen shots, I wasn't playing back then.