Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

The Lights Are Going Out!

In light of (or lack thereof) Rolf's recent changes to street lamps running out of fuel as indicated in the linked posts below, I thought it would be best to draw this situation to the playerbases attention by making this post about it in the more visable Town Square section of the forums where deed holders and other players would be more likely to make note of and comment on the situation.

http://forum.wurmonl...bugfixes-today/

There’s nothing very radical in todays update except that Olive oil will become more useful because the bug where street lamps never used it up was fixed. The fix is according to how it was once supposed to be - that a full lamp is lit for something like 3-5 days. I suspect that it will be considered too much of a nerf now that everyone’s used to forever lamps. We’ll have to tone it down then I guess.

There are also other small changes like typo fixes but nothing as notable as this.

http://forum.wurmonl...ening-the-nerf/

As expected there are worries that it will become too much of a chore to keep lamps filled with oil or tar. Now, tar isn’t _really_ supposed to be used in lamps but it will still be possible to use of course since it would be too much of a nerf to remove that. Olive oil finally has the use and value it was supposed to from the very beginning.

I’ve added the possibility to build an “oil barrel†which will hold huge amounts of olive oil. If you keep a barrel on deed the guards will use the oil within to fill your street lamps. Guards can only deal with olive oil though so you can’t fill it with tar.

I also added the possibility to build armour stand and bow rack. The models are lacking for those as well but they will arrive eventually.

I just had to restart the Epic servers for another reason so they received this update and can try it out a bit before the other servers which will be restarted tomorrow.

Obviously I find this to be a bad idea as indicated by my responses in those threads.

=Ayes=

In light of (or lack thereof) Rolf's recent changes to street lamps running out of fuel as indicated in the linked posts below, I thought it would be best to draw this situation to the playerbases attention by making this post about it in the more visable Town Square section of the forums where deed holders and other players would be more likely to make note of and comment on the situation.

http://forum.wurmonl...bugfixes-today/

There’s nothing very radical in todays update except that Olive oil will become more useful because the bug where street lamps never used it up was fixed. The fix is according to how it was once supposed to be - that a full lamp is lit for something like 3-5 days. I suspect that it will be considered too much of a nerf now that everyone’s used to forever lamps. We’ll have to tone it down then I guess.

There are also other small changes like typo fixes but nothing as notable as this.

http://forum.wurmonl...ening-the-nerf/

As expected there are worries that it will become too much of a chore to keep lamps filled with oil or tar. Now, tar isn’t _really_ supposed to be used in lamps but it will still be possible to use of course since it would be too much of a nerf to remove that. Olive oil finally has the use and value it was supposed to from the very beginning.

I’ve added the possibility to build an “oil barrel†which will hold huge amounts of olive oil. If you keep a barrel on deed the guards will use the oil within to fill your street lamps. Guards can only deal with olive oil though so you can’t fill it with tar.

I also added the possibility to build armour stand and bow rack. The models are lacking for those as well but they will arrive eventually.

I just had to restart the Epic servers for another reason so they received this update and can try it out a bit before the other servers which will be restarted tomorrow.

Obviously I find this to be a bad idea as indicated by my responses in those threads.

=Ayes=

I'm all for making things more useful but if your going to make it to were my lamps can only be filled by my guards with olive oil at least make it to were I can get more than i olive per tree.Foresty skill should come into play on how many olives I get per tree just like farming skill does with crops.

Good update. Now put pvp back on chaos.

Sigh. Another good way to make every deed pay 1s, way to go FFS

Friend: * Hey mate how are ya*

Me: * i just spend 3 hours filling 500 lamps spread over my 4 deeds*

Friend: * NICE!... SO MUCH FUN!

Edited by whykillme

I considered the forever-lit street lamps to be more as an additional feature/benefit of having a deed rather than a bug.

Edited by RomaN
  • Like 3

I don't mind that lamps must be filled with olive oil. In fact, I love the oil barrel concept. There will be a great market for olive oil now. I offer these suggestions though.

* Go ahead and make the change where tar no longer fills lamps and lamps require olive oil.

* I hope that mayors will be able to fill lamps with the oil without having to hire guards to do it.

* Filled lamps should last longer than just a few RL days. I would say a week.

Filled lamps should last longer than 3-5 RL days. At least a week. Preferably a month.

Maybe we can add animal fat to the olive oil in some way to make the olive oil have more bulk to it? Like add olive oil and animal fat into a cauldron and boil it into "lamp oil"?

• Like 2

Simple...Make harvesting trees use forestry or gardening and give more for the Skill level 10 for 1, 30 for 2, etc...the same would go for grapes, cherries, etc.....I think this would be better than reverting anything and actually help other things like wine making. :D

• Like 1

I don't mind that lamps must be filled with olive oil. In fact, I love the oil barrel concept. There will be a great market for olive oil now. I offer these suggestions though.

* Go ahead and make the change where tar no longer fills lamps and lamps require olive oil.

* I hope that mayors will be able to fill lamps with the oil without having to hire guards to do it.

* Filled lamps should last longer than just a few RL days. I would say a week.

Market? Is that all freedomers care about? I prefer quality of life over a stinkin' market. Oh yayz I can make a couple copper on oil now totally worth the change, remove tar so I even sell more! *happydance*

gg rolf.

Great so go "fix" something that didn't need fixing in the first place instead of fixing real gameplay issues.

Check out today's WurmOnline review by PCAdvisor

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/game/3365163/wurm-online-review/

To quote:-

"Interesting as the gameplay is, the game isn't much of a looker. Wurm Online's animation of action is as minimal as its avatar detail, and I had many issues with disconnections. The use of photographic textures on low-polygon objects creates an odd air of unreality and shows that the budget has really gone to developing mechanical systems, not visual ones"

No, the time has gone in to fixing bugs that don't need fixing, and that just annoys the player base.

Rant over

• Like 1

Great so go "fix" something that didn't need fixing in the first place instead of fixing real gameplay issues.

http://www.pcadvisor...-online-review/

"Interesting as the gameplay is, the game isn't much of a looker. Wurm Online's animation of action is as minimal as its avatar detail, and I had many issues with disconnections. The use of photographic textures on low-polygon objects creates an odd air of unreality and shows that the budget has really gone to developing mechanical systems, not visual ones"

No, the time has gone in to fixing bugs that don't need fixing, and that just annoys the player base.

Rant over

Not true, the time has been used to work on many things including fixing bugs no matter how small they are. Pretty much pick and choose and QQ without telling the truth about the whole picture of what is going on behind the scenes huh?. there is much going on and has been major improvements, the thing is this player base QQ's more than any other I have ever seen when changes are not what some of them want. Sure all happy and glory when its a good change or improvement ( maybe alittle praise ) but all fire and brimstone over a lamps bug??? give me a break.

Edited by Uberknot

So, if I am intrepreting this correctly, for street lamps to be able to be refilled automatically on deeds, the deed must have a Spirit Templar (guard) or this oil barrel auto-filling system will not work. I have no Spirit Templars (guards) on my deeds and I certainly will not be paying 1 silver per month for a guard for each of my deeds to be auto-filling my deed street lamps. Beyond that, I am not going to be harvesting and producing olive oil to fuel on deed, or even off deed street lamps anyway. Too much work, not worth the effort just for the cosmetic effect of having lit street lamps on deed.

The Wurm world will be a darker and dreary place with all the perimiter and off deed street lamps running out of fuel and returning those areas to darkness. Heck who cares? No real need to waste time and in game coins anymore placing lamps in off deed mines to light them up for others use. Why be concerned about them, let the mines be bleak and forbodeing. Everyone enjoys having the aggro mobs spring out at them from the dark. If they die is not my loss as I always go in there perpaired and am familiar with the mines in my area, with their uneven destroyed floors by exciting tunneling mobs. Yes, those damaging mobs have been reverted back to their previous inability to destroy mine floors (that some here had seen as a perfectly fine ability for them to have) but the mine floor damage remains to this day.

As for me, if this change goes into effect, I will be removing all my off deed public street lamp lighting at various locations in the area, next to roads, houses, guard towers and in mines, simply because it will be pointless to have them decaying away there unlit serving no useful purpose when they run out of fuel at this proposed advanced rate. This is just a common sense result of this proposed change that can be realized with little forethought. Not too hard to figure this out.

I will just store them on deed somewhere. Who knows, maybe someone in the future with no memory of their past functioning system will be interested in buying them. Maybe someone will start a new deed nearby and hire a Spirit Templar for 1 silver a month and see these street lamps as useful to them. The ones planted on my deeds, I will just let remain there unlit as faint reminders of their better days. Hey, maybe if they are unlit on deed Rolf should then make them subject to decay! This might then encourage people to then hire more Spirit Templars, more coins for him. Not a bad idea huh? Oh well then I guess I would have to just pick them all up on deed too and try to sell those as well. Hey, maybe I could buy a large magical chest for 50 silver to store them in to prevent their decay. So many choices!

The end is not near. I will still continue playing Wurm, although some posters may be sorry to hear, but it is quite obvious that Wurm will not be as an attractive place in the darkness of night as it has been if this needless change goes into effect. Gee, it might be best to institute changes that enhance the game, making it more enjoyable and less time consuming to play, than those such as this which will have the opposite effect. Only The Shadow knows.....

=Ayes=

• Like 3

Thanks for another stupid grindy chore that I could be doing without, Rolf.

• Like 1

Sure all happy and glory when its a good change or improvement ( maybe alittle praise ) but all fire and brimstone over a lamps bug??? give me a break.

66 lamps on my Chaos deed, if they last 5 days, I need them refilled 6 times a month on average. With one olive producing enough oil to fill one lamp, that's almost 400 olives I need to harvest and press per month. I'm not going to fuel some "market" wasting money on buying 400 olives a month, so my lamps will just run dry since tar apparently isn't suitable or something? What's to be happy about?

Edited by MrGARY
  • Like 7

Not true, the time has been used to work on many things including fixing bugs no matter how small they are. Pretty much pick and choose and QQ without telling the truth about the whole picture of what is going on behind the scenes huh?. there is much going on and has been major improvements, the thing is this player base QQ's more than any other I have ever seen when changes are not what some of them want. Sure all happy and glory when its a good change or improvement ( maybe alittle praise ) but all fire and brimstone over a lamps bug??? give me a break.

Give YOU a break, really?

I've been playing Wurm for several years and the ability to have lit streetlamps when on deed was something I considered an excellent feature, so I have been merrily placing them across 4 deeds, and now, without warning, I have to change everything with zero notice. So what was working perfectly now has to be overhauled seemingly on a whim.

Just because it's not a pain for you, doesn't mean that is the same for everyone.

66 lamps on my Chaos deed, if they last 5 days, I need them refilled 6 times a month on average. With one olive producing enough oil to fill one lamp, that's almost 400 olives I need to harvest and press per month. I'm not going to fuel some "market" wasting money on buying 400 olives a month, so my lamps will just run dry since tar apparently isn't suitable or something? What's to be happy about?

THIS, 100% THIS

I've left my remarks on the other threads too, but it is worth repeating. Forever lamps ondeed was NOT A BUG! It was a feature requested by the players a couple of years ago, and Rolf seems to have forgotten this. We knew back then that it would be a lot of work to keep enough tar or oil around to keep refilling the lamps, and Rolf agreed. Seems he has forgotten this.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 4

As someone above said, this was seen as a benefit to PAYING for a deed and was a feature, not a bug. Why make a change that serves ZERO purpose other than inconveniencing your paying customers massively. Free players won't be affected at this, only those who dish out to pay for deeds. It just seems like Rolf actually wants to shoot himself in the foot, or wallet.

Oh well, i guess we can all stumble around in the darkness while we wait for some worthwhile changes or bug-fixes to be implemented. Maybe that animation stuff that was raved about during the release of Epic...? Something we actually would like or benefit from... please? :mellow:

http://www.pcadvisor...-online-review/

Rant over

While i agree that there are lots of serious bugs that needs fixing your post was dumb. First off the animations, characters, textures etc are the art team's job which they work on rolf has nothing to do with that. Second the guy having disconnections well its his problem as i never had or have anything like that and nobody i know does.

I'll just repeat my stuff as well then since we have 2 threads now.

I'd prefer it the way it was, olive trees are by far the most hideous trees ingame, I don't want to make a farm of em.

Also you can't get those olives just any time, and my fellow citizen just told me that olive season is still quite far away..

And our deed has about 25 lamps right now ... outside and inside the mine, I really don't feel like spending time on refilling those every 3-5 days or so.

Fun is more important then realism, it's still a game.

Well thanks for that atazs, that's really helpful of you, not

On the same day that Rolf makes these crazy changes, I found the PCAdvisor report quoting the connection and graphics issues - outside of the bubble you exist in, people are having connection issues, and when someone from a major magazine reports it in their main review, it is an issue, whether you or people you know are seeing it or not is not relevant.

To me, it is utter madness to make these changes when so many other things need doing, and it seems that I am not the only one.

Edited by Pryath
  • Like 1

if memory serves the everlasting lamps ON deed was a feature fought long and hard for a few years ago.....Took forever to get it implemented and gone in a flash of failed memory...>Early onset of alzheimers disease maybe?

one lamp takes 2 olives to fill....so 10 lamps on a very small deed would require 20 every 3-5 days...going mid ground with 4 days would mean 7.5 refils in a standard 30 day month...thus using 150 olives a month...are there even that many olive trees on all of Celebrity?

I am not seeing anywhere that says tower guards will not do the lamp filling. Did I miss this? Is it true that only Spirit Templars will do the filling?