Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Circumvening The Nerf

I posted this in the other thread but i think it is a good solution so i am going to post it here too...

Maybe we can add animal fat to the olive oil in some way to make the olive oil have more bulk to it? Like add olive oil and animal fat into a cauldron and boil it into "lamp oil"?

• Like 4

I like that idea Kegan :) Its like making meals and gives some use to animal fat

weren't we all told (again) when fords went live that Rolf could 'now devote full time to multi story buildings at last'

how the heck does the changes to Wild, and little crud like this equate to .devoting full time. to multi story buildings....which have been promised for how many years now?

I know I stated i would quite playing when it became 'work' instead of 'fun' changes like these only add to the 'work' factor.....

120 trees for only 10 lamps...heh...my mines have more than 100 in some of them...WTH!

Only reason for deeds remaining now is the lack of fence and building repair....take that and every froob will be equal to a deed owner......

Edited by kazkid

the tree/lamp ratio is totally broken for this to work well as some have pointed out. Overall the seasons for things like olives also tend to be short so if you can't get on for a week and that's when the season happens then you are out of luck till the next one, which can take over 3 RL weeks depending on which of the two olive seasons it was.. If olives are going to be this important then at least make them more accessible.

One way that could for example be done is by just making it so that you can always harvest from olive trees no matter what the season, but that there's a cooldown on each tree after you harvest from it. Another way would be to just extend the length of the season. Right now there's 2 olive seasons, for example make that into one season that starts when the first one does and ends when the second one does.

Of course increasing the amount of olives harvested also helps in most cases, but it doesn't when you can't login during the season due to RL. The seasons are just way to short for casual players who also have a life besides Wurm so please do something to make olives more accessible.

Oracle's idea is also great, but without changes to Olives the olives would just remain mostly useless again due to the massive effort required for those.

Right now this change just got thrown on, the first olive season is 19 days away so anybody without olive oil is screwed in 5 days when the fuel runs out and we're going to need hundreds of trees just to keep one deed lit and we've only got small windows to get the olive oil. Seriously?!

Edited by Ecrir

One way that could for example be done is by just making it so that you can always harvest from olive trees no matter what the season, but that there's a cooldown on each tree after you harvest from it.

^ This.

Or like Oracle and Kegan suggested, let us 'cook' tar and animal fat to make oil.

^ This.

Or like Oracle and Kegan suggested, let us 'cook' tar and animal fat to make oil.

I on't mind some method off adding to oil using oil at all. But I cannot go for harvesting all the time

( maybe extending the season ).

I would rather see harvest output of all trees bumped up with Gardening/Forestry skill.

Edited by Uberknot

Ok, first of all, the forever lamps were NOT a bug, it was a feature requested by the players a couple of years ago, and Rolf took a long time before he finally relented and gave us the forever lamp ondeed. Rolf has apparently forgotten this and needs to be reminded. All he has done is make a lot of villages go dark (I know mine will), and force more drudge work on those that still want to have light at night. No need to be more realistic, there are lots of unrealistic features in Wurm and we all accept those.

I don't really see the need to "fix" this non-issue anyway, as we all know there are much bigger bugs he could be taking on. I am guessing that he may not know what to do about the other bugs, and hopes this will keep us distracted from the bigger issues.

And as to Oracle's idea of a tar processor, that is called refining, and it is done in a refinery, basically a huge distillery. For all you realistic ones, oil and tar refining was invented in the 19th century, which places it as too advanced a technology for Wurm.

• Like 1

I dont really follow this change due to the words used. By street lamps do you mean street lamps or lamps in general?

If so...Well done! I love the idea of going around filling all my lamps every few days! /sarcasm

The effects of this change are completely ruining the lamp market, at least in bulk, and completely destroy nicely lit up deeds because 70% of them will be left in the dark, including Spawns and Server deeds, as example Freedom Market, because who is going to fuel them?

Also this fix is named a "Bug fix"? Yet it has been stated within ownership of a deed that they'll auto-fill the lamps so how is it a bug if its obviously been intended.

Wurm is becoming more and more of a chore no matter what people say, some of the changes are good, but equally some are bad and I honestly dislike it.

PS: I wonder what new players first impression will be when most of the world is in complete darkness at night

Edited by headhunter

I can list about 10 bugs right now out of my mind that are here for years now and should be fixed instead of this, and there is plenty more on the forums. But nope nerfing lamps was more important than those.

Edited by atazs

I'd prefer it the way it was, olive trees are by far the most hideous trees ingame, I don't want to make a farm of em.

Also you can't get those olives just any time, and my fellow citizen just told me that olive season is still quite far away..

And our deed has about 25 lamps right now ... outside and inside the mine, I really don't feel like spending time on refilling those every 3-5 days or so.

Fun is more important then realism, it's still a game.

• Like 1

I would rather see harvest output of all trees bumped up with Gardening/Forestry skill.

Yes please! Would make forestry so much more usefull!

• Like 1

Process raw tar.

Raw tar needs processing in a " Tar Processing unit " ( new ) to be of any use. Tar processing unit ( similar to a forge but smaller and without a chimney, needs a couldron in construction ) is fueled by burning 20kg wood for cooking the raw tar into the following products

From each 1kg of tar processed you get .50 tar pitch ( for ship building ), .25 carbon black oxide ( ingrediant for making ink and black paint/dye ), and .25 tar oil ( for using as lamp oil and general oil paint base. This tar oil will replace water, and water based colors will only be used as a dye for wood, leather and cloth items ).

Also, mixing any dye on a 1 for 1 basis with clay makes a glaze that can be applied to clay items and fired resulting in a colored pottery item.

Awesome ideas now just get someone on the other end of the line to agree and use them =)

Hi,

I wonder if Wurm still has too many players?

This change might help.

No fun.

PS & Edit: The Kinoss Bay Canal crew will be very happy to refill the many, many lamps every other day, you bet. Prepare to travel in darkness - at least we'll try our best to keep the Canal mob free, as before.

Edited by Xandra

On deed lamps should last longer then off deed lamps, I think deed owners deserve a little more reward for buying a deed. 3-5 (6-10 times a month) days does seem short as many of us I don't think logon everyday or every other day. Having lamps run out of fuel is a good idea, having lamps stay lit forever is just weird. Increase the time a full lamp stays lit on deed to at least double to 7-10 (3-4 times a month) days, since olive season only comes during certain time and/or increase the amount an olive tree gives you (like previous post maybe higher skill = more olives). ONE olive per tree is silly, either that or cut down the cooldown period for harvesting olive trees or increase the time frames the olive trees can be harvested. There are many solutions to calm everyone down but raging and yelling and giving no solutions or ideas is not very constructive.

Edited by Smokie

Perhaps, if you hire a guard they will maintain the on deed lamps on a "never never" basis in addition to their regular duties ?

• Like 2

Perhaps, if you hire a guard they will maintain the on deed lamps on a "never never" basis in addition to their regular duties ?

If you're saying they keep lamps on deed fueled forever...sure or maybe make it so there is a choice of having guards keep lamps fueled for a little bit more upkeep costs or having to manually fill them for lower upkeep costs or have it certain amount of lamps / guard.

Edited by Smokie

maybe 1 guard can keep say 20 lamps lit indefinately, 2 guards 50 and so on

• Like 1

Got another issue to deal with. Seems the guards will use ALL the olive oil ondeed. I have no way to save my good oil for compasses, guard will use it to refill the lamps. Just checked the little stash I had for compasses and it is almost gone already. And a small mention was made of what this is going to do to noobs. Let's address that more. A noob will have much more trouble getting a village started now and keeping it lit. How many will get a sickle, get the skill to harvest decent olives, and get the skill to press for olive oil without getting frustrated and quitting first? This adds a lot more work than some seem to realize, and all to no more purpose than to take up time. Time that could be fun, instead of another "chore" to do. This is a change to the game, but it is NOT an improvement.

• Like 2

Got another issue to deal with. Seems the guards will use ALL the olive oil ondeed. I have no way to save my good oil for compasses, guard will use it to refill the lamps. Just checked the little stash I had for compasses and it is almost gone already. And a small mention was made of what this is going to do to noobs. Let's address that more. A noob will have much more trouble getting a village started now and keeping it lit. How many will get a sickle, get the skill to harvest decent olives, and get the skill to press for olive oil without getting frustrated and quitting first? This adds a lot more work than some seem to realize, and all to no more purpose than to take up time. Time that could be fun, instead of another "chore" to do. This is a change to the game, but it is NOT an improvement.

Exactly... not to mention just the aesthetic value of the game. How many noobs get confused/annoyed with the nights? Quite a few. Now, with no lamps, travelling at night as a noob will give the whole game just a run down, depressing feel to it. Maybe it's just me, but I can't imagine people taking the time to refill alll the lamps on public roadways.

I used to love Sim City back in ... I don't know 1990 or something when dropped houses, connected a few power lines and that was it, I did not enjoy the later additions that needed sewer lines, internet, tunnels, subways and god knows what else.

I'm not so old that I don't still have an imagination :

Definition of IMAGINATION

: the act or power of forming a mental image of something not present to the senses or never before wholly perceived in reality

I don't need to know how my lamps stay lit to need it replaced with another chore added to my game time, I've been back playing Skyrim yet again, I think the main reason why is I do things because I can with the game mechanics, not things that people have constantly pissed and moaned about how its unrealistic and we end up with more boring crap to do that worked fine before.

Keep adding more things I must do manually and perhaps when it gets to be so much that I dont have time to actually have fun anymore "playing" the game, I'll leave my chores to you Rolf along with my deeds accounts and everything else.

PS. Oracle your suggestion is even more steps than just adding straight Olive oil, I will give you the fact that when Olive oil is used up and out of season it will be all you can do, perhaps we can make your suggestion necessary for laterns as well because we've had it easy far too long.

Oh this better not be true, I have a stash of 90ql oil for compass too, i would hate for it to be gone. :(

This only pushes Wurm Online closer to Chores online and farther from anything fun.

What's next?

Are we going to have to wash our pottery bowls and frying pans before we can reuse them?

Be forced to fertilize and pesticide our fields to grow crops?

Or need to sweep the floors inside our houses to avoid becoming diseased?

This is just a needless and time consuming chore that takes play time away from doing or creating the things we want and actually enjoy doing.

Sign in to follow this