Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

A Few Mostly Minor Bugfixes Today

On one hand, Rolf is making Wurm easier(Epic). On the other, he's making things more of a pain(This change, enchanted grass change, aggros attacking horses). Apparently, Rolf wants us to spend no time at all grinding skills, but tons of time doing stupid little chores around the deed.

Edited by darthryan

ginding skills is not the only thing in the game, aggro horses is probably to help control congestion. Whats wrong with animals attacking horses? seems basic to me. Use the taunt function and kite the animal away from the horse. You guys approach this with a very immature attitude with very little constructive feedback, just QQing all the time. If you don't like the way things are give some feedback that rofl can implement to help make things better. I think you need to look and what kind of game wurm is and re-evalutate your perception on what wurm is suppose to be. Listening to the community is one thing but raging and ranting about little changes like this is is another. Afterall is rofl's game and there will be many more changes to come before he markets this game. Consider it to be in BETA still, changes will happen and will come.

For real is filling up some lamp and picking some olives a few times a month REALLY going to hurt your grind?!

Edited by Smokie
  • Like 1

I have about 20 lamps on my deed, perimeter and in my mine. Each would need on average 2-3 olives (allowing for failures in pressing and losing some). Thats 40-60 olives on average every 3-5 days (or 9-15 for the on-deed ones). I have about 28 olive trees on my deed that are only occasionally in season - I can't get anywhere near enough to keep all my lamps lit, and the added work of harvesting all that I can and pressing them is a lot time consuming that you seem to be imagining.

This does not make olive oil any more useful, but does make tar far more necessary.

0.125kg Tar should last 5-6 RL days.

0.125kg Olive oil should last 50-60 RL days.

Then olive oil becomes a much more useful alternative and is more worthwhile to make.

High ql oil should last 50-60 (or however long) days and low ql oil should last shorter time.

Edited by Smokie

-1 to 60 day lamps for one fill.

-1 to casting more forever lamps

+1 to making forestry more useful by adding to the amount harvested

+1 to adjusting the seasons

+1 to using animal fat after cooking it down to oil.

+1 to adding more time to lamps staying lit or requiring less oil.

+1 to the QL of lamps/oil effecting lasting longer

• Like 1

What about high QL lamps hold more oil and therefore can burn and stay lit longer and require not as much attention. This will require higher end skill for good lamps and still leave a market for lamps.

Edited by Smokie
  • Like 1

Just wondering, can olive oil actually be sold at a merchant or even mailed?

You can send containers through the mail with wrapped items in them (rake, shovel ect) so im sure you can fill it with oil and mail the container. Have not tried with oil though. As for merchants, I have no clue. I think I'll buy a merchant and test it out :)

EDIT: I asked in GL about selling liquids on merchants and got this response: [05:14:54] <Zerobyte> wouldnt let me add it smokie, says there is liquid in the container and you have to empty it first

Edited by Smokie

Nice. Step in the right direction. But whats it mean "increased for higher ages"?

Nice. Step in the right direction. But whats it mean "increased for higher ages"?

The trees themselves have an age when you can harvest and Older trees will give more Olives basically.

Though you can only actually harvest from 'Mature', 'Old' or 'Very Old' - so there's not all that much range to consider - and let's be honest.. are you really going to check the age of the tree and maybe wait for it to age first? doubt it. If harvest shows up in the context menu - bam. However many you get you'll make do with.

Though you can only actually harvest from 'Mature', 'Old' or 'Very Old' - so there's not all that much range to consider - and let's be honest.. are you really going to check the age of the tree and maybe wait for it to age first? doubt it. If harvest shows up in the context menu - bam. However many you get you'll make do with.

You can see the trees age with out examining and no if its time to harvest you would harvest and hope for more before the season ends.

Edited by Uberknot

Only if your forestry skill is high enough. (over 30)

Personally i keep a grove of trees i regularly prune from overaged and very old with sprout down to very old. But then I am a bit of a forestry addict. *hopes yield change will go for more harvestable things and reward those tending trees*

Grinding some forestry up on harvesting with sleepbonus is very fast, try keep stam low and you fly off. Just plant some trees close, like olives/rose/lavender that you can harvest twice a year.

To avoid getting stuck in overgrown olives, plant one row olive and one row shruberry/fruit tree

Edited by Beneldorla

ginding skills is not the only thing in the game, aggro horses is probably to help control congestion. Whats wrong with animals attacking horses? seems basic to me. Use the taunt function and kite the animal away from the horse. You guys approach this with a very immature attitude with very little constructive feedback, just QQing all the time. If you don't like the way things are give some feedback that rofl can implement to help make things better. I think you need to look and what kind of game wurm is and re-evalutate your perception on what wurm is suppose to be. Listening to the community is one thing but raging and ranting about little changes like this is is another. Afterall is rofl's game and there will be many more changes to come before he markets this game. Consider it to be in BETA still, changes will happen and will come.

For real is filling up some lamp and picking some olives a few times a month REALLY going to hurt your grind?!

You don't pay monthly fees on beta versions.

Edited by ReaverKane

Rolf, I guess I'm the one to remind you that lamps lasting forever ondeed is NOT a bug, it was a feature requested by the players a couple of years ago, and you took a long time before relenting and made them forever. All you have done is upset players for no good reason, and made Wurm go a lot darker. There are many problems that really NEED fixing, please concentrate your time on those things, instead of constantly creating these distractions from the real problems.

Yet another "change"that sucks, that no one was clamoring for, with no warning, discussion, statement of intent, just out of the blue. And yet another update that does absolutely nothing towards those 2 story buildings that you have repeatedly stated you were working on as a priority. My best friend got me into this game and is one of the best smiths there is. And he's not playing much lately because you keep making changes to stack on the chores and reduce the actual play time and he's sick of watching you do that to a game he really likes. Which is why this weekend, while I am going to on grinding my mining, he's playing Guildwars.

Rolf, you keep giving us the impression that you are one of the few people in the world who have never heard the phrase "if it ain't broke, stop fixing it."

All those lamps players placed on roads for the good of others? You just wasted their work. Making this refueling thing olive oil only? Yet another attempt to force players to spend their time doing crap THAT IS NOT FUN! If it was tar, I could see it. At least then I could go fill the stupid barrel full of tar and be done with it. But making it so only guards do it? Most deeds don't have spirit guards that I've seen, Mine does, but most don't. So now to keep the freaking lamps lit we have to go hunt for olive trees and pay for guards? Congrats, I think what you just did was hurt your player base and likely cost yourself some future income.

And the guy that mentioned gold nails? Please shut up, don't give Rolf any more bad ideas for the next update. Try reverse psychology, talk about 2 story buildings as if they would be just the most horrible, awful, update ever concieved of, maybe then Rolf will finally do it like he keeps saying he will.

Rolf, the important point about street lamps that you seem to be overlooking is that they enhance the beauty of your game world by lighting up the night skys with their pleasant glow. This makes the world more appealing to new players to attract them to the game and the premium players who enjoy placing them around their deeds and at off deed locations to light the waysides. With this change to street lamps you are undoubtably diminishing this positive enhancing game effect, as people will simply not be taking the extra time to maintain off deed street lamps by refilling them with fuel. Since I presume that you want your Wurm creation to grow and thrive, I think you should spend a few moments pondering this detrimental aspect of the change and then think of what you are losing in exchange for as you put it, making oilve oil more useful and fixing things as they were once supposed to be.

If street lamps were once supposed to function in this manner of rapidly using up their rightful and only fuel source of olive oil, this dosen't mean that it was a good idea in the first place justifying a reversion to that state, nor that the only way to "make olive oil more useful" is by applying it to street lamps in the manner you propose. Olive oil's main use is in cooking in the real world and it would seem to fit that bill in Wurm as well, so it would be better to look in that direction for ways to enhance its value and useability.

I seriously doubt any of the people who think this change is a reasonable one with little negative effect have ever placed a street lamp in a location off their deed for the benifit of other players such as a off deed inn, a darkened pathway, inside a mine next to a forge and bin, in cave canals, next to a guard tower to mark it in the dark, ect, ect. These are things one does for the benifit of other people, which is a foreign concept to some and they would not consider spending the time doing it; however, those who do place these off deed street lamps are contributing a positive addition to your game world and thus in effect helping you out as well. If you can not see the detrimental effect of your street lamp fueling change in this respect, I really can do no more to point it out to you in a plain manner.

Under your proposed change, I can and will do without the use of street lamps but your Wurm game world will be a duller place without these off deed street lamps lighting up the night skys. You made a positive option available to players who through their own time and effort could place them around the Wurm environs enhancing the game world but now you are instituting an unneeded detrimental change that will drastically reduce their use in this positive manner. Consider these consequences because they are not in the least farfetched and the shame is that it does not need to be this way.

Please return all street lamps, on and off deed, to the function where they need only be filled with tar once and lit. Make the improvement that off deed street lamps will also turn on and off during the night hours. The benifit for on deed lamps is that they do not decay once planted and the decay of off deed street lamps is enough of a negative effect placed upon them. Street lamps in mines should always remain lit and never run out of fuel as well. A simple system, plant, fill, light, done. Then on to other things that will actually be an improvement to the game, as street lamps were previous to your recent change to them.

=Ayes=

• Like 3

They should not stay on all the time without any kind of fuel anywhere they are planted. Whatever the fix is going to be should only adjust the time a lamp is lit and/or the amount of oil players can get through what ever process.

My suggestion would be:

- revert the whole thing, by far the most sane solution;

- if that really won't be done then replace the olive-oil bathtub for a tarbox (maybe, maybe that in combination with a spell to have those burn out a lot slower might be faintly acceptable as to giving priests an extra spell-perk - even without spell it must be well doable though, else don't even start on it)

- keep the olive-oil for lamps as a choice, and no more then that, with a perk to it like 'olive-oil burns quite a bit brighter, also in your personal lantern'. A handful of players will then go for that way as to lamps, despite all the work, and thats also about the amount the server and game can even cater to as to number of olivetrees, space enough for them, and silver plus will enough on those few players to buy and fill up the needed space for them followed by the needed number of hours to pick and process their fruits over and over.

- Giving a very meaningful perk such as considerably brighter for using olive-oil in personal lanterns may be doable (not an absolutely unacceptable amount of work and needed trees) for a much larger number of players, both on and off deed - then you still have your wanted use for olive-oil implemented. Without turning wurm into wurm-olivia.

Last night I logged in to an alliance-chat where villagers and neighbours alike were all but one very seriously discussing whether they would call it a day with this game or not. A very dedicated and loyal group, this is the first time ever I have seen this happen (of course the single one who was willing to endure also this bad update on top of those in the past period would leave too if all others around him left - thats just logistics). It was a very sad occasion. No hate-talks or flaming going on - just angry and at the same time sad conclusions almost being drawn, story on that to be continued in coming weeks I guess :(

Edited by Kianga

I don't like lamps much...maybe now people will use them more subtly.

and so it has begun..entire forrests of trees already cut down....rest walled in....before first harvest most every tree will be on a deed...fenced in....and no pil for the masses will exist...TYVM....

I support either a) tar box, or B) processing tar into tar oil and/or other byproducts.

Or increase the length of the olive seasons. 2-3 days out of 42 isn't enough to have time to allow for life outside of Wurm and having time to harvest enough olives to make it through to the next season. If you misjudge the amount of oil you need or something, there's also a good chance that you'll not be able to gather more materials for a real life month or more.

I'm not disparaging the change. Just requesting that some further changes be made to make it less of a chore (which isn't fun) and allow more time for playing and enjoying the game, following pursuits that are more relevant to our various interests.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by Enki, June 26, 2012 - rehidden while under review.
Hidden by Enki, June 26, 2012 - rehidden while under review.

..and no pil for the masses will exist...TYVM....

Yeah I can see what you mean as many of the masses need some kind of pils at this time. ;)

Sign in to follow this