Mattson

Song Of The Day (No Trolling, Just Music)

I always love listening to some of today's young people. So much talent out there in such young bodies.  Came across this little gal today.  All I can say is O M G.

Edited by Amadee

So, decided to add this one just because. :)  This one got 5.6 million views and I can see why.  I'm blown away by such a voice and delivery from such a little thing.  Besides jazz & blues, she does many other styles and nails all of them.

• Like 1

Wow!!  Ok, so I wasn't going to post any more songs for a while. lol.  But I just had to post this singer from Kazakhstan. 

The general consensus on youtube is that he isn't human and I think I agree.  This is from wiki...."is known for his wide vocal range of 6 octaves, from D2 to D8 (and 6 octaves and 5 semitones, from A1 to D8, with vocal fry). This spans from the bottom of the bass range beyond the top of the soprano range."

This vid isn't my fav style of music, and I like some of his other stuff better, but the song really showcases his range. It's a song that is usually sung with 3 people in different ranges. Unreal.

Edited by Amadee
changed to english subtitles version
  • Like 1

something that grew on me for at first not enough meat on the bone in range with falsetto being weak/off but baritone is on to be true grit blues flavor.

Very blues in lyrics as well, so to make it work better for me,  closed my eyes and imagined a husky chaka khan buck rack top tipped type with a power mane and small ankles singing this with better tenor.

has good bones otherwise and some sultry to be in that entry mellow box of 1/2 into some whisky neat. 

or it evoked dim light furtive play running finger along the shin bone to knee cap with occasional smirk, butterfly lash blink on the ankle, and small bite on tip of big toe chill time. 

last glance summer chance windows all open hookah all sprawl works too.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 1

Some may be able to tell,  although I sample across a wide spanse of genre, I like songs with blues overtones or some underground industrial back beat most.   

This one is a sneaker in that the lyrics, song, impact comes at you far later then you like wow...reminds me of that delayed wut tha on the dragon.

Edited by Bloodscythe
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Bloodscythe said:

Some may be able to tell,  although I sample across a wide spanse of genre, I like songs with blues overtones or some underground industrial back beat most.   

This one is a sneaker in that the lyrics, song, impact comes at you far later then you like wow...reminds me of that delayed wut tha on the dragon.

I very much like this song, soothing and relaxing. Reminds me of Sade.

The video is a bit upsetting though, does she set herself on fire?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Amaluna said:

I very much like this song, soothing and relaxing. Reminds me of Sade.

The video is a bit upsetting though, does she set herself on fire?

Well, it's really more cerebral figurative than real.   It's conveying the routines of our daily life and exploring our inner voice dialogue to break emotional cycles and  search for something more than we are used to, even if that means to purge ourselves of things dear to us.

I did like the silky sound of Sade and all her work.  This artist cuts in a lil deeper with the same satin and velvet ensconced voice yet has some more power of determination to it, combined with some Lauren Hill or Eryka Badu in terms of  sounds and lyrics that have a stronger social and self imperatives.

Edited by Bloodscythe

ALIEN WEAPONRY - Whispers (Official Video) | Napalm Records

• Like 1

On 8/10/2019 at 9:12 PM, Bloodscythe said:

something that grew on me for at first not enough meat on the bone in range with falsetto being weak/off but baritone is on to be true grit blues flavor.

Very blues in lyrics as well, so to make it work better for me,  closed my eyes and imagined a husky chaka khan buck rack top tipped type with a power mane and small ankles singing this with better tenor.

has good bones otherwise and some sultry to be in that entry mellow box of 1/2 into some whisky neat. 

or it evoked dim light furtive play running finger along the shin bone to knee cap with occasional smirk, butterfly lash blink on the ankle, and small bite on tip of big toe chill time. 

last glance summer chance windows all open hookah all sprawl works too.

I really like this. This is very much in my grandaughter's writing & singing style, which I'm overly fond of for obvious reasons.  :)  I'll def be looking up some more of this guy's stuff.

• Like 1

There is another vid (the Bastau concert) where Dimash gives a much better performance vocally, as he had lost his voice before this performance and had throat injections. 

I posted this one as this performance is so emotional and heart wrenching, and gives the background of the song.  I also found additional information online.

" in 1999... In mainland China, in the picturesque area of Guizhou Ma Ling, on October 3, 1999, from the cable car, due to overload, the cabin fell from a huge height. Only 10 people can be transported in each cabin, but in one there were 36 passengers. the company wanted to earn as much as possible. Young parents managed to transfer their 2-year-old son into the hands of rescuers, but they themselves fell into the abyss and perished. Learning about this story, the singer Han Hung adopted a child. It is worth noting that Han Hung herself lost her father at six years old, her mother was a singer, and the grandmother helped the upbringing of Han. In this song, Han reflected the history of the orphan, but also in it you can see the history of the singer herself"

Only 14 survived out of the 36.

Song starts at 4:22. It's in Chinese so click on the CC button for english subtitles

Edited by Amadee

And on a lighter note....  Some more Dimash vocal acrobatics.  What he does at the end of the first one (starting at 2:20) surpasses Vitas.

edit: Since hearing Dimash for the first time when I posted S.O.S., I've been thoroughly taken with him and find myself listening to him daily, even the songs in styles I don't normally listen to, just to hear his voice. His voice is so beautiful and enchanting, his range & control, and variety of song styles like Michael Jackson, Queen, and Uptown Funk. Guess I've become a fan.  Good thing I'm not 50 years younger or I'd probably be infatuated too. lol.  :)

This one is just mind blowing as he vocally imitates electronic sounds & hits the whistle register in the second half (starting around 3:00), Diva Dance (I think from 5th element).

Edited by Amadee

Tori Kelly - Coffee (Live from Capitol Studios)

Edited by Scottfree2
  • Like 2

I'm going to the Reggae on the Mountain festival tomorrow and get to see one of my all time favorite reggae bands, Steel Pulse.  I'm stoked. I've seen them a few times live over the years and they always put on a great show. Haven't seen them live for at least ten years now though so this is going to be a real treat. :)

First time I saw these guys live was at the 1990 Sunsplash in Jamaica (or maybe it was the '91, pretty sure they were at both), and as a bass player, fell completely in love with their melodic bass lines. Of course I became obsessed with learning all their songs. lol. These two are among my favorites and ones I learned first.

Edited by Amadee
clearer version of one
  • Like 1

On 8/16/2019 at 1:16 PM, Amadee said:

I'm going to the Reggae on the Mountain festival tomorrow and get to see one of my all time favorite reggae bands, Steel Pulse.  I'm stoked. I've seen them a few times live over the years and they always put on a great show. Haven't seen them live for at least ten years now though so this is going to be a real treat. :)

First time I saw these guys live was at the 1990 Sunsplash in Jamaica (or maybe it was the '91, pretty sure they were at both), and as a bass player, fell completely in love with their melodic bass lines. Of course I became obsessed with learning all their songs. lol. These two are among my favorites and ones I learned first.

First, through this thread, music posts, and more recently the commentary along with the song (which I really like as it gives window into what it is the player likes about it, etc) i've come to really get a sense of such a great open free spirit you are Amadee.  Prior, I'd only know you by waving hello as i sailed passed your deed in my ever ending voyages.  This has been great, and I celebrate your spirit and great music range, flavors, choices.

I love this second song best  "Prediction", as it really is so mello and well balanced never disturbing the vibe with a massive rift change.

I'd be remiss not to include a wee bit of that it gives me nostalgia flashback...

In the projects passed the cracked walkway and dirt grass lawn and torn screen cracked glass window thumps the reggae sound.  After entering the dented chipped paint door with hand and foot print stains I see someone has the oven door open to heat the kitchen and dry their wet feet. snot nosed, sticky fingered kids run about bumping the walls, you, dog, and stereo in the other room.  The sounds intensify, the incense in the air is heavy , so is the burnt resin on fingertips.  The room is only lit by what filters through the rastafarian flag covering the one window and the tiny lights from the equalizer bar on the stereo.  Hip knee bounce and slight head bop to the lyrics then refrain syncopation of instruments.......

I'm a Buffalo Solier     In the heart of America   Stolen from Africa, brought to America    Said he was fighting on arrival     Fighting for survival  Said he was a Buffalo Soldier  Win the war for America   Said he was a, woe yoy yo, woe woe yoy yoy   Woe yoy yo yo,  yo yo woy yo......

• Like 1

The festival was amazing, and to my absolute delight Steel Pulse did both of the songs I posted above. :) We had a good spot right up front & center. The crowd was very animated and of course sang along (very loudly I might add lol) to all the older and more well known stuff they did.  Altogether a fantastic experience.

(added a vid from the show someone posted on youtube. Not the greatest quality but still cool)

Bob Marley's son Julian was there. This vid he's doing one of Bob's songs. I actually like his own stuff better than when trying to do his dad's. (youtube won't allow embedding)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ime5CyJRQ

Edited by Amadee
changed one vid

Skyscraper Stan - On Your Corner official video

Actually a Kiwi, but evidently hes been resident in Australia far too long ..  this is a very aussie video :)

• Like 1

LOVEBITES / The Crusade

Just another superb band out of Japan .. that's what u get when all children learn an instrument in school .. odds are some of em will be talented beyond belief.

• Like 1

The Dead South - In Hell I'll Be In Good Company |  A great, mellow - maybe even a bit melancholic - listen. A change of pace of what I usually post, but it's still absolutely amazing music.

• Like 4

Burning Spear - Old Marcus Garvey - Live in Paris, Zenith 88

Amadee's Reggae music above reminded me of my fav ...

...  Reggae Artist, in possibly his best concert,

I particularly like the rock styled lead guitar work, and also noteworthy for a female horn section (horny section? .. there's a joke in there somewhere i bet)  :)

this should be a link to a playlist of the whole concert i hope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ967ZXw_4o&list=PLwivYHfvVP-oAow3AN3nLoGTSZHthIHCy

• Like 1

@Scottfree2  Yeah, Burning Spear always puts on a good show and with stellar musicians.  I've seen him live a few times.  I like a lot of his stuff, like the one you posted, but not all. Sometimes he gets a little weird and just repeats the same line through the whole song. Probably on heavy ganja days, lol.  But even then it's always a good sound.  :)

JINJER - Judgement (& Punishment) (Official Video) | Napalm Records

Brand new, and oddly in sync w recent reggae posts.