Sign in to follow this  
Wraithglow

Crystal Coast Trail Now Open

Greetings fellow Wurmians. Please indulge me while I tell you a story about a particular situation I have been involved with for the past month or so.

Background

Have you ever gone through the Cave Canal on foot? There's a wonderful footpath through there, with some torches and informational signs and everything. It's wonderful! However, you exit at the Crystal Lake end and where does it lead? Here's a picture to give you some idea:

eAHje.jpg

The distance between the Cave Canal and the end of the road is 40 tiles, at least half of which was not paved or even remotely even.

I had some other concerns that related to this - namely that I lived on Maple Island and could do with some more neighbours, and that people starting from The Howl struggle to find space to live, despite me knowing several areas near me that were wonderful but just too hard to reach! Finally, I was fed up of struggling to swim round the coast from near the cave canal whenever I couldn't use a boat.

The Situation

And so, I can reveal that I have created a road (not a highway - i don't mind people modifying this as needed!) which I have been calling the Crystal Coast Trail. This now extends from the Cave Canal, south around Crystal Lake staying to the coast where possible, for a total of approximately 920 tiles to Harbor of Life (conveniently close to my small boat bridge to Maple Island). It is entirely passable by a horse-drawn cart (though there's one spot where you will need to be paying close attention!).

Here's a map to give you an idea:

tU96D.jpg

The Awesome Club

I would give enormous thanks to the following people for helping me each in their own ways:

Amberflame/Ruriko - Collapsing some mine tiles to make the small tunnel near cave canal passable in a large cart.

Anesita - Providing some bricks for paving the road.

Cheshirekat - Helping with surface-mining, providing carts, and generally being very considerate to my pet project.

Difrost - Providing several hundreds of dirt for flatraising, and helping create the tunnel.

Eleangel - Providing carts, and helping with the tunneling work.

Hauler - Providing severl hundreds of dirt for flatraising.

Kristoff - Creating bricks, doing lots of paving, and helping with signs to save people from getting lost (also putting up with my obsession in village chat!).

Pingpong - Helping with surface-mining in one, frankly mind-blowing, afternoon.

Queenrocks - Part of the excellent tunneling crew, and creating all of the support beams for it.

Snoopy - Helping with some of the surface-mining I missed on the first pass.

Conclusion and Pictures

So basically, I invite everyone to come wander the trail, and enjoy the scenery! Here are some pictures (sorry for my poor photography skills) to tempt you along.

A crumbling fortress

uKoSj.jpg

The hardest part - this is where you will need to pay attention!

gtrvn.jpg

A Tempting Road?

rIo7x.jpg

What a wonderful woodland path!

gITmA.jpg

• Like 1

I enjoyed my time helping with this project, great work wraithglow/gang!

Oh great job, this is the kind of infrastructure news i love to hear about. Plus, really glad to see who was involved in making this bothersome trek through clay allot better.

I'm glad to see it finished as well! Nice work everyone!

The road actually ends at my deed :P instead of harbor of life (or harbor of abandoned, I call it).

And I provided only 50ish bricks :P and "emotional support" as Wraigth called it (reluctantly). I did ask him about the progress regularly.

Great job Wraith, i hope all your (insanely) hard work will pay off. Congratulations, and ty. :)

I have added this to the map for you. Hope it is ok. If not Let me know what wrong but unfortuntely I won't be able to make any more changes until the end of the week now.

I used this trail last week to bring my alt over to Maple Island for the Festival. I have to say: stunning work guys !!

I liked the part with the tunnel but got a bit confused at the big settlement near The Harbour of Life.

Maybe you can finish it off with some lamps and information signs like Cave Canal ? Or some billboards for the Festival :P

Awesome. I love reading about community projects :) Hopefully when my skills get up a bit more I can help out with a route south from Mystic Valley area, towards Maple Island, as I know there is alot of broken paths and unsurity on route. =) Keep up the good work

thanks for the feedback chef, I'll look at adding more signs. There are some pointy signs showing the way but I think towards the end they become less frequent