Sign in to follow this  
Daray

Grief Warning In West Celebration

Sadly, some players still have difficulties understanding the differences

between Epic and Freedom. Oneangrykid what you did was not cool. If you

want to steal, please do so on Epic, where you'll get a real challenge.

What happened was as follows. Stenen and I had recently founded a deed,

New Jutland Plains. I was working on the house with our hitched cart behind

me. I heard it move and thought it was Stenen. A little later I asked him for

when he was done using it, to which he confusedly responded that he didn't

have it. It didn't take us long to figure what had happened. Oneangrykid had

been the only one in local chat. I tracked the tile the cart had been on, and

indeed, tracks of him showed up. I tried to PM him, but he had gone offline

at that time. We tracked him to the south a while -- jeez I'm glad I grinded that

skill a little -- but finally lost the tracks.

What we found instead, was another cart with the name Despise etched in it,

and two dead horses. Shortly before our own cart got stolen we heard fighting

two times, but thought then that it must have been a hunter killing unicorns.

This must must have been what we heard! We talked to Despise and found

out that he was a neighbor to the south, and led him to his lost cart.

Later that evening Despise PM'ed us again and told us that he had found our

cart a little to the north of his deed, with the horses still being alive -- which

was very lucky, as we would otherwise have lost our only stallion.

Lesson learned: Check the security details on the wiki for everything you build

with manageable permissions. We didn't know then that you should lock a large

cart with a pad lock in addition to setting permissions.

Edit: See #11.

Edited by Daray

For added security, put your carts in a fenced off area when your not online too!

Name and shame threads have no place on the forums. Sort issues like this diplomatically, or use the KoS feature like everyone else

think he meant it more of a fyi for everyone else to put the guy on kos or make sure their settings and locks are all in place

Name and shame threads have no place on the forums. Sort issues like this diplomatically, or use the KoS feature like everyone else

I disagree with you, mate. Griefing and theft is not OK on Freedom, and therefore it should be allowed to warn other players of griefers and thieves. Unfortunately - while the Wurm community on the whole is friendly and mature - there unfortunately are still a few bad eggs in this game. IMO, issuing theft warnings as the OP did is a helpful service to the community, providing that the case is clear and non-ambiguous, of course.

• Like 1

I agree with yaga and manthium, there are a number of new players on Celebration, and this posts help them to realise that securing stuff is important. Wurm is hard enough to grind when you first start as it is, so this can help. The person named can defend themselves if they wish.

Really like how the OP says the guy is from chaos or epic like they are some sort of barbarians. But oh well typical stereotyping.

Edit: Don't feel like starting a flame war.

Edited by Fitzgerald

Really like how the OP says the guy is from chaos or epic like they are some sort of barbarians. But oh well typical stereotyping.

I might have been unclear in my story. I wasn't out to bash players on epic, and I respect their style of playing. What I meant was that, as I understand it, it is accepted to become outlaw or steal from enemy kingdoms on the epic servers, but not here.

My intent writing about this incident was, as manthium, Yaga and Pryath writes, to warn other new players like myself to secure your stuff, and to alert neighbors in the area that two deeds have already been subject to griefing.

I appreciate the heads up as I'm a neighbour of both these deeds, though by now I've learned to make sure absolutely everything is secured and locked because ... well, just because. My offer still stands that if either of you need anything to help prevent this in the future (iron for locks, horses, etc) just send Arysh a PM. I'd be glad to help out.

Forgive my noob question, but was this on or off deed? If it is on deed, isn't it safe that way? What about on boats? The permissions on them don't prevent people from taking them or the items within?

Forgive my noob question, but was this on or off deed? If it is on deed, isn't it safe that way? What about on boats? The permissions on them don't prevent people from taking them or the items within?

Only if its locked. Otherwise even a deed wont protect them.

I also have a question re locks on carts - a lock will prevent somebody from accessing the inventory of the cart but does it also prevent the cart from being dragged / driven away? My deed is next door to the OP and I have a large cart which is locked but I'm currently working in an off-deed mine and not sure if it's safe to leave the cart in the area. I'm playing it safe and parking it in the animal pen when done but it would be good to know for sure what locking actually does.

A lock will not prevent the cart from being dragged away; however the deed settings will. The lock WILL prevent someone from embarking the cart - if you leave horses hitched without a lock they might not be able to drag the cart, but they can embark it and ride off with it.

You cant be diplomatic with that idiot, and i believe half the server has oneangrykid on KoS by now. What this thread does is teach a valuable lesson to new comers of wurm on how security works. Excellent post Daray.

• Like 1

cmiddlebrook it would be worth finding a junky horse and leaving it hitched to the cart on a grass tile (tamed) therefore they cant drag it and the lock/ settings stop them commanding it or accessing it :)

hitching a horse only work until a server restart though, as those unhitch them again.