Sign in to follow this  
Aetherwalker

Sick To Death Of All The Qqing About Uniques

Here's my suggestion. Remove them entirely, and have GM run scenarios intermittently where a dragon/kyklops/whatever invades from some island we have no access to by means of flight/broken epic portals/etc. Have them well publicised and arranged like unique slayings used to be, and not starting until the GM decides. Thus, no more whining about people "ninja killing". Everyone gets to be part of the kill who wants to. This would also eliminate people penning and farming them, they would exist solely for a community slaying event.

Just my 2i, disagree if you will but I've just had it up to here with people complaining. Uniques should bring our communities rallying together to slay them, not arguing internally over who has rights to what.

I'd agree, except GM intervention on Epic is measured in the hours of reply delay. I fear we'd never get any attention ever at all.

Here's my suggestion. Remove them entirely, and have GM run scenarios intermittently where a dragon/kyklops/whatever invades from some island we have no access to by means of flight/broken epic portals/etc. Have them well publicised and arranged like unique slayings used to be, and not starting until the GM decides. Thus, no more whining about people "ninja killing". Everyone gets to be part of the kill who wants to. This would also eliminate people penning and farming them, they would exist solely for a community slaying event.

Just my 2i, disagree if you will but I've just had it up to here with people complaining. Uniques should bring our communities rallying together to slay them, not arguing internally over who has rights to what.

I agree or just make them Prem only so there wont be so many QQers

I think dragons were always a bad idea, and I think the problems of greed and rarity of the armor is exactly what Notch wanted to avoid - hence why it was never Notch's idea to add them in. Say what you will about Minecraft, but Notch is a good designer on paper. The truth is I think they dropped nothing at all no one would truly care that much, but the issue is people go to them ASAP and try to make a profit because that is the foundation of Freedom in general.

The problem is now that they've existed for so long it's already a tampered market. Hell, drake and scale is now almost as common as chain. It's completely lost its value and rarity from what it was. I remember back on Wild the first time our group (LoL) killed Nosyt and got a green drake set, we were amazed. We had never seen one before in our hands, and we were pretty proud. That rarity of them though is completely gone, getting one now is like being tossed a steel and flint. Dragons aren't even hard, we killed the black, white, and red all in one day in Epic. They were killed within the first 2 days of Celebration opening.

When you add items of great value into a game where there is a natural greed and booming economy it can get cut throat. I've heard so many stories of backstabbing and thieving for drake/scale that it's saddening really.

• Like 1

Eh backstabbing and stealing is inherent to any social environment, especially competitive ones in sandbox games.

If it wasnt uniques and unique-related goodies, it would be something else.

Eh backstabbing and stealing is inherent to any social environment, especially competitive ones in sandbox games.

QFT

However, when things are unique, it means when they are gone, that's it. Of course we know that this is not entirely the case for Wurm as more land is added over time, we get more dead dragon armor.

I like the idea of the spawnable uniques. Perhaps link their spawns and despawns to certain things happening in Godville, or whatever the Wurm Moon playground for the gods is called :P

The problem of putting all the eggs in one basket for one person to grab is what causes the issue. Spread it out and include more players how ever you do it and people won't feel so jaded.

Here's my suggestion. Remove them entirely, and have GM run scenarios intermittently where a dragon/kyklops/whatever invades from some island we have no access to by means of flight/broken epic portals/etc. Have them well publicised and arranged like unique slayings used to be, and not starting until the GM decides.
Something like this has been being discussed recently. Very early days yet so I'm promising nothing.

As for Girlinhat - I really don't see what relevence your comment is to the topic at hand. It's not like these things would take up hours of GM time, or would be so frequent that a dedicated team is solely working on them and thus not responding to /support calls.

I think the dragons should have a chance to respawn every few months and make them fly away to a new location on the server every few days so that they can't be reliably penned.

Edited by RomaN
  • Like 1

I think the dragons should have a chance to respawn every few months and make them fly away to a new location on the server every few days so that they can't be reliably penned.

+1 definately they need the ability to fly somewhere else unless their wings are shot/cut/bashed/etc... off. This might involve the need for archers to take the beast down before it gets away and then closer range fighters would have to come in and finish the job. Anyways it could add more tactics and players into the mix.

+1 to GM directly controlled dragons to terrorize the land.

Bad idea there suntan, there's enough bad blood between players and GM's (mostly on the players part) that anytime a dragon flies overhead all you'll hear is screaming/flaming on the forums of "GM abuse". ><

Actually, no. It doesn't have to be in every social system. Sorry you see things that way. Unfortunately this is a very contagious mindset for some reason.

I think dragons were always a bad idea, and I think the problems of greed and rarity of the armor is exactly what Notch wanted to avoid - hence why it was never Notch's idea to add them in. Say what you will about Minecraft, but Notch is a good designer on paper. The truth is I think they dropped nothing at all no one would truly care that much, but the issue is people go to them ASAP and try to make a profit because that is the foundation of Freedom in general.

The problem is now that they've existed for so long it's already a tampered market. Hell, drake and scale is now almost as common as chain. It's completely lost its value and rarity from what it was. I remember back on Wild the first time our group (LoL) killed Nosyt and got a green drake set, we were amazed. We had never seen one before in our hands, and we were pretty proud. That rarity of them though is completely gone, getting one now is like being tossed a steel and flint. Dragons aren't even hard, we killed the black, white, and red all in one day in Epic. They were killed within the first 2 days of Celebration opening.

When you add items of great value into a game where there is a natural greed and booming economy it can get cut throat. I've heard so many stories of backstabbing and thieving for drake/scale that it's saddening really.

This pretty much sums up my view, thanks Postes for your good thoughts. I really miss Notch. He left shortly after I joined this game, and its gone nowhere but downhill from that moment. Keep waiting for things to improve but they just get worse. Maybe 0x10c will satiate my craving for this game at last.

Edited by Hrafnhildr

Um, no, not really. I was BL for a good chunk of Wild and my early days of Wurm. I never ever ever ever once heard any cases of backstabbing in the villages I was in (The Horde). Chumpeh, Caesar, Rozare, Chasone, Siege, Aab, and others were all great people, and we didn't have those luxuries of drake/scale. There wasn't much there for anyone to steal and run off with because we were of meager resources - we could easily provide good armor, enchants, and weapons but anyone could of done that also in other kingdoms.

I honestly never experienced true thievery and backstabbing until it involved drake. I think the first instance I really saw it was with Schweet (Or Kingen) and Rudie with Hell's Kitchen.

Edited by Postes
  • Like 1

As for Girlinhat - I really don't see what relevence your comment is to the topic at hand. It's not like these things would take up hours of GM time, or would be so frequent that a dedicated team is solely working on them and thus not responding to /support calls.

I'm not worries about GM-controlled dragon hunts eating into /support time. In fact just the opposite. I've heard on Freedom about how /support responses are almost instant. On Epic it took about two hours to get my boat unstuck from a cave. Given this track record, and how GM's favor Freedom very clearly, I can imagine Freedom getting dragon hunts while Epic gets one half-assed GM who begins a hunt and then goes afk and it ends in failure and then never happens again for a month.

And don't say "GM's aren't that bad" because I've had boat issues and the /dev or /support help line too literally days to do anything about the issue, and insulted me while doing nothing productive.

Drake/scale on freedom is as important and benificial as Louis Vuitton purses are to firefighters. Except we can at least see their purses.

Um, no, not really. I was BL for a good chunk of Wild and my early days of Wurm. I never ever ever ever once heard any cases of backstabbing in the villages I was in (The Horde). Chumpeh, Caesar, Rozare, Chasone, Siege, Aab, and others were all great people, and we didn't have those luxuries of drake/scale. There wasn't much there for anyone to steal and run off with because we were of meager resources - we could easily provide good armor, enchants, and weapons but anyone could of done that also in other kingdoms.

I honestly never experienced true thievery and backstabbing until it involved drake. I think the first instance I really saw it was with Schweet (Or Kingen) and Rudie with Hell's Kitchen.

I am not merely referring to dragon gear.

Ive played Wild as long as its existed, and been involved in one fashion or another with most of the major pvp villages. Then of course theres the old beta politics, I spent my formative Wurm newb period hearing stories about those.

In my experiences the thievery and backstabbing has occured many times. Often enough for it to be specifically guarded against by many pvp villages. New villagers are rarely given enough access to cause significant damage. Course thats just the more common raw material and gear pilfering. Most of that never makes it to the forums since its handled inhouse and people get kos'ed.

Then theres the more dramatic cases. Trusted people will suddenly show their true colors, giving away writ access, luring people into traps, mass-suiciding accounts and etc.

The reasons can vary dramatically: unannounced account sales, sleeper spies, complete idiots, or someone simply becoming mad to name just a few. Destruction of defensive writs occured at least three times I know of in Goldv1 Wild, and I could spend all day listing every other case of backstabbing I can recal from the last six years.

Hell thats not even getting into the Freedom cluster. Ive never played on the vast majority of those servers, so the gods only know the shenanigans that have occured there.

Course thievery in Wurm doesnt require backstabbing persay, and I plead the Fifth on what I know of those B)

Edited by Klaa

I'm not worries about GM-controlled dragon hunts eating into /support time. In fact just the opposite. I've heard on Freedom about how /support responses are almost instant. On Epic it took about two hours to get my boat unstuck from a cave. Given this track record, and how GM's favor Freedom very clearly, I can imagine Freedom getting dragon hunts while Epic gets one half-assed GM who begins a hunt and then goes afk and it ends in failure and then never happens again for a month.
This is due to where people happen to be online at any one time. There are more players on Freedom - including staff members, so those /support calls get seen much more frequently. It's nothing to do with GM's prefering Freedom calls and snubbing Epic. We all work on all servers - where we are aware something needs attention.

All uniques should respawn without notice IMO. Its kind of sad to see how almost all the uniques are killed on cele after like a week of its release. None of them were public so how can someone take part in the killing if only the friends of the top fighters hear about it? The dragons i understand but the rest... I really wanted to get the titles for killing them. Also some of them like the goblin leader is pretty weak. There are some players who can solo it

Edited by atazs

All uniques should respawn without notice IMO. Its kind of sad to see how almost all the uniques are killed on cele after like a week of its release. None of them were public so how can someone take part in the killing if only the friends of the top fighters hear about it? The dragons i understand but the rest... I really wanted to get the titles for killing them. Also some of them like the goblin leader is pretty weak. There are some players who can solo it

I don't even like the fact the Newest servers Dragons were slaughtered they way they were. One of the most valuable resource and interest in the New server was taken out without anyone Newer to the game even having a chance to see them. This needs to be addressed in a way like you said unknown random spawnings that just happen now and then. The way it is now will continue and to be honest makes Wurm look bad for players coming to the game.

That is another valid point. Not having some kind of respawn ruins the experience for newer players, who thus never get to have the experience.

On one hand I wouldnt want to see dragon armor become more common than chain or leather. On the other, players should have an opportunity to see dragons, fight dragons, hatch dragons, and so on.

• Like 1

Perhaps some sort of random respawn, combined with a much lower butchering success chance and/or hide/scale yield?

Preserves some of the rarity of drake and scale whilst giving new players the experience of helping to kill them.

+1 Those who want to get involved can and those who don't care can easily avoid it all. A scenario where almost everyone is happy is the best.

Perhaps some sort of random respawn, combined with a much lower butchering success chance and/or hide/scale yield?

Preserves some of the rarity of drake and scale whilst giving new players the experience of helping to kill them.

+1 A simple solution, nothing that says a dragon always has to give out hide/scale.

Imagine if dragons were common enough to become a menace... worse than vermin...breathing fire... THE HORROR!!!