Sign in to follow this  
Queenjanet

Idiots Guide - Because I Need One!

I've just started on this and it's my first time on this kind of online game. Professional gamer i'm not!

Firstly, i've found the whole community darn amazing - really friendly and very very helpful. I haven't once been made to feel like an annoying new player. It's certainly helped having family and friends on here to help me along as well.

Onto the topic title - I certainly need an Idiots Guide. With much amusement for my friends i have found my "gaming intelligence" to be rather somewhat lacking.

1st - I lost my spade. Panic stricken i looked and looked around and couldn't find it. 20 minutes of wondering why it had disappeared I, acciddently, looked down. Low and behold - the missing spade - at my feet!

then - my spade went missing again. Another 10 minutes and, with help from my cousin, i found it in my inventry. I hadn't realised i could scroll down!

(im not computer illiterate - honest!)

Well it just got better! I went off mining and started to get attacked. I ran like mad back to safety. I was totally confused that my combat screen hadn't appeared, convinced i'd somehow deleted it. Guards hadnt come to help when i'd asked for help. After explaining to a friend that it said i was hurt, cus it flashed up i was, and i had a lightly scratched torso (major injury in my eyes) i was asked what the "monster" looked like. I said I didnt know cus i'd ran like the wind. he realised id actually just fallen, and had been running from absolutely nothing except an angry slope!!!!!

Carts - i must be the only person that has taken over 4 hrs to make a small cart. I followed the Wiki instructions, but just couldn't get past the stage of unfinished wheel axles. id managed to make wheels, and attached to axles, but alas no further than that. Yet again online friends to the rescue. Every time i made a wheel i put it onto an axle. I was then trying to combine 1 wheeled axle with another wheeled axle. Common sense had obviously evaded me that each axle needs 2 wheels that share 1 axle.

If nothing else in the first couple of days i have amused several people with my very blonde gaming antics, and one gamer has been reduced to tears of laughter!

But im addicted and here to stay. Even dying at six o clock on the morning and waiting for over an hour for someone i knew to log on and help me hasnt put me off!!

• Like 9

Congratulations, you have the Wurm addiction! Closest "newbie" guides I can offer are the ones you may have already discovered here (not all are up to date):

http://wurmpedia.com...Category:Guides

Also see: (which you probably already found too):

http://forum.wurmonl...86-game-guides/

Seriously though, it sounds like you are already off to a great start. Simply having a good attitude is going to mean most of the community is already at your service.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

I enjoyed reading this, it made me remember how I was when I started. :P

Seriously though, it sounds like you are already off to a great start. Simply having a good attitude is going to mean most of the community is already at your service.

+1

If nothing else in the first couple of days i have amused several people with my very blonde gaming antics, and one gamer has been reduced to tears of laughter!
I honestly have a small tear in each eye just from reading your post. It was the angry slope that tipped me over the edge :D

Welcome to the madness we call "wurming". If you can keep your sense of humor it allows you to see the funny/ironic side of wurm and it helps immensely! Best of luck :)

Wurm is always a steep learning curve... as a noob I spent hours and hours waiting for fish to cook on a campfire because I didn't realise you had to fillet them first!

I also expertly settled as far away from the spawn point as possible, meaning that when I died (not if but WHEN) I had a very long walk back home! However, it made me good at navigating on Wurm :P

My best Wurm days were when I wandered around Wurm, only half knowing what I was doing... make the most of thoe days! :D

Hah. Your story made me sign up to play this game after I had been reading the forums for an hour and not totally convinced yet. :)

• Like 1

As well as a couple of others, this has definitely convinced me this is the game I want to be playing!

I have been looking at it for a couple of weeks and have just been waiting on my new computer to be delivered.

Hoping to get it downloaded and playing within a few days. Can't wait!

Fair warning, there will be loads of noob questions. :)

Welcome to Wurm, We've been waiting for you.

this sounds almost scary LOL

oh man.. this guy.. i used to BE this guy.

don't worry dude you don't need an idiots guide. just keep the wiki close by and stay in contact with your buddies and you will get along just fine. once you get a good grasp of the concepts you'll be fine..

i've been playing off and on a few years now and i still have these moments.

"angry slope"

I laughed; wonderfully simple description of a commonly encountered concept. Let this term be used for all future to describe tiles angled in such a way that running across them may cause leg wounds!

Edited by EliasTheCrimson

+1 for the writing, got me laughing. Reminds me the time i started out.

There is Help chat where you can allways ask advice when cant figure things out.

And Wiki is your friend ;)

Welcome to WURM

Edited by Trapperz

That angry slope part had me laughing out loud for sure. Welcome to the game, we're happy to have you!

What server are you on? If you're on Celebration I will help answer any questions you have when I'm around. Name in-game is Niclamus.

OMG i remember freaking out when i took damage from slopes... i ran faster down the slope getting even more damage XD by the time i found out there wasnt a monster my health was half way down from slope damage O.o

Run! Run while you still can!

This. haha yes run. Quickly.

:) welcome

Edited by Kyrmius

While I do like the OP alot, and understand people want to show they do too, perhaps consider:

Queenjanet

Member Since 06 Jun 2012

Offline Last Active Jun 06 2012 03:35 AM

• Like 1

I welcome you to the chaos that is Wurm. I do remember those first few months of learning all of the in and outs of the game. Getting killed in my yard and still being lost to find my house. LOL. Lost all my good tools a few times. Took over 4 years before I fianlly got the whole slope digging thing. I wish you the best and always ask if you need help. The people here are amazing and always willing to lend a hand or a shovel.