Sign in to follow this  
AceRifle

Mortal Online

good god is this patcher for mo crappy, taking 2389472384 years to download this when i have a 30mb net! :-( first time in 6 years i seen 5kps.....

am i not the only one who thinks that this looks worringly similar to wurm?

copyright infringement

im sure there is some if you were to look at the source code

Not really. It's been around for a few years now. it uses Epic Games' Unreal Engine 3, while Rolf's is a custom supersecret javasauce that only he really understands.

All of the sandbox survival games are going to have a lot in common and all of them probably borrowed ideas initially from UO (skill based with animal taming, lockpicking, farming, building, etc). Except maybe the terraforming, not sure if Wurm was the first with that or not. And I don't think anyone else's is implemented quite like Wurm. Most of the others seem to focus more on combat & PvP, while Wurm focuses more on crafting & village life. Mortal Online though seems to have its own unique share of issues and I don't think its an actual threat to Wurm. Probably Xyson is a closer competitor in many ways. Also I don't think the sandbox genre is really hurt by having several different options out there for people.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

So I tried MO about a month ago or so, and maybe it was just me, but there didn't seem to be much to do. Am I missing something? Most of the time seemed to be spent grinding kills to get money to craft something (though gods know how that is done).

I know this post is a bit jumpy, i'm just wondering if I missed something playing it or did Wurm just set too high expectations for a sandbox game?

So I tried MO about a month ago or so, and maybe it was just me, but there didn't seem to be much to do. Am I missing something? Most of the time seemed to be spent grinding kills to get money to craft something (though gods know how that is done).

I know this post is a bit jumpy, i'm just wondering if I missed something playing it or did Wurm just set too high expectations for a sandbox game?

yeah...i think that was it...i played it a few weeks only and it felt like a pure grinding fest.....problem is, that you can't take all skills you want and need at the same time, cause the number of skillpoints is restricted ALOT and the things you can do with those "sparse" skillpoints if you want to master 1 skill...is just too less....

In the end this game felt strange for me...achievements are hard to get and its too easy to loose them too, because you just stand around for 5 minutes somewhere and get robbed or a redname is killing you just for fun and robs you too.

i had no skillpoints anymore after a very short time, but what I could do with it, felt like nothing.....and the failrate for taming(i tried to master it) is way too high...also the informations on how to do stuff are very sparse too...and im normally good in finding informations about games.....so in the end, maybe it is fun to play if you are playing in an already established big guild with people that will stay at your side most of the time, but I'm still missing the sandboxy feel...its more like hardcore only without a way to protect yourself, except you go for a pure fighter....in race and skills...-.-

ah btw.: I'm talking about having premium too, f2p is like a joke lol

Edited by Miretta