Sign in to follow this  
Hellaciouss

Manure

So with all the unicorns and horses out there, why isn't there a fertilizer in game for crops? Surely they must poop, yes? Why can't we go around collecting it and using it on crops as fertilizer, lessening the time it takes to grow a crop on whatever tile the fertilizer was used on?

I'm sure all the horse farmers out there would love this. ;)

manure.jpg

Edited by Hellaciouss

If so, it must have a short decay time or else there will be manure everywhere :)

[20:59:45] You stepped in Troll faeces! oh oh .....

No no, just no. We don't need that much realism. It would pile up way too quick, so no we horse breeders would not like it. btw this has been suggested many times before.

Us players don't have bodily functions either, we eat and drink and eat and drink, miniature black holes in our stomachs or something. Implementing these excretory functions, even just for animals, would open it up to more idiocy from small children and immature adults than there already is.

I think it is a good idea. Picking it up with a dung vork, putting it in a wheel barrel, cleaning the field.... (Farms girl here) You don't want that in your backpack! I think it would be a good way to up the farming skill aswell. After removing it from the field, putting it on the scrap heap, or making it a manure heap ;) It should produce a liqoud in a few days that you can pour onto the fields and after some longer time something like 'fertilised dirt'. In my oppinion all animals should produce manure. And because of decay the dirt/grass would be fertilised all on its own as the manure is reused in the earth. This should be maken similar to real live; animals cant feed from grass with alot of manure on them. So if you have a lot of cattle on a small patch with a lot of manure, they can't feed. And a lot of manure increases the change of disease aswell. So, only if you have a lot of cattle on small land you would have to do something about it.

I don't think the game generating a lot of items many people would not want is a good idea. However a compost bin in which you can place plant material to create compost overtime would be okay instead.

Judging by the decay rate of items, I would suspect to see entire islands becomes literal pile of crap within weeks. Especially any horse pen, just packed up over the Tall Stone Walls FULL of manure.

I think it is a good idea. Picking it up with a dung vork, putting it in a wheel barrel, cleaning the field.... (Farms girl here) You don't want that in your backpack! I think it would be a good way to up the farming skill aswell. After removing it from the field, putting it on the scrap heap, or making it a manure heap ;) It should produce a liqoud in a few days that you can pour onto the fields and after some longer time something like 'fertilised dirt'. In my oppinion all animals should produce manure. And because of decay the dirt/grass would be fertilised all on its own as the manure is reused in the earth. This should be maken similar to real live; animals cant feed from grass with alot of manure on them. So if you have a lot of cattle on a small patch with a lot of manure, they can't feed. And a lot of manure increases the change of disease aswell. So, only if you have a lot of cattle on small land you would have to do something about it.

this

the stuff if not in a "Manure pile" should decay very quickly, lasting 36hrs at most.

Edited by Ratheden

Those of you +1ing this idea were obviously not here before bsbs. You are talking 10,000 or more 'dumps' A DAY landing on the server, and they all have to decay rapidly. That's a lot of server time making calculations for 'manure'. It will quickly start affecting all players with lag time, just like decay did before bsbs. Remember, this would affect all animals, not just those in pens (Rolf would be hard put to find a way to make only penned animals 'dump') so there would literally be crap everywhere. And we would ALL be forced to pick up whatever we find and use/dispose of it, just to prevent server lags, even if we chose to not use the manure. You are also talking about changing the code for crops, so the manure or compost would have a positive effect. Farming works just fine right now and doesn't need any fixes, so let's not take a chance of breaking it. Please think an idea all the way through before making one.

Having such byproducts of bodily functions has come up before; though, to little avail. Its a pity personally. Would help to make Wurm more unique.

Especially if its loadable into catapults :P

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 1

I don't think the game generating a lot of items many people would not want is a good idea. However a compost bin in which you can place plant material to create compost overtime would be okay instead.

I agree. Have a high decay rate though to balance it, also i think the compost should have to be applied at a certain time not, such as prior to planting, maybe with in a hour of sowing.

The manure would probably have to decay within an hour to maintain a decent latency, although I would prefer a compost bin: It would work similar to trash heaps, but when the items reach 100 damage they would turn into compost with a QL of the original item. This would also provide another use for a bucket. :P

Edit: The compost could also function as a liquid, so when emptied it disappears. This would minimize stress on the server.

Edited by Kraljtatov