Sign in to follow this  
ericbomb

You Should Try Out Epic!

So lately epic has been really fun for me, lots of good pvp and what not. But want to know what makes pvp even more fun? more folks! So here are a few questions you might have about Epic that maybe by answering I can convince you to try out.

Wont it take me forever to be useful in pvp?

Nope not at all! You can get 50 fs in just a few days, and the home servers are excellent hunting grounds! While 50 fs isn't good enough to go running about by your self at 50 if you're a good listener you'll be a valuable asset in battle, and 70 fs will only take a week or two more if you stick to it!

But I don't want to spend money on expensive gear

If you join an established village on Elevation such as the capitals chances are they'll provide you with everything you'll need!

What if I want to craft? Won't it take too long to catch up

We love crafters and always need more! And not at all, on epic you can get to 50 armor smithing in under a day. And most of the other skills are in a similar fashion!

How many people pvp currently?

Well I can't speak for everyone, but in the last week I've been in two pvp encounters with more then 15 pvp'ers in each. Then like 2 months ago we had over 50 people together attacking the cursed Mongols.

What if I'm a care bear?

Nothing wrong with that! We need crafters and people to do the missions, and it can be quite fun.

What if I want to go back to freedom?

Well you can build your own portal! Portals are very easy to make and with them you can travel back and forth as much as you want! So no need to worry about giving up playing on your freedom character at all!

What if I wanna do missions but am a care bear hermit?

No problem at all! As long as you stay away from the more populated areas of the starting towns on the home servers and the boarder you'll hardly ever see a raider!

So why should I join epic exactly?

With increased skill gain and the curve you can try out things you don't want to invest the time in! Thanks to the curve we can make armor very easily, and because of this dying isn't as big a deal, because of this pvp is fun and a lot less stressful! Not to mention it takes a lot less time too become a good crafter, which overall means less grinding, and a lot more of the fun stuff you want to do.

Anyway hope to see some folks try out epic, and yeah yeah yeah I make a lot of these kind of posts, whatever I love pvp. Anyway give it a shot if you haven't as it can be real fun.

And if you are unsure how to start check out the capitol of the kingdom you want to join, you can hang out there until your stats are up and then be on your way to do whatever it is you want to do!

oh and one more

What if I just don't want to join epic?

Then don't join epic :D no need to get all defensive about it, some people's play style suits the sand boxieness of freedom more then the open endedness of epic.

Edited by ericbomb
  • Like 4

Allready on Epic, good post!

Besides, it is nice that it aint crowded with people, not that we are enough, we need more of course. But what i mean is that it aint impossible to find good spots at all :)

+1 Would be nice to have a few more players on the server. Even if you are on the home servers and havnt tried elevation yet you should come over :) Its the most fun you can have on wurm with your pants on! And to anyone who thinks its too dangerous... ect its really not just find a good group to pvp with and its a lot of fun.

Edited by conloch

Another thing to mention a bit more is the epic curve. A few people might not exactly understand what it is.

It is based on the formula 2x - (x/10)^2 = y where x is your skill you see in your skills tab. y would be your effective skill, which is the skill it acts like. If your effective mining skill was 90, you could mine 90ql ore.

Some easy numbers to remember are:

30 actual skill = 51 effective

50 actual skill = 75 effective

70 actual skill = 91 effective

90 actual skill = 99 effective

Not all skills are affected by the curve. Your characteristics and faith are not affected by the curve, and a few skills like meditating and lockpicking aren't affected by the curve either. For FS, your fighting skill is curved in pvp, but it is not curved in pve.

This makes it so easy to get in to Epic, you could just quickly get 30 mining and 30 blacksmithing, and you could already make yourself 50-60ql tools. It's even nicer for the hard to grind skills like weaponsmithing and channeling. You could get 50 shield skill, 50fs and like 30 weapon skill, and you would already be pretty useful in pvp.

Will likely be trying out Epic good and proper next I can afford a prem alt (So I can play there and on Freedom simultaneously)

you all should. Lots of great communities, I would definitely recommend coming over for a bit you wont regret it :)

Hey you know the home servers are quite peaceful, friendly and there is always villages recruiting players.. you can do anything you like crafting, breeding etc, start our own lil business.

Elevation is great too for players who want to get bit more into combat, but there is established villages and you can live a fairly peaceful life and get into combat once in a while.

Epic is a lot of fun and the grind is no where as harsh so please play with us :)

• Like 1

Oh and don't worry about dying on epic, gear is really easy to make, while dying on purpose is frowned upon, everyone dies on epic now and then, but it's not big deal as chances are we can replace anything you may have lost within the hour. All the capitol villages on Elevation have more armor sets then they do fighters as far as I know.

How many people pvp currently?

Well I can't speak for everyone, but in the last week I've been in two pvp encounters with more then 15 pvp'ers in each. Then like 2 months ago we had over 50 people together attacking the cursed Mongols.

Hey, I feel this Epic recruitment thread is rather biased at this part right here. The mongols are not bad people, just some of us are trolls. :P

+1

The 4 servers of Epic offer the widest variety of play styles, activities, and environments from the competitive PvP arena of Elevation to the quiet low key and safe backwoods seclusion of the 3 Home servers.

Epic also has a massive amount of open untouched land of literally every available type and variety:

Islands

coast lines

Mountains

Valleys

Flat land steppe and of course vast swaths of virgin forests.

Also for those who enjoy hunting, breeding, taming, ranching and other animal and mob related activities

The Three home servers are absolutely packed with the entire selection of creatures from Deer to Bison, Dragons to Forest Giants.all are out here in the wilds in abundance.

All of which are available today!.

Experienced Freedom players wanting to join JK might want to PM Kuzym on Serenity. I'd be interested in helping people who really want to give Epic a try.

I agree you should come to Epic simply because its the best! :D

I think the following should be clarified in simple and punchy terms:

Like PvP? Epic is better for this.

Like PvE? Epic is better for this.

Like working on your own? Epic is better for this.

Like working in groups? Epic is better for this.

Like grinding skills? Epic is better for this.

Like just going out in the field and doing something? Epic is better for this.

So if you join a home server what should you do? Just do what you would do in freedom! Find a nice village to join, or create your own once you're ready. If you join Elevation (which I suggest as it is awesome) I would recommend contacting Phoenix Fire if you go MR, New Tuscany if you go JK, or Black summit if you go BL. They are the current power houses of their side (not so sure on MR, as it needs help badly) and I can almost promise that they'll love new recruits and will have gear and a place to stay ready for yah!

Edited by ericbomb

Oh and sorry for double post but I have one thing I feel like I need to point out, a myth that I keep running into that bothers me immensly. Seventy fs? That takes a week.

The other day I ran into a person that when I suggested they get 70 fs they in all seriousness said that would take 6 months if not longer.

70 fs takes 1 maybe 2 weeks of hunting. It's not impossible, it's not that far away. It's right there, just go and get it. You can have 70 fs, 70 shield skill and 50 weapon skill before your first month of prem on epic runs out. So please do NOT let the fear of "I'll be so far behind pvp wise" stop you from joining epic, you're not that far at all.

Hi,

a few questions that would come to my mind:

1. Is it reset sufficiently often to prevent the existence of a caste of invincible Ubers?
  2. Is there a way to just switch over when I have done my daily duties on the PvE servers?
  3. Does player skill really matter, instead of any fight just being a comparison in skill and gear numbers, juiced up a bit by an RNG?
  4. Is it, finally, real PvP (even playing grounds, balanced) or just another form of the usual Wurmian PK (time and money spent buys the victory)?

All PvP I ever have seen in Wurm wasn't PvP at all, it always was "more time/ money spent wins". A classical PK scenario, where it isn't about player skill, but about ganking "the poor". Those who have been there first, those who have had the time to grind for hours and hours, those who have the money to buy it, will win. This is no PvP, this is a strange derision of it, it's a PK system.

PvP is different, have a look at Quake, Unreal tournament, even Counterstrike. Maybe even the initial GuildWars.

The current Wurm "PvP imitation" doesn't attract me at all. It's not that I'd hate the idea as such, I have spent much to many hours PvP'ing - but I have no desire at all to come to a server where I'll be ganked without any chance to defend, where I will loose my gear at any death, where I'd need to spend weeks and weeks to not be the complete victim at all.

For Wurm PvP to get any serious numbers of participants, I think it would need to develop a PvP system at first. The current PK system only caters a few people, and is heavily repelling newcomers.

But since Rolf is hearing to his PK friends only I see not much hope.

Do your PK then without me, accept my honest best wishes.

Have fun!

The difference in Epic is that skills raise very fast 2x and also have a curve to extend the level of most of them.

ruleof70.png

Hi,

1. Is it reset sufficiently often to prevent the existence of a caste of invincible Ubers?
  2. Is there a way to just switch over when I have done my daily duties on the PvE servers?
  3. Does player skill really matter, instead of any fight just being a comparison in skill and gear numbers, juiced up a bit by an RNG?
  4. Is it, finally, real PvP (even playing grounds, balanced) or just another form of the usual Wurmian PK (time and money spent buys the victory)?

All PvP I ever have seen in Wurm wasn't PvP at all, it always was "more time/ money spent wins". A classical PK scenario, where it isn't about player skill, but about ganking "the poor". Those who have been there first, those who have had the time to grind for hours and hours, those who have the money to buy it, will win. This is no PvP, this is a strange derision of it, it's a PK system.

PvP is different, have a look at Quake, Unreal tournament, even Counterstrike. Maybe even the initial GuildWars.

The current Wurm "PvP imitation" doesn't attract me at all. It's not that I'd hate the idea as such, I have spent much to many hours PvP'ing - but I have no desire at all to come to a server where I'll be ganked without any chance to defend, where I will loose my gear at any death, where I'd need to spend weeks and weeks to not be the complete victim at all.

For Wurm PvP to get any serious numbers of participants, I think it would need to develop a PvP system at first. The current PK system only caters a few people, and is heavily repelling newcomers.

Have fun!

Epic is fun. You don't need to spend a lot of time training and if you have a good group of players to pvp with you wont die often. When you do die its nothing big your deed should be happy to re-arm you and send you back out to fight :) It is very even in my books. Most victories come down to organisation and planning. Organisation and numbers are more beneficial then skills and items.

Hi,

Have fun!

money wont buy you much on epic, since everyone has chain armor anyway, and it doesnt take long to grind skills. Time will always be a factor, but it is less of one on epic, since again, it doesnt take long to grind skills.

Hi,

I'll answer your questions, although with your obvious bias I doubt the answers will help you.

1. No. Rolf says no resets.

2. Yes. It's called an Epic Portal, but I'm sure you knew that already.

3. I don't know what an RNG is, but are you seriously asking if skills matter in a game where the focus is on grinding skills?

4. Again, I'm not sure what PK means, but about the only thing you can "buy" on Epic that might help you is a better enchant on a weapon. However, the curve typically takes care of that type of stuff.

Take it for what it's worth.