Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Time To Nudge Chaos

As far as Chaos goes it had its day and really I do not see anything other then complete wipes and restarting like Epic did to bring in more players who want fair and even up FFA PvP. Even then it wont last long because people will skill up and rule the Server eventually and people will not join simply because they do not want to spend the time skilling to PvP. You would need a complete wipe reset every month or so and players would have to know this.

This game is not for that sort of player then. This game appeals to a certain crowd and will not appeal to those who lack any patience whatsoever. Most of us here love this game, but do not like the games that appeal to your instant gratification players, which is why I play here and not some other game.

Players need to understand they can catch up, they assume that after years of playing everyone on Wild has incredibly high skills. Most are not constantly skilling up or have stopped grinding years ago. I am the only legally insane person I know going for 90 in every skill just because I have the option in this game.

We need better advertisement for wurm before opening more and more servers. Fill those we have now. Fix the issues first.

This is just a band-aid fix for lowering subscription numbers and will not fix the real problems. Find out WHY people left and fix those issues. Don't waste time setting up a new server, it will give you new subscriptions for only a few months at best, then the numbers will go down again.

What a terrible idea.

Stop using new servers to lure people back to the game, it only works for a few months until the hype of a new map dies down. That's why I haven't played for the past 8 or so months.

Your game is broken and stale Rolf, fix the current problems first.

No more bandaids, real solutions please.

View hidden Post
Posted · Hidden by KaiH, May 31, 2012 - quoted trolling
Hidden by KaiH, May 31, 2012 - quoted trolling

I don't think you all understand what Rolf is doing here. But I do so don't worry it is a great idea. It is a tool to better help understand the community of gamers I will not explain in any detail. You just need to trust Rolf on this Idea. It is def not to spread the low population thinner but in hopes of increasing it. There are many things you guys don't understand and I understand you don't cause you'll only looking at this from one view when there is another view behind it.

Just set tight and watch what is going to happen and in the months to come you will understand more of why he is doing this.

GTFO.

View hidden Post

I don't think you all understand what Rolf is doing here. But I do so don't worry it is a great idea. It is a tool to better help understand the community of gamers I will not explain in any detail. You just need to trust Rolf on this Idea. It is def not to spread the low population thinner but in hopes of increasing it. There are many things you guys don't understand and I understand you don't cause you'll only looking at this from one view when there is another view behind it.

Just set tight and watch what is going to happen and in the months to come you will understand more of why he is doing this.

All hail the hypnotoad.

You know you sound like a mad man when you say you've seen the light and everyone else is just to blind to see? If you have anything to say to back your "wisdom" then do so or stfo.

Clearly, this is our April Fool's joke, nearly 2 months late just to catch us unawares

Well I've wondered that too, it does read like an april fools joke.

Don't you LOVE it how all(Most, I mean) the newbs in this thread say that a new server will fix problems? Rolf, trying to GET players is not the one thing you should worry about. It's keeping those players, which, right now, you're not doing so great at.

• Like 1

I think it's gold. The feedback in this thread all points 1 way yet Rolf is pointing another way. Can we just roll the game back a few years to when wurm was fun? Before meditation, the religion updates, the numerous fighting tweaks oh wait how about just rerolling it to just after the fight fix. you know when wurm was simple and fun. Pre Rolf's "vision"?

Dying a very very slow death atm .. and it doesnt really need to :(

View hidden Post

If you understand so much then enlighten us. Otherwise you are just trying to pull a superior act on all the rest of us and you should just be quiet. Nothing more irritating than someone with a 'better than thou' attitude.

Rolf, perhaps it would help quiet the uproar if maybe you would explain your reason(s) for opening another Freedom server?

• Like 1

I'm fine with new servers. Not all players *want* to live in crowded area's - for them a new server south of exo (far-far away) will probably pull them back in. No-one says the existing players *have* to pack up and move, right? It's all about choices, the more the better i.m.o. (I think this will bring in more players, even if the first few weeks or months the existing playerbase may be spread a little thinner - new will come in to fill up for those who will move, besides I think not so many will feel the need to move to the newest server this time perhaps.)

Anyhow: no email about any new server here too, you sure you did send one on that Rolf?

Edited by Kianga

Attention

This thread has been cleaned.

Continued failure to abide by the forum rules could result in accounts being penalized.

Anyhow: no email about any new server here too, you sure you did send one on that Rolf?

I found it in the spam folder

Thanks for the cleanup, I really lost it yesterday.

Anyway if anyone can really explain why Rolf did this and why it is supposed to be anything but a very bad idea (preferably Rolf himself) Please elaborate.

Whats this achievement nonsense? Shortly before server down i got one of those "silver achievement" things... didn't flash very long so couldn't read it all, and dont know where to look it up? wtf is this...

You can open the achievements window with the main menu, press Escape to make it appear. In case you have really old key bindings, bind a key to MAIN_MENU (default is STOP_OR_MAIN_MENU on Escape).

I hear Rolf went ahead and opened the server anyways, regardless of all the negative feedback in this thread.

This is the only reaction that springs to my mind:

df939.jpg

You should really listen to the people putting money into your game, Rolf. You're not supposed to purposefully upset them.

In regards to the new server and whether I think it is a good or bad idea..... Good idea.

We need more land in PvE areas. I am no merchant or trader, so I have no temptation to ask Rolf to "confine" as many players as possible on each server just so I have more customers and my wallet gets fatter. That's real life stuff that belongs in the real world that has no wilderness left. I get the impression most players saying no for the new server on these forums just care about how many Players are on each server and whether they can sell widgets and sprockets or not. They want more players on each server because they think that means more profit.

This is supposed to be a Wilderness game where we can get chased down and eaten by wolves while starving to death.... but last couple years it just seems like a suburb of Detroit with too many McDonald's restaurants and lots and lots of deeds... but no one home at most of them. My own definition of "Wilderness" is land wild and free, with few "human" inhabitants.

We cannot do anything about the "no one home" part. We can do something about the "too many deeds" part. More land equals more potential "Wilderness".

More land is always welcome in my book. A new server helps in that. I put my real life money into Wurm to support Rolf providing more land ingame. Good job Rolf and Thank you.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 2

In regards to the new server and whether I think it is a good or bad idea..... Good idea.

We need more land in PvE areas. I am no merchant or trader, so I have no temptation to ask Rolf to "confine" as many players as possible on each server just so I have more customers and my wallet gets fatter. That's real life stuff that belongs in the real world that has no wilderness left. I get the impression most players saying no for the new server on these forums just care about how many Players are on each server and whether they can sell widgets and sprockets or not. They want more players on each server because they think that means more profit.

This is supposed to be a Wilderness game where we can get chased down and eaten by wolves while starving to death.... but last couple years it just seems like a suburb of Detroit with too many McDonald's restaurants and lots and lots of deeds... but no one home at most of them. My own definition of "Wilderness" is land wild and free, with few "human" inhabitants.

We cannot do anything about the "no one home" part. We can do something about the "too many deeds" part. More land equals more potential "Wilderness".

More land is always welcome in my book. A new server helps in that. I put my real life money into Wurm to support Rolf providing more land ingame. Good job Rolf and Thank you.

I agree

I really don't understand why people thought that by complaining, they would stop him launching Celebration. His email went out (to most people's spam box!) the day before the Celebration "go live" IMHO he did that on purpose so there was very little time to moan about it, to me, that was a clear indication that he was gonna release it whatever anyone says, but hey, I've been wrong before :)

Personally, I don't have a problem with new servers, the more the merrier. I visited Celebration yesterday and found a large number of total newbies, which surprised me, these are brand new players, not new alts. I understand the arguments about short-lived interest in new servers, and spreading the population, but the fact is what I saw was a fair number of new players, that has to be good, doesn't it ?

I really don't understand why people thought that by complaining, they would stop him launching Celebration

Where do you get the idea that anyone thought by complaining they would get Rolf to change his mind?

The fact that noone thought it was a good idea just shows that it was and still is a terrible idea to launch a new server.

But to get back to topic, there is no longer any reason to "nudge" Chaos. Rolf drove all the players that had any interest in coming back to Chaos away from the game.

Its time to just close it down permanently, because those players that would bring Chaos back to life, those players that are the only reason you are playing Wurm today, because when

Rolf came asking for money they helped him, those players have gone. They are fed up with bugs that never get fixed, updates that never get balanced, decisions that make no sense whatsoever,

other updates that have been promised for 5 years still being worked on around the corner.

I won't be around when the time comes to say "I told you so" but mark my words, Chaos will never succeed. Stop wasting more time with it..

Where do you get the idea that anyone thought by complaining they would get Rolf to change his mind?

The fact that noone thought it was a good idea just shows that it was and still is a terrible idea to launch a new server.

But to get back to topic, there is no longer any reason to "nudge" Chaos. Rolf drove all the players that had any interest in coming back to Chaos away from the game.

Its time to just close it down permanently, because those players that would bring Chaos back to life, those players that are the only reason you are playing Wurm today, because when

Rolf came asking for money they helped him, those players have gone. They are fed up with bugs that never get fixed, updates that never get balanced, decisions that make no sense whatsoever,

other updates that have been promised for 5 years still being worked on around the corner.

I won't be around when the time comes to say "I told you so" but mark my words, Chaos will never succeed. Stop wasting more time with it..

I fear this may all be true. I'm hoping, though, that if Rolf fixes Wild correctly that some of those players will come back. Currently, I've been sitting on Wild since the weekend before it was due to become PvP again... I understand the initial delay, with the website trouble and all.... What I don't understand is why Rolf is adding a new Freedom server before fixing Wild, adding acheivements, and seemingly a host of new updates.

I fear this may all be true. I'm hoping, though, that if Rolf fixes Wild correctly that some of those players will come back. Currently, I've been sitting on Wild since the weekend before it was due to become PvP again... I understand the initial delay, with the website trouble and all.... What I don't understand is why Rolf is adding a new Freedom server before fixing Wild, adding acheivements, and seemingly a host of new updates.

I will tell you why because in the end he makes money and can continue making Wurm which is exactly what any smart businessman would do.