Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Time To Nudge Chaos

Rolf, EAST OF DELI!! not south of exo

if they are ready to launch it tomorrow, i doubt there's time to change its location

I think you are right, but hope there is still a chance. south of exo is so far away for the indi peeps

we're opening a new Freedom server tomorrow for those of you who left because PvP is going to be more prevalent on the server.

not-sure-if-trolling-or-just-stupid.jpg

^ bwhahahaha that made me laugh so much.

On a serious note though, as long as Chaos is fixed, i couldnt give a duck if a new PvE server comes out.

Therefore, good job Rolf!

Edited by Redd

opening a new Freedom server tomorrow

Why don't you try to focus on fixing existing problems instead of adding more bandaids and pacifiers to keep your customers quiet?

[17:24:24] 10 other players are online. (408 totally in Wurm)

So, we need a new server for the chaos guys? :/

[17:24:24] 10 other players are online. (408 totally in Wurm)

So, we need a new server for the chaos guys? :/

I see your point fooli, but a PvE server wont matter so much.but a new PvP server that lots of people wants would be a disaster for chaos

Independence 129

Deliverance 95

Exodus 89

Chaos 10

I don't see how splitting the server population once more is wise? Its an accomplishment to have over 100 people active on a server at any one time, splitting it down isn't the best as your dividing the community that makes wurm in my opinion so great.

Wurm has always been about the community, and the economy. By splitting it down, you are weakening the community, and thus making the economy less strong.

In fact i dont even see one person here who is complaining about too little room o.O

I don't think is needed to open a new PvE server. There is enough place on other Freedom PvE Servers.

This would weigh even more on the economy of the other servers.

As a Chaos player, I ask Rolf: <<Please, tomorrow don't make a new server, but advertises Chaos with a video like when they were created Exodus and Deliverance.>>

In this way, I believe that many people might be interested to come and play on Chaos for trying pvp.

Maybe the global chat Idea will help those who think they need to talk with lots of people?? I do think a New server will only bring in more people in the long run though. Right now we just had a web attack that hurt as well as it is summer time and Diablo 3 just came out. making a New server is actually the only way to bring in newer players and bring back some of those that want to play on fresh lands.

But the problem is we've got tracts of deserted lands on indi/chaos. Opening a fresh server is the wrong way to go about things, it's big and shiny but in the end the same problems just happen there :(

As far as Chaos goes it had its day and really I do not see anything other then complete wipes and restarting like Epic did to bring in more players who want fair and even up FFA PvP. Even then it wont last long because people will skill up and rule the Server eventually and people will not join simply because they do not want to spend the time skilling to PvP. You would need a complete wipe reset every month or so and players would have to know this.

Edited by Uberknot

But the problem is we've got tracts of deserted lands on indi/chaos. Opening a fresh server is the wrong way to go about things, it's big and shiny but in the end the same problems just happen there :(

People like certain area's and on Indy most of those have been trashed or are taken up a New server will give some players a chance to start from scratch and virgin land and I think its always good to have that option. Right now is a lull and a New server might actually bring in a few more players. The newer Servers tend to be on the small side and actually make it easier for people to travel from place to place and see other people. Unlike Indy.....

When I heard a new server is opening, I was like ... "uhm, bad idea but whatever ... it's not the first time ...". Then I figured out it is going to be south of exodus ? Come on ... It doesn't need a Masters degree to figure out the idea is ludicrous ...

Nobody is going to join the new server. Exodus has still lots of free space. Deliverance has good land too. Since this new servers is going to be even further away from the center of the wurm world and since it offers ( ? ) nothing new feature wise, why would someone chose it over the current lands of opportunity ( deli,exodus ). He simply wouldn't.

Edited by Issle

The email from Rolf went straight into my spam folder, so if you haven't had it, I'd check there. Here is the text of what he sent :-

Dear Wurm players!

As you may be aware, Wurm was attacked by some nasty hacker who put his foul code on our web pages a few weeks ago.

This of course made some of our players nervous and some even believed their computers could be infected by the game client. Their anti virus software noticed that the client visited the hacked web pages and so the diligent anti-virus software gave (false) warnings. Our fine game client could however never infect any computer with anything bad.

Since then we've been very busy with making our web site safer, and now everything is hosted in new fresh environments. We even have a new fancy website design!

Now that all this website fuss is handled I will have my hands free to move on with progressive things like the Multi Storey buildings project. We are also releasing some interesting Achievement stuff tomorrow (designed by Wollschaf and Saroman) which keeps track of what you're doing in the game and dings pleasantly now and then.

All this means that it's time for Celebration, so we're opening a new Freedom server with that name tomorrow! Isn't that great?

The new server will be located on the south border of Exodus. The opening is scheduled at 15.00 hrs CET on the 31st of May and hopefully everything goes as smooth as I expect. Wish me luck!

Rolf

All this means that it's time for Celebration, so we're opening a new Freedom server with that name tomorrow! Isn't that great?

No its not great at all. Spreading the small population out even more? Since when is that great? Are you going to make a new server whenever you start losing subscribers? Maybe it would be a great idea to start hiring more people to work on the game and start fixing bugs that are here since years not making more servers. Unless this server is going to be the size of GV but then what is the point?

Maybe the global chat Idea will help those who think they need to talk with lots of people?? I do think a New server will only bring in more people in the long run though. Right now we just had a web attack that hurt as well as it is summer time and Diablo 3 just came out. making a New server is actually the only way to bring in newer players and bring back some of those that want to play on fresh lands.

I really like that when a new big game comes out suddenly everyone starts blaming that game for wurm not having many people. Its stupid no it has nothing to do with diablo or anything. Nobody plays it 24/7 for weeks. It has been out for 2 weeks now. Maybe summer time, exams sure

Edited by atazs

I don't think there is much to worry about. As stated, for those already established on the current servers there is little incentive to move. I think the appeal is for newer players like myself who have still not managed to get setup with a good coastal deed. I like to live like a hermit so I don't trade with others and thus the appeal of untouched land is great but the economy is not suffering in any way from me moving there as I don't buy anything anyway!

The only people who are likely to move are those who don't actively participate in the economy / community anyway so it should be a win-win.

I don't see the problem with another server. Let people spread out if they want. Those that want to cluster can cluster. But most everyone wants their own place and who wants a bunch of people tearing up the land around them. With more room, you won't have to deed way more land then you use to keep your suroundings they way they where and you picked the spot. putting prem tile around your deed is nearly pointless as it only stops people from building houses or ploping down deeds. It doesn't stop them from digging up the place, paving it over, clear cuting, minning right up to full deed tiles, etc. So give people room to spread out. gives people a reason to explore and travel.

Though it would be nice is we could load carts and animals onto ships so we can sail to other plands, then use horses/carts to explore and bring pets for protection if you have them. We need to be able to add/remove BSB's, BFB's, and animal holding pens to our ships.

I could care less about Freedom atm, but I don't see the need for any more servers when the ones we have can't stay up a solid 7 days.

This game is an MMORPG, not a SMORPG.

Just chill out folks, Chaos is gonna get a PVP overhaul and the care bears will have more playroom - all good

I hope (actually I don't care but lets just pretend that this didn't make me quit Wurm) that the new server consists of several small islands, no big land mass, so there are coastal spots for new players for a few months or so.

It won't do Wurm any good with tons of servers where all the coasts are over-settled, but with tons of free space in-land. It will just spread the community thinner and thinner until it withers away and dies, and all this new nonsense of "rare" items and achievements won't do any good.

BTW, there are plenty of good coastal posts on the existing servers, its littered with decayed deeds from people that became disillusioned with Wurm and quit the game. The community has been asking for increased decay for off-deed structures for a long time, might be a good idea to pay a bit of attention to them before its too late.

BTW, there are plenty of good coastal posts on the existing servers, its littered with decayed deeds from people that became disillusioned with Wurm and quit the game. The community has been asking for increased decay for off-deed structures for a long time, might be a good idea to pay a bit of attention to them before its too late.

Now incased decay for off deed stuff I agree with in a major way

um... the people who left Chaos due to it going full PvP did not come to Chaos because it was not PvP.

They left due to village draining. That is 'all'.

Took their investment back and ran. (Some quit, some joined a stronger alliance's deed.)

The vet's deeds that were disbanded was due to that "they liked the safety of having an unprotected deed".

Some even came just for the HotA, and deeded near it.

All of these reasons of disbanding are good and viable reasons for disbanding.

None of those reasons justify a new server. Unless the new server is partial PvP and HotA.

Edited by Kamikazifly