Sign in to follow this  
Rolf

Time To Nudge Chaos

I will tell you why because in the end he makes money and can continue making Wurm which is exactly what any smart businessman would do.

[22:11:19] 31 other players are online. (530 totally in Wurm)

But the total players hasn't changed... the only difference is old players are making some new deeds on a new server, that's about it. Possibly disbanding their old ones, but either way, there's no new influx of players.

Edited by MrGARY

[22:11:19] 31 other players are online. (530 totally in Wurm)

But the total players hasn't changed... the only difference is old players are making some new deeds on a new server, that's about it. Possibly disbanding their old ones, but either way, there's no new influx of players.

There are New and Old players going to Celebration and they will need Silvers or even Golds to make deeds and It helps the game in the long run. These New Servers are fresh lands for New and Old players to tame, conquer, shape and mold. I think fresh starts are one of the greatest assets Wurm has.

There are New and Old players going to Celebration and they will need Silvers or even Golds to make deeds and It helps the game in the long run. These New Servers are fresh lands for New and Old players to tame, conquer, shape and mold. I think fresh starts are one of the greatest assets Wurm has.

Fresh starts are great until it happens enough so its not so fresh anymore.

Fresh starts are great until it happens enough so its not so fresh anymore.

Nevah!!

The addition of celebration seems like a peace offering to the much larger freedom faction. But its not like in the recent past rolf had been delving into the hornets nest that is pvp mechanics but perhaps this is his prelude to a major chaos revamp or closure and/or itteration on the currently sagging epic home servers and neigh ghost town on elevation. We'll see.

[15:57:28] 35 other players are online. (748 totally in Wurm)

Daily more Players on Wild :rolleyes:

Are we dogs ? Because these new servers are like scraps to those that are wanting player versus player interaction on a more open arena. While I must commend you and your staff for thinking ahead with the release of Celebration, I am concerned for those that will be looking to Wurmonline as an alternative to their gaming experience in 5 years' time. I feel that, as a first point that this was put out too early, like a slab over a puddle. The solution is to advertise NOW if you wish to see these servers full. The hosting system is in place, the engine to create, modify and carry all this information is there so we are told via you blog, but still Wurm's fans only spread this game by word of their own opinionated mouths, and so often the information gets lost in a cascade of misinterpreted analysis of facts. The community, as I see it currently, are split between those that want pvp on chaos and those that don't care. You can unite them. You obviously have you own idea of what to do with the old bird that is Chaos, and most of us other old birds seem to understand that this momentous decision has to be in context with current financial and gaming trends. Wild can work , it has the player- base, it has the resources, it has the added bonus of history al;also..

Is your plan to close Chaos ? Surely you did not call Exodus that or Celebration or Deliverance their respective names for fun.

As an off-the-cuff reposte to my comment above regarding those servers, perhaps Exodus would make a good PvP server, with its regionalised ore deposits, it's geography and its size. Independence could be the totally non- pvp server, Deliverance could be the intermediate server, and Exodus could be the combat server where players fight over ores and other resources. Celebration could be the other end of the spectrum, with its animal placements and its map.

The consensus of this posting is, if you advertised your game, not only would you gain more players , but you would get more coders wanting to join your team, and as a result, Wurm can reallise its true potential.

• Like 1

As an off-the-cuff reposte to my comment above regarding those servers, perhaps Exodus would make a good PvP server, with its regionalised ore deposits, it's geography and its size. Independence could be the totally non- pvp server, Deliverance could be the intermediate server, and Exodus could be the combat server where players fight over ores and other resources. Celebration could be the other end of the spectrum, with its animal placements and its map.

Or how about you give it up and quit trying to bend all the people who enjoy PvE into PvP'ers? The vast majority of Wurms population lives on 4 PvE servers. You can argue that it's because of unresolved bugs, or poor combat animations, nerfs and whatever. Doesnt' change the fact a signifigant amount of people don't want to engage in combat with you, no matter how shiny you try to make it. Of the people who do crossover and do both, most seem to prefer living in the PvE servers and visiting Chaos once in a while rather than actually trying to settle there.

Frankly, the PvE'ers are keeping this game alive. People rush to the PvP for a while and then it dies off, PvE is a steady presence. We need more concentration on making PvE more enjoyable, not patches and bandaids to keep Chaos from bleeding out.

As for everyone complaining that we don't need a new server, it'll spread us too thin...

GOOD!

Fewer people per server means more open land to explore or hunt in. More aggro mobs, more livestock spawn. The only thing that matters is if Rolf's making enough money to keep the game going, and if he's comfortable adding a new server, then shut your faces and enjoy it!

I say give chaos its complete FFA and see what this does to the population. If you see the daily totals shoot up to say 100+ per day after a couple months then great, If the population stays in the 10's, 20's or even 30's you can say FFA and Total destruction PvP is not attractive to the types of people who play Wurm.

Heck I already know this for a fact, because working is a building game first and players come to explore, survive, and BUILD! I don't see many flocking to FFA HardCore PvP at all. I have said this as well before that losing everything on death when it takes time and effort to make or as in some cases hard earned cash to get and having your Creations destroyed is one of the main reasons people do not want to PvP. Players feel that way about most MMO's that involve effort and time.

Let me ask you something, what would happen if no one lost anything on death? right now people purchase items for 5s to not lose their items while PvPing. If players only lost one item on death that was selected by the people who killed them you would probably see more players PvPing and for sure MORE PvP.

I know.............. Wurm has to be HardCore PvP!!!!!

Perhaps it is time for a change to a type of PvP environment that draws more types of PvP players into combat??

Edited by Uberknot

Rolf you need to buy advertising. Its about the only thing that can help wurm. Most of the other ideas that were made didn't work out.

I'd rather 50 more players on each server then 2 story buildings any day...

I say give chaos its complete FFA and see what this does to the population. If you see the daily totals shoot up to say 100+ per day after a couple months then great, If the population stays in the 10's, 20's or even 30's you can say FFA and Total destruction PvP is not attractive to the types of people who play Wurm.

Heck I already know this for a fact, because working is a building game first and players come to explore, survive, and BUILD! I don't see many flocking to FFA HardCore PvP at all. I have said this as well before that losing everything on death when it takes time and effort to make or as in some cases hard earned cash to get and having your Creations destroyed is one of the main reasons people do not want to PvP. Players feel that way about most MMO's that involve effort and time.

Let me ask you something, what would happen if no one lost anything on death? Well right no people purchase items for 5s to not lose their items while PvPing. If players only lost one item on death that was selected by the people who killed them you would probably see more players PvPing and for sure MORE PvP.

I know.............. Wurm has to be HardCore PvP!!!!!

Perhaps it is time for a change to a type of PvP environment that draws more types of PvP players into combat??

All you do is troll these forums.... Half your suggestions make no sense.

There is not a single featue in Wurm that really works copletely, Advertising at this time could be counterproductive.

We, that play it now, know that it is no more than an open alpha and when we recommend it, we tend to mention that. (at least I do)

But when you openly Advertise you tend to give the impression that it is mostly ready for distribution.

You'll just get a lot of people to remember that Wurm is a kinda different but furthermost poor quality game.

When you loose on the first impression, you tend not to get the chance to give a second.

Seriously what is with the hostile attitude against Chaos? Tell me Freedomers, with Rolf obviously catering to the Freedom crowd, why is it necessary to kill off the ONE pvp server on the freedom cluster, effectively running off a whole server of players?

How would you feel if Chaos players said "xxx freedom server has too few players better shut it down"?

Not even gonna bother, I said everything I wanted to say on the previous thread that was locked by the mods. Just waiting to see what Rolf does with Chaos

Seriously what is with the hostile attitude against Chaos? Tell me Freedomers, with Rolf obviously catering to the Freedom crowd, why is it necessary to kill off the ONE pvp server on the freedom cluster, effectively running off a whole server of players?

How would you feel if Chaos players said "xxx freedom server has too few players better shut it down"?

I direct you here:
/>http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/62661-green-hatchling-spottedand-we-want-to-kill-it/

IMO due to non code seperation we have each side PVE vs PVP highly affected by server coding for either side. Then we have problems like taming etc :(

So an argument over one unique that you dont even know who really found it first, is why everyone asking for Chaos to be shut down has that opinion? Sounds more like butthurt, I wasn't even a part of that anyway. Try giving a real reason.

So an argument over one unique that you dont even know who really found it first, is why everyone asking for Chaos to be shut down has that opinion? Sounds more like butthurt, I wasn't even a part of that anyway. Try giving a real reason.

yeah, I'm sure you can write off any argument to your claim with childish words, but you asked what was with the hostile attitude towards Chaos and I gave you a perfectly legit example.

A legitamate example of what? This is the same crap that happened with Deli and Exo with people going over from Indy. Saying any specific group is "stealing uniques" is just laughable.

Cant wait for this fix on chaos!

Cant wait for this fix on chaos!

This ^

As for the other argument i point you to my response to that thread.

Hostile against Chaos because of a unique? Haha, come on...!

Hostility to Chaos? I don't believe so. Total antipathy perhaps. Frustration with a few who think turning Freedom into Chaos Home Servers or something, in a desperate hope that the slight gain in PvPer's would offset the rage quitting PvE'ers, totally.

Rolf catering to Freedomers? Hah! Good one.

Funny, I thought that was about 95% of the comments about Celebration and why we didn't need it.

Funny, I thought that was about 95% of the comments about Celebration and why we didn't need it.

We didn't need it, but once its open theres no going back. And if you look those comments were from EVERYBODY not just one segment of the playerbase.

whine whine bickering drama...etc.

no maek bla bla!

Rolf - Chaos needs new life, putting a focus on that server... +1.

just hope this action isn't entirely PVE... I'm all for a hybrid war system, or FFA.

Do this carefully, completely, and be deliberate. Don't create new windows of abuse, problematic systems... do the job right.

We'll all love ya for it... and have real cause for celebration.