Sign in to follow this  
Kristoff

Towing Boats

My suggestion is that if a player wants to, say, deliver a boat somewhere or recover one of his or her lost/misplaced boats, he or she could use a rope (possibly Rope, Thick Rope, Mooring Rope, etc.) while embarked on a sailboat or rowboat to 'tug' the vessel behind them.

The way I have it in mind is that this would only work for smaller boats such as rowboats and sailboats.

The player would have to OWN both boats before gaining a 'Tow' option upon right-clicking with a rope of some sorts activated while embarked on a boat he/she owns.

This would allow for Ship Builders to deliver their smaller vessels more reliably rather than having someone else follow you, asking for a ride back, or worse: walking back if at all possible. This also helps for people that own multiple boats whom meet an unfortunate end during a hunting trip or what have you. The player could ride his other boat there to at least tug the one he used in the first place home, otherwise he may have difficulties even getting back to the boat, let alone getting home with it after having needed a 2nd boat just to get there.

This is just my suggestion, and of course there are issues with the PVP aspect and whatnot. I would appreciate mature responses and opinions.

Thanks

+1!! Good idea!!

You could also tow a rowing boat behind and use it to get to shore if its too shallow ;)

There used to be a way i think to tow a sailboat behind a larger boat but I think they rmeoved it years ago.

There used to be a way i think to tow a sailboat behind a larger boat but I think they rmeoved it years ago.

Yes it used to be possible to tow boats, long ago. I vaguely recall doing so a few times.

How about a new kind of boat :) TUG BOAT!! also I think If you do allow this dragging it should slow the boat down.

Edited by Uberknot

I like the idea of towing one boat behind another with some ropes or something (a bit like leading horses i suppose). At the moment if i am delivering or collecting a boat it has to involve the use of an alt on the second boat (inevitably results in autosailing into a cliff somewhere), and then it can only be a rowboat :(

Love this idea.. towing a boat requires a certain amount of strength and slows the speed of the boat down. Passengers cannot tow only captains. You can only tow a smaller boat than the one your on unless they implemented say a tow boat as suggested above :D

Thoughts?

I remember you could drag boats behind your boat, no idea why it was removed though. +1

Bring it back. I am sure there is some exploit or pvp reason for removing it though.

A Towing boat or Tugboat would work just as well. However, would its only use be towing? Perhaps you could use the towing boat to push 'Large Rafts' (I recall Zcul's Twitter mentioning Large Rafts at some point?) in which you could load animals and whatnot.

My only concern is that there are enough boats in the game already that take so much time to create and this boat would only be useful for a few things, given what we've mentioned. If it could have a few more unique roles to fill while still getting it's intended job done that would be nice.

It'd have to do more things aside just being a tugboat. I like the animal idea, being able to load animals onto a tugboat would open endless oportunities. To balance, this could be a slow boat that prefers oars to sails, think of a Knarr except terribly slow. A heavy lifting barge that could tow any boat, but the weight of the towed vessel would directly affect the speed, and could also load animals for a very large speed penalty. Sadly I can't think of much ways to make it hardier. The 100 item limit makes the Corbita the biggest hauler with 100 rafts, anything extra can't be properly utilized, unless this new boat had some "secondary hold" that could store another 100 then it's hard to make a bigger cargo ship than the corbita.

It'd have to do more things aside just being a tugboat. I like the animal idea, being able to load animals onto a tugboat would open endless oportunities. To balance, this could be a slow boat that prefers oars to sails, think of a Knarr except terribly slow. A heavy lifting barge that could tow any boat, but the weight of the towed vessel would directly affect the speed, and could also load animals for a very large speed penalty. Sadly I can't think of much ways to make it hardier. The 100 item limit makes the Corbita the biggest hauler with 100 rafts, anything extra can't be properly utilized, unless this new boat had some "secondary hold" that could store another 100 then it's hard to make a bigger cargo ship than the corbita.

Rafts take up volume. Create cages to put animals in, and make them take up more volume than rafts. Then give large barges lots more volume (but still a 100 item cap) so they can hold lots more cages (and also trees, which have huge volume)

Edited by Farmerbob

It would be pretty nice for those ships found far adrift.

You have no idea how many times I have wanted to do this :)

+1

I think this could allow for many other uses besides towing a boat to use to get back after dropping off a boat somewhere. One example is being able to tow people in another boat in case there's not enough room on the first ship for additional passengers (if one of the passengers cannot sail themselves in the second boat). That's just one example.

Also, I really don't want to have to use an alt to be able to get back if I were to drop off a boat somewhere. I'm really not one for alts in games.