Sign in to follow this  
Mayrin

Diseased (The Condition) Vs. Diseased (The Illness)

I know this one has come up before, but I can't find the old thread on it. I don't know if it was shot down or just lost somewhere, so please let me know if I'm bringing up something that was purposefully left as is! It just came up in CA Help the other day, so I wanted to bring it up again.

There's a lot of confusion currently regarding diseased animals (particularly with new players). There's the condition diseased, and then the curable disease. Any time someone new to the game starts asking about curing animals, the first thing we have to figure out is whether the animal is actually sick, or just has the condition - which usually only serves to confuse the new player further.

It would be immeasurably helpful to rename one or the other - for example, replace the condition "diseased" with any of the following:

• sickly - not strong; unhealthy; ailing
  • weakened - made weak or weaker
  • feeble - physically weak, as from age or sickness; frail (removed feeble, as this could cause further confusion due to traits)
  • languid - lacking in vigor or vitality; slack or slow

...the list could go on and on. There are so many more applicable words to describe the condition than "diseased"!

Edited by Mayrin
  • Like 1

How can you tell the difference between these two when examining an animal, besides the colouring? Is the first letter of Diseased a capital D for the condition and a small d for the curable status?

Diseased - yellow-green, attack speed decreased, attack power decreased, stamina decreased

vs.

A disease can be caught by animals being poorly treated and then they may pass to other animals or players.

Also, just to confuse matters more:
/>http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Animal_husbandry#Traits

Examining an animal will show traits, if one has the required skill level:

33 skill: "It has some illness." (Usually unridable. Penalty to body strength)*

39 skill: "It looks feeble and unhealthy." (Prone to disease)* --> http://wurmpedia.com/index.php/Disease

So +1 to renaming the condition yellow-green diseased to something else like sickly, but not ill, feeble or unhealthy as those terms are already used.

How can you tell the difference between these two when examining an animal, besides the colouring? Is the first letter of Diseased a capital D for the condition and a small d for the curable status?

I'm honestly not even sure - I always help newbs identify them (and identify them myself) by the coloring. I don't have any diseased animals (of either type), so I can't provide any more info on that one. I'm fairly certain that the coloring is the only difference though.

So +1 to renaming the condition yellow-green diseased to something else like sickly, but not ill, feeble or unhealthy as those terms are already used.

Agreed! I'll change my initial post to reflect that - don't want to cause further confusion. Thanks for the additional input!

Definitely agree with the suggestion. Sickly or weakened should do ('Languid' is a difficult word to me atleast :P)

If I remember right, the suggestion in the earlier thread was not to rename diseased the illness, but rather rename diseased - the condition: suggestion was to change that to sallow, and I think that would be a fitting description:

www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/sallow

Definition of sallow : Sallow means unhealthy in appearance––often yellow in color––and is almost invariably used to describe someone's complexion.

Edited by Kianga

If I remember right, the suggestion in the earlier thread was not to rename diseased the illness, but rather rename diseased - the condition: suggestion was to change that to sallow, and I think that would be a fitting description:

That sounds about right. I'm pushing to have the condition renamed too; it seems like that should be much easier to implement than changing the illness. Sallow works too!