Sign in to follow this  
cmiddlebrook

How to build ships now

I'm not "spoiled and butthurt" -- I own waterfront property and now I have special buildings at sea level to deal with the change. It doesn't hurt me in the slightest bit to have it this new system -- the new system works just fine for me.  It hurts younger and newer players, which means it hurts the game itself, and it hurts people not lucky enough to "score" waterfront, which now becomes even more essential in the eyes of people looking for land.

A better system is something that is either realistic or suits gameplay, and preferably does both. Adding even more decaying 1x1 shacks all over the landscape suits neither one. 

Boat trailer rigs would be my suggested way to meld both gameplay and realism. Large carts were our "make believe" boat trailers but if they bothered some people, make something more logical. At least let rowboats continue to be built in large carts, as there is nothing unrealitic about that, and it is what most new players would be starting with.

* Xallo's suggestion below makes sense also.  I actually like seeing the really large ships being built outdoors, and something like that works much better than 1x1 shack-hacks.

I don't entirely understand how people are commenting about someone coming and ninja-attaching to their boat, although I do guess that it does make a difference if your unfinished boat is off-deed. I've always prioritized waterfront access for any deed I have ever had on Freedom, so perhaps my case is a bit biased. My best advice is to get a trusted alliance going with someone who has access to a dock and build your boat on their deed, enclosed behind a gate that you have access to. Maybe get a bit of community friendship going?

The next best thing that Rolf should do is only allow people on your friends, or people in your village, to attach to anything you create.

The next best thing that Rolf should do is only allow people on your friends, or people in your village, to attach to anything you create.

+1

Thanks for all the replies guys! My deed border is just a few tiles from the water and down there is already a dock area (undeeded) though it is not at water level. I certainly don't want to build those 1x1 shacks as I am also of the opinion that they are ugly! However, could I build a larger a structure, a 'boatyard', and then just knock out a single wall when the boat is done and push it through the gap in the wall? Would I even be able to bash down a single wall of a property off-deed that I built? And if so, would I get the 'bash bonus' like on deed or would I be bashing for hours?

Last i checked you can't push/pull through a house frame (even if it doesn't have a wall).

If you are able to drag the boat (weight, and being at water level) - you don't need to bash anything and can just get it through the door. Otherwise you will need to nuke the whole house AFAIK.

Point being, you are now having to go through a lot of previously unnecessary time consuming effort to build a ship in safety where it can not be ripped off by a person adding the final piece to it, who had nothing to do with any of the previous construction. This could be *resolved* by simply making ownership of the ship tied to the original creator upon completion; but nooooo, some nameless individuals complained about unfinished ships lying around being an "eyesore" in their area, so they lobbied for this change and are now living with the consequences that people are complaining about now.

=Ayes=

How would you prepose it be done then?  Boats are built near water.  They may be built on land but they're built near water.  As it is, I found a cog in a cart missing one peg, and it was stuck on a mountain.

EDIT: I'll also just say that this sounds like a lot of whining from spoiled people.  You see it in every game everywhere.  The game introduces a stop-gap measure, such as "you can store boats in carts because we don't have a better idea yet" or "skill gain is 3x during beta for testing purposes" or "armor only takes 1 bar to produce a whole breastplate while it should take 9, but we're doing this for tests".  People get spoiled on easymode and get butthurt when something rational comes along.

I know I'm offending someone and I know I'll get a slew of "you haven't been playing long enough to say that" but this is just what I see.  Old players who've become set in their ways and see any change as a step towards doom.

Your arguments get shot full of holes, so then you attack the people instead?

Several people have already mentioned what the realism is, which is not what the situation has changed to become.  Meanwhile, the players who actually care about the landscape will try to come up with aesthetically-pleasing work-arounds to yet another change thrust on us without reason or apparent request and without consideration of how to make it a robust and useful change.  At the same time, the larger number of players who just don't care will find any non-deeded piece of land to build their (hopefully) temporary 1x1 shack.

There will be complaints because the way boats are made is moving away from a maybe-illogical yet somewhat amusing situation to one that is even more illogical, more restrictive and as a bonus has potential for abuse.  We will adjust, as always.  We will also ask for the proper solution to be put in place, though the wall generally doesn't care how long we speak to it.

please the topic is "how to build ships now?" many of us would like to know.

Here are some questions. please we all want to know how to make a boat yard.

how many tiles should be the entrance?

Can a boat go thru any gate or only Palisades gate? I dont want large walls to make my shoreline ugly.

Can a boat go thru a double door to a house?

can you drag a boat thru unfinished house walls?

can a larger boat fit thru a 1 tile opening?

would a cave with cave door work as a boat yard?

can you pass thru a cave door while sailing a large ship?

If a boat is in a cave and it collapse on it. what happens to the boat?

Edited by Remington

I know most replies here are very old but I just don't get how everyone has this "destroy the house after your done" idea stuck in their head! Build the building at water level and you can simply drag it through the door.

Hopping in here to say; the new arched walls mean you can have something protected inside your building, and be able to push/pull/drag it through an opening (as I understand it from Zcul's thread).

That would solve your stolen boat problems.

• Like 1

It's illegal to bash fences that are part of an enclosure, so if you want to build it outside and have a 1x1 with a bed to sleep in at your shipbuilding enclosure, you can still do that too.

Edit: If you're living in the house you want to build the ship in, and have a bed in there, arched walls will make the building too drafty to sleep in. Something to be aware of.

Edited by Garis

OK, I did not know that! That's definitely good to know. Is the same true of fences? So can I put a couple of wooden fences with a lock up near the coast and build my boat in there?

Check the rules for how to protect stuff out of deed.

If you want to build a ship go to the water end of story. And I hope he disallows building ships inside houses as well.

If you want to build a ship go to the water end of story. And I hope he disallows building ships inside houses as well.

this is probably a big reason why so much coast line is deeded and so much space inland is still available

much ado about nothing .. As Wiro stated above, yes u can build in a shack, and then DRAG the completed ship out the door as long as u are close enough to water level ... no need to destroy the building.

Not to say littering the shoreline w loads of ship building shacks is in anyway desirable, but it is the safest most secure way to do it now.

I don't entirely understand how people are commenting about someone coming and ninja-attaching to their boat, although I do guess that it does make a difference if your unfinished boat is off-deed. I've always prioritized waterfront access for any deed I have ever had on Freedom, so perhaps my case is a bit biased. My best advice is to get a trusted alliance going with someone who has access to a dock and build your boat on their deed, enclosed behind a gate that you have access to. Maybe get a bit of community friendship going?

See this is how we should move forward. Instead of asking to build ships in carts again, lets just fix it right. Ships/Large Carts should have writs like houses. Slap 2 keels/small axle+plank together and bam writ in inventory. This would also allow us to choose which of the many people on our friends lists we would like to have access to work on it and use it afterward. Solves several issues the current system currently has now with such limited permissions.

• Like 2

See this is how we should move forward. Instead of asking to build ships in carts again, lets just fix it right. Ships/Large Carts should have writs like houses. Slap 2 keels/small axle+plank together and bam writ in inventory. This would also allow us to choose which of the many people on our friends lists we would like to have access to work on it and use it afterward. Solves several issues the current system currently has now with such limited permissions.

A writ for each ship/cart? My inventory couldn't handle it!

A writ for each ship/cart? My inventory couldn't handle it!

Sure it would. Ive got tons of writs alreay in a satchel whats a few more. I would gladly take a few more for the boats and carts if it means we can expand their roles and permissions. Ideally we should have a seperate window to hold writs that we can label and categorize them in, so see this could bring about yet more game advancement without having to build things in a cart. lets push for advancement not continually wanting to go back to broken methods.

• Like 1

name='Evilvision' timestamp='1343833005' post='641068']

Lets push for advancement not continually wanting to go back to broken methods.

can be set under half the topics on this forum

• Like 1

Sure it would. Ive got tons of writs alreay in a satchel whats a few more. I would gladly take a few more for the boats and carts if it means we can expand their roles and permissions. Ideally we should have a seperate window to hold writs that we can label and categorize them in, so see this could bring about yet more game advancement without having to build things in a cart. lets push for advancement not continually wanting to go back to broken methods.

Great Idea!!

I can see a book that we can make out of leather and paper that would hold all our writs in one bookbinding.

I build mine on deed, nobody can finish your ship for you if you have deed permissions set correctly.

I use a cave shipyard which is super convenient for me but any kind of canal from your deed to a body of water works wonders.

That's quite a bit of effort for a boat, no? I don't think one should be limited on their boat creation due to deed placement or required to build a canal or enclosure, which can also be viewed as a broken mechanic. There really needs to be some form of ownership over unfinished boats as suggested. +1

That's quite a bit of effort for a boat, no? I don't think one should be limited on their boat creation due to deed placement or required to build a canal or enclosure, which can also be viewed as a broken mechanic. There really needs to be some form of ownership over unfinished boats as suggested. +1

This is neither a suggestion thread or a suggestion forum. I was responding to the OP who asked what the best way to make a boat now was, and whether making one on-deed was safe.

And yes, it's a lot of work to build a shipyard to build boats. It's also a lot of work to get the shipbuilding and woodcutting skills necessary to build them, and a lot of work to build the boat itself... boats are a lot of work :)

Regarding writs for boats in general, probably a good idea for the long term, sounds good to me.