Sign in to follow this  
Calimdor

Hell Hounds

The other day one gave me a severe and two medium head wounds in 1 second. Granted, I'm neither a leet fighter nor wearing uber armour, but that's a bit ridiculous.

After hunting all day, all I can say why is there only five animals in this game: hell hounds, spiders, unicorns, hell horses, and dogs. Also more to the subject hell animals are way to over spawned.

Have to admit, went for a run to FM the other day to help a friend get his alt into the village, was chased all the way by hell hounds, my friend was killed by them coming the other way before I could get the village invite sent. There are just far too many of them, at first it was kind of exciting and dangerous which added to the experience but the other day was just excessive.

The reason you see them in numbers higher than you'd like to is because people avoid them instead of killing them. The players who avoid them are the ones causing the problem not the hell hounds themselves.

Hi,

The reason you see them in numbers higher than you'd like to is because people avoid them instead of killing them. The players who avoid them are the ones causing the problem not the hell hounds themselves.

I'd not say so. The reason why we have this many is a borked spawn mechanism IMHO, as clearly to recognize by the the immense spawns of Unicorns and dogs, too.

There is no balanced spawn anymore at all, and this problem should get solved asap, IMHO.

Have fun!

PS: If it makes sense at all to confront new players with such monsters, and if this adds to the Prem rate is another topic. When I started Wurm, bears was the most dangerous creature in newbie land. I doubt I'd be here today if I had been surrounded by spiders, hell hounds and similar, as the newbies now.

I remember when it was spiders on the road that was the problem requireing guard towers every so often. These new hounds seem harder then spiders. At least the one that showed at my place.

Well, I'm new (three days!) and I've already been killed by unkillable spiders and hellhounds. The hellhound in particular, I see it and suddenly it blinks from where it is to half the distance away from me. At that point I turn and run but I'm dead inside ten seconds and back at Green Dog with nothing.

Nice, very nice. Blah :P

To the 'suck it up princess' crowd, a little sympathy to the new kids, okay? I have a mallet and a carving knife. I'm wearing the rags I dropped into Green Dog with. It would be kind of nice *to be able to get away*, you know? At least the chance of it, the faintest breath of hope.

With some good weapons and armour they're easy for me at 30FS. I don't see what the problem is :P

The way I put it: a spider, if it chases you proper, will kill you unless you can fight. A hell hound, if it chases you proper, will also kill you unless you can fight. The solution = learn to fight and ride horses. Wurm has to keep some difficulty, I lived next to Exo's Red Dragon for a month and didn't die to it once... though I did have to hide in a mine for hours one day x)

The problem is that HH aggro from so far away it's not easy to see them until their rocketing towards you. I suggest cutting their aggro range in half for starters :)

I have no problem killing them. Maybe their aggro range is huge yes that needs fixed but if you are having problem killing one at 70fs then you are doing something wrong. Start using a horse.

new players don't have 30 FS and it takes time to get that kind of skill.

Not true where I am. They spawn continuously. There are way too many of them, and they need to be toned down.

Edited by alicia

They don't go into water. There's your amazing escape.

Don't know if it is just a regional problem but we have hell-hounds all over and the worst thing most of them are starving .. (with ql 70 chain armor an 40fs no chance against them and since they love to kill horses (which happens in seconds) it is almost impossible to leave the town to hunt a bit ...) Ah and I will invite all the people who say they are easy with 30fs to kill them to our deed and care about the aged venerable or whatever starving hell hounds ... really wanna see how thy manage that ...

Edited by Calimdor

Speaking of overkill aggro ranges... drakespirits ever get nerfed? Havent come across any of late to check.

Last one chased me back and forth across Serenity's map twice till I figured out its aggro range... Well outside of rendering. Fortunately I had recently stolen a sailboat at the time, and the winds were up! :wub:

Edited by Klaa

Kill them? No, we can not. We simply do not have the FS to do so. I doubt many players on the Indy servers do have enough skill to defeat them on a regular basis. Kill one or two yes, but not true all day hunting of them. Hell Hounds are too fast, bite too hard, and aggro from too far away. They deserve their name no doubt.

And NO I will not spend all day in Wurm attempting to get my FS up. I don't spend hardly any time fighting in Wurm because Wurm's Fight System sucks in my opinion. Period. I hate the combat system in Wurm. I hate the Character graphics in Wurm. Together these two areas result in an unenjoyable system for fighting in Wurm in my opinion. If I want to fight for fun I go play Skyrim, or VG, or anything else but Wurm. Sorry but as far as I am concerned that is the sad truth of it. I spend several hours each week playing Skyrim because it's combat system is great and enjoyable. I don't spend hardly 10 minutes a week in combat in Wurm.

Overpowered Hellhounds is not a fix for problems with Wurm's combat system and why people don't use it. If anything Hellhounds are a reason why we should avoid combat even more. There are many, many more enjoyable things to do in Wurm that are designed much better. Telling people to go out and fight and die and loose more FS isn't helping either. I tried that approach and it's a waste of time and skill gain.

Edited by Kyrmius
  • Like 1

I find it ironic I can't focus up vs a HH when I have little trouble focusing vs a troll. Every time a hh "irritates me" I lose focus level. They can attack 3x a second. yeah....

Hellhounds, another one of Rolfs overdone aggro mob AI mistakes that he now can't spend the time to recode properly, defended by people who care little about anyone elses FS abilities than their own. Personally I can kill them if I have my armor on and even my alt can when armored and on foot but that dosen't change the fact that they have an excessive aggro range and pursuit range which is way overdone for new players and low FS players who are not wearing some good QL armor.

Another thing is, even longer term players who are builders and crafters do not wear their armor (unless they have the expensive drake type armor) when dragging carts around to do their various pursuits since this slows them down drastically, so if they are doing so and attacked by these improperly coded hellhounds, they will have a hard time escaping with their lives as well. The solution is plain to see, Rolf needs to recode them to make them spawn much less often than other aggro mobs, reduce their aggro range and make them be able to be outrun just the same as the slower aggro mobs. Leave them as a challenge for those who WANT to fight them and make them avoidable by those who do NOT want to fight them. Doh!

=Ayes=

If they are such an issue, keep the hell and valrei creatures as Epic only (Chaos too maybe). Thus players that want to deal with overpowered mobs can do so, while Freedom players are free to go about.

Though nothing to me one way or another personally. Pve holds little challenge for a long time Wild denizen.

Edited by Klaa
  • Like 2

Think reducing the aggro range is the best way to solve the problem even when I would prefer Klaa"s suggestion :). I rather prefer 10 trolls around our deeds then 1 HH :)

Ignore anything i said before in this thread about hell hounds. They are indeed strong and i had some trouble killing them on a horse in full chain with 70fs and supreme 81ql longsword

Maybe they should only be aggressive to people with 50+ FS or something? That way older players still get the challenge, and newer players don't have to worry about them (just all the other stuff that can kill them).

• Like 5

Maybe they should only be aggressive to people with 50+ FS or something? That way older players still get the challenge, and newer players don't have to worry about them (just all the other stuff that can kill them).

Brilliant idea!

Ignore anything i said before in this thread about hell hounds. They are indeed strong and i had some trouble killing them on a horse in full chain with 70fs and supreme 81ql longsword

Made my day :) and still waiting for someone too clean the endless amount of venerable old aged starving hell hounds (made a trip behind our mining deed and saw around 8 roaming there all starving :) ) Edited by Calimdor