Sign in to follow this  
Taxton

Any clue what time period Wurm takes place during?

I'm wondering because I'd like to have a water pump for indoor wells.

I was first thinking about something like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pump-tah.jpg

apparently this sort of style was invented in ancient egypt.

but then I saw this and I liked it more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mariembourg_JPG02.jpg

but I'm thinking that this sort of technology wouldn't have been available till the 1600's, maybe a bit earlier.

Has anyone determined what time period wurm takes place during?

as far as im aware wurm is the start of time, so it kinda has its own time frame... if you matched current items etc though things like this would/should be possible

Archimedean Screw

As the name suggests, invented by Archimedes in ancient Greece. Doesn't matter what time Wurm is set in, P sure it would be after the Bronze age, seeing as we have steel.

Just fyi, if there is a water source tile in your home you can build a well or fountain on top of it.

wurm takes place in the future.

contrary to popular opinion its a post apocalyptic world many years after a massive nuclear war.

Proof of this is right in the game with all the obvious effects of longterm radiation exposure:

oversized animals, oddly colored animals, all humans look the same, evil humans became trolls and goblins, and the seasons are shorter.

Icecaps melted due to increased atmospheric change from the nucluear fallout, oceans rose, and only a few islands remaining.

thankfully its been long enough since the devastation that trees and grass have been able to flourish.

rolf will confirm this.  just you wait and see

i remember reading somewhere its based about 1016,    i cant remember where and cant find it here, so was prob just kchat on exo, over the last few months.

i remember reading somewhere its based about 1016,    i cant remember where and cant find it here, so was prob just kchat on exo, over the last few months.

Probably got that from /time, but we've been told Wurm years have nothing to do with IRL time periods

wurm takes place in the future.

contrary to popular opinion its a post apocalyptic world many years after a massive nuclear war.

Proof of this is right in the game with all the obvious effects of longterm radiation exposure:

oversized animals, oddly colored animals, all humans look the same, evil humans became trolls and goblins, and the seasons are shorter.

Icecaps melted due to increased atmospheric change from the nucluear fallout, oceans rose, and only a few islands remaining.

thankfully its been long enough since the devastation that trees and grass have been able to flourish.

rolf will confirm this.  just you wait and see

Ya know, he's got a point. 

This is basically 100, maybe a thousand years after the Fallout games.

Sadly with less BOS tech.

Wurm does not take place during any specific Earth-time, it has its own timeline. In order to determine what technology is applicable to Wurm we have to compare it with the complexity of what we currently have, which varies to say the least (we have huge ships and catapults but not ballistae, for example). We also need to look at the style of Wurm's fantasy setting and determine if a proposed item/technology seems to fit into the scenario. Mechanical contraptions with multiple moving parts, in my opinion, do not.

We also need to look at the style of Wurm's fantasy setting and determine if a proposed item/technology seems to fit into the scenario. Mechanical contraptions with multiple moving parts, in my opinion, do not.

^  yea. But you can build a well in your house, that should work fine.

**WARNING!! Historical Content** ::)

Based on the technologies already displayed in Wurm, the game is set at around 1100AD. By this time in Europe castles were migrating further towards using stone walls, and more specifically tall ones - of which stone is very commonly used as a building material in Wurm.

Also reflecting on time period are ships. The cog was a ship used widely from the 12th century onwards, fitting in with the 1100AD model. Caravels were used by the Portugese in the 15th and 16th centuries - although this is a long way away from the 12th century, I think the game simply used the name "caravel" as the real thing looks nothing like the in-game models nor is the specification of an in-game caravel similar to a real life one.

Gunpowder is totally not involved in Wurm. It did not appear much in Europe until 1300AD, 200 years after our magic 1100AD. The lack of black powder in any form is more evidence suggesting that Wurm's year 1000AT is Europe's 1100AD. In reality, I imagine that Rolf originally said that 1000AT = 1000AD for simplicity's sake - although over the years new game features have bent that original timescale.

As for indoor wells... maybe :-/