Sign in to follow this  
CoinLab

Coinlab Faq: How To Earn Silver Coins With Your Graphics Card

Thank you for forcing me to change my old mainboard and bonked my vga's fan. Well appreciated.

I've been running for a few hours on some Tesla M2050's. Using the old client as the new one crashes every 10 seconds. I have 2 of the cards in each server, spread across 5 servers. The rate seems to be quite low for what it's running on (only 50 iron / hour on each card) The client picks them up and lists them fine:

xmZxdA1.png

Is it just down to the hardware being inefficient at what ever hashing you're doing in the background or have I got something set up wrong?

(Just to clarify ahead of time, I didn't buy those purposely for mining, the just happen to be unused for a couple of weeks.)

lol yes, legal and you wont be banned. Its actually a program that is through wurm and this company to make you money in game =D

lol yes, legal and you wont be banned. Its actually a program that is through wurm and this company to make you money in game =D

Although well known hackers use the program to funnel money through as it's hard to trace, probably some companies too, so for me not something I'm generally interested in.

also deathly ghost you need a very powerful pc and it probably won't make enough to cover the cost of the electric it uses lol.

but each to their own I guess..

I've been running for a few hours on some Tesla M2050's. Using the old client as the new one crashes every 10 seconds. I have 2 of the cards in each server, spread across 5 servers. The rate seems to be quite low for what it's running on (only 50 iron / hour on each card) The client picks them up and lists them fine:

xmZxdA1.png

Is it just down to the hardware being inefficient at what ever hashing you're doing in the background or have I got something set up wrong?

(Just to clarify ahead of time, I didn't buy those purposely for mining, the just happen to be unused for a couple of weeks.)

Nvidia GPUs run much slower than ATIs. More info here: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Why_a_GPU_mines_faster_than_a_CPU#Why_are_AMD_GPUs_faster_than_Nvidia_GPUs.3F

I already have a dedicated bitcoin rig working with another pool, question is will I see similar returns with your pool (smaller/larger) then I do with their to make it worth switching. Guess cant hurt to try it out for a few days.

Are you paying a set rate, or are you increasing/decreasing share price based on bitcoin market rates?

I already have a dedicated bitcoin rig working with another pool, question is will I see similar returns with your pool (smaller/larger) then I do with their to make it worth switching. Guess cant hurt to try it out for a few days.

Are you paying a set rate, or are you increasing/decreasing share price based on bitcoin market rates?

You will see similar returns with our pool. We adjust the share price based on the last Mt Gox 24 hr weighted average price.

Can you post the curre

You will see similar returns with our pool. We adjust the share price based on the last Mt Gox 24 hr weighted average price.

Can you post the current connection information if we want to use our current BTC client, its already setup for my cards. I tried some I found earlier in thread but it would not connect

*EDIT*

Never mind I got it to work by updating my client to latest version, both cards working >90% again... thanks!

Edited by Saledo

You guys might want to work on your client a bit more, by switching to my usual bitcoin miner, it has almost doubled my MH/s

You guys might want to work on your client a bit more, by switching to my usual bitcoin miner, it has almost doubled my MH/s

Our mining engine was developed by Con Colivas developer of cgminer. The reason you may be seeing a speed difference is due to our engine being a bit nicer to the user. A standard bitcoin client is very aggressive, sucking up all available power, which greatly reduces your computer's performance while you are using it. Ours tries to only use spare computing power, so it backs off when the user wants to use the GPU for something else.

I can understand a few percent, but I'd be very surprised if your speed doubled. When you were running our client, did you set the speed setting to turbo and leave it idle? A good way to do a side by side comparison would be to run start our client, leave the computer idle for an hour. Then turn off ours, and run your other mining client for an hour. Then check out the graph on your stats page at http://pool.coinlab....s/wurm/stats.

Also, where were your getting your MH/s number from? The big number at the top of your stats page is calculated through a 30 minute exponential decay algorithm, so if you haven't run the client in a while, it will take 30 minutes before it is accurate. Also, it is calculated through your share rate because the client does not send speed data to the server. As a result, there is a fair amount of variance depending on your hash rate.

Edited by CoinLab

Also, where were your getting your MH/s number from? The big number at the top of your stats page is calculated through a 30 minute exponential decay algorithm, so if you haven't run the client in a while, it will take 30 minutes before it is accurate. Also, it is calculated through your share rate because the client does not send speed data to the server. As a result, there is a fair amount of variance depending on your hash rate.

Circle in Red is your client, Circle in Blue is Bitcoin Gui Client

Yours was run on turbo, and it is a dedicated bitcoin rig I keep in basement with two 6870s, this was from your graph and it was run for several hours as you can see. The drop in the middle of the blue was a drop in connection from one of the workers.

bitcoin.png

Edited by Saledo

Circle in Red is your client, Circle in Blue is Bitcoin Gui Client

Yours was run on turbo, and it is a dedicated bitcoin rig I keep in basement with two 6870s, this was from your graph and it was run for several hours as you can see. The drop in the middle of the blue was a drop in connection from one of the workers.

Interesting. I did see that graph, but I assumed it wasn't running on turbo. We have a 7970 which runs our client at around 520 MH/s and cgminer at 550 MH/s, so although there may be a slight difference in kernel efficiency from one card to another it will not be a factor of two.

It looks like it's only one card even though our client can utilize an arbitrary number of cards granted they are all talking to the OS. Are you running GUI Client on Windows as well? Are your cards crossfired?

Those drops to zero in the graph are caused by your machine not finding a share in a generation. It happens when you get a combination of a really fast generation and bad luck.

Interesting. I did see that graph, but I assumed it wasn't running on turbo. We have a 7970 which runs our client at around 520 MH/s and cgminer at 550 MH/s, so although there may be a slight difference in kernel efficiency from one card to another it will not be a factor of two.

It looks like it's only one card even though our client can utilize an arbitrary number of cards granted they are all talking to the OS. Are you running GUI Client on Windows as well? Are your cards crossfired?

Those drops to zero in the graph are caused by your machine not finding a share in a generation. It happens when you get a combination of a really fast generation and bad luck.

Both miners were run on Windows 7 64-bit, and no they are not crossfired.

From looking at the card usage your miner was using both cards but would never really go over ~80% usage for both and the hash rate seemed low for using even that much. The only other difference is I set some custom flags for my cards that I know boost performance, from the top of my head I believe -v 19 -w 128, maybe in the advanced setting allowing those who know how to add flags the ability to.

Hi i've been running this for a couple of hour's now, speed is fluctuating between 5 and 30, which in itself is fine, my friend gets only a little more.

the trouble i'm having is that none of the processing i'm doing is being counted, or even sent from the client. so in the end up earning nothing:

rli6vxt.png

We went through my settings, the client is set to turbo (i did have it on fast same as him). my windows firewall is set to allow it. I've tried the old client.. that was rubbish and only used my CPU and wasn't able to process fast enough to qualify for rewards.

i'm using AVG which isn't the cause, as i turned it off and waited a fair while for anything to change, which alas it didn't.

edit: i've also tried connecting with just a username of exelsiar, and the username and minerid (what ever that is) as exelsiar, both give exactly the same results in all regards.

also it says 'Connecting to compute pool...' and i believe is just failing to connect to that.

edit2: after reading other posts i figure the log file might be helpfull
/>http://pastebin.com/f8qpy29S

Edited by exelsiar

Ok so after, what 8 hours? i've managed to get 3 payment ticks, amounting to 2.8 iron..

i've re-installed it to fix an error saying this file didn't exist:

'C:\\Users\\exelsiar/coinlab-client.pid'

that error is gone, but everything else is the same.

edit: just for good measure here's a second log file:
/>http://pastebin.com/qicvbxMT

Edited by exelsiar

Would be nice if there would be 2 different ports used by your software, so the user could choose between the ports trough the configuration ports. ATM, if the user has another software on his computer which uses port 9999, your software is useless...which is in fact happening on some of my machines.

Ok so after, what 8 hours? i've managed to get 3 payment ticks, amounting to 2.8 iron..

i've re-installed it to fix an error saying this file didn't exist:

'C:\\Users\\exelsiar/coinlab-client.pid'

that error is gone, but everything else is the same.

edit: just for good measure here's a second log file:

http://pastebin.com/qicvbxMT

From you stats page it looks like you've earned 80 iron. What kind of graphics card do you have? You log file shows that you have an intermittent connection, but if you've earned shares then you are eventually getting through. How is the quality of your internet connection? Do you get dropped from online games sometimes? Do you connect to the internet through a medium, eg firewall (hardware or software), proxy, vpn? Do you have any other software services running on port 9999?

You should try the steps below to run it on a different port, like 9998.

Would be nice if there would be 2 different ports used by your software, so the user could choose between the ports trough the configuration ports. ATM, if the user has another software on his computer which uses port 9999, your software is useless...which is in fact happening on some of my machines.

That's a good point. These steps might actually be useful to you exelsiar and anyone else who is still having issues connecting to the pool.

There is a way to get it on a different port, but it isn't all that pretty. Open your client.conf file in notepad, found at C:/Users/[yourusernamehere]/AppData/Local/Coinlab/wurm-compute/client.conf. Note that AppData is a hidden folder. Add an extra line to the end of the file like so:

host_port = 9998

Replace 9998 with whatever you want. Unfortunately the window is hardcoded for 9999, so you will have to navigate to localhost:9998 using Chrome, Firefox, or IE.

New version released! Your client should auto-update within the hour, or if you're getting antsy, you can download it here. Minor engine tweak, some of you may see higher speeds.

Exelsiar and Davatar:

Whenever a new version comes out, the client.conf file is cleared in the installation, so you will have to add the host_port = 9998 line after the update.

My miner was working fine before it automatically did an update. I uninstalled everything then reinstalled. I'm getting these 3 messages in the log file...

[W 130207 11:50:57 iostream:403] Read error on 732: [Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
[W 130207 11:50:57 iostream:341] error on read
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "tornado\iostream.pyc", line 336, in _handle_read
File "tornado\iostream.pyc", line 399, in _read_to_buffer
File "tornado\iostream.pyc", line 380, in _read_from_socket
error: [Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
[E 130207 11:50:56 compute_work:204] Invalid nonce - difficulty only 0.00000.
[W 130207 11:50:56 compute_work:217] Did not get credit for work.

The auto updater should be removed, or at least a way disable the auto update.

My miner was working fine before it automatically did an update. I uninstalled everything then reinstalled. I'm getting these 3 messages in the log file...

[W 130207 11:50:57 iostream:403] Read error on 732: [Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
[W 130207 11:50:57 iostream:341] error on read
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "tornado\iostream.pyc", line 336, in _handle_read
File "tornado\iostream.pyc", line 399, in _read_to_buffer
File "tornado\iostream.pyc", line 380, in _read_from_socket
error: [Errno 10054] An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
[E 130207 11:50:56 compute_work:204] Invalid nonce - difficulty only 0.00000.
[W 130207 11:50:56 compute_work:217] Did not get credit for work.

The auto updater should be removed, or at least a way disable the auto update.

The change I made is completely unrelated to anything that would cause that error. But, if the issue does not resolve itself within a reasonable amount of time, you can revert to an old version and disable the auto-update.

If the program is running, close the window, and either wait 30 seconds, or open the task manager and kill coinlabcompute.exe and coinlabengine.exe.

Install an old version of the client http://media.coinlab.com/clients/wurm-02.00.13.exe

Now, change your client.conf file located at C:/Users/[yourusernamehere]/AppData/Local/Coinlab/wurm-compute/client.conf. Note that AppData is a hidden folder.

Add a line at the end of that file like this:

update_check_interval = 9999999999

About the port changing issue, it looks like changing the port from 9999 to something else will probably not do anything. The port conflict is between the local server and the compute engine.

The only way to remedy this issue is making sure that no other local service is using port 1338. An easy way to do this is to perform a clean boot. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

Unfortunately about 70.5 of that iron was via my friends desktop pc as he wanted to verify whether i'd set my account up correctly.

My GFX is NVIDIA GeForce 210. I usually have a pretty good connection to games, most disconnects are from the games end. My connection is 20MB.

Only firewall i have is the built in one on windows 7, and that's set to allow for home connections. (just went through and made certain everything is a copy of his settings, still no change :( )

The port 9999 is visable via http://www.canyouseeme.org/ only when the coinlab is open. When coinlab is closed it just times out, leading me to believe its not being blocked by my ISP, nor being used by anything else.

where on earth did your mentioning of port 1338 come from? :s i thought it was only 9999 it used?

Unfortunately about 70.5 of that iron was via my friends desktop pc as he wanted to verify whether i'd set my account up correctly.

My GFX is NVIDIA GeForce 210. I usually have a pretty good connection to games, most disconnects are from the games end. My connection is 20MB.

Only firewall i have is the built in one on windows 7, and that's set to allow for home connections. (just went through and made certain everything is a copy of his settings, still no change :( )

The port 9999 is visable via http://www.canyouseeme.org/ only when the coinlab is open. When coinlab is closed it just times out, leading me to believe its not being blocked by my ISP, nor being used by anything else.

where on earth did your mentioning of port 1338 come from? :s i thought it was only 9999 it used?

We have 3 services. Coinlabcompute.exe is a local server which manages everything. Coinlabwindow.exe is a dumb window which simply displays what compute is doing. Coinlabengine.exe is where the actual bitcoin mining happens. Compute gets the work from Coinlab's servers, parses it and sends it to the engine. Whenever the engine finds something it sends it to Compute to report back. The engine and compute communicate on 1338, and unfortunately changing which port that happens on would require recompiling the engine.