Sign in to follow this  
Stargrace

Patch Notes: May 4th 2012

There are no more free disbands on the Chaos server. The settlements who wanted to leave should have done so by now. It's possible to abuse free disbands to a certain extent which is why these windows are to be kept as small as possible.

A bug when disbanding the alliance capital was fixed.

Destroying foreign large carts and boats are no longer possible by the mayor of a settlement.

A client memory leak has been fixed.

Saw and fishing skillgain speed was increased a bit.

Saw skill buff...... REALY??

>.>

Live or die, make your choice. hahahahhaha

The_Saw_Puppet.jpg

Saw skill buff...... REALY??

:o Oh noes!! Not long and i am off the top ten in sawskill!!1!11!!! ;)

Hey thank you for the patch notes on the forums like this I really like it.  8)

Destroying foreign large carts and boats are no longer possible by the mayor of a settlement.

Sometimes I wish there was an accompanying explanations to go along with some of these updates. Can someone tell me exactly why this ability was taken away from deed owners?

probably because it seemed a little weird that u couldnt safely park your boat on someone else's deed on freedom, as they could be destroyed in 5 hits (for a sailboat)

Sometimes I wish there was an accompanying explanations to go along with some of these updates. Can someone tell me exactly why this ability was taken away from deed owners?

Agreed

probably because it seemed a little weird that u couldnt safely park your boat on someone else's deed on freedom, as they could be destroyed in 5 hits (for a sailboat)

So if you park your car in some strangers driveway do you expect them to accommodate you?  Sheesh.  Just reenable it for pvp servers then...

Agreed

So if you park your car in some strangers driveway do you expect them to accommodate you?  Sheesh.  Just reenable it for pvp servers then...

For PVP servers why cant we attack boats with bashing or catapults like attacking a building?

(I suppose this must be a thread already somewhere)

Agreed

no you expect them to get someone with authority to move it out of the drive. the driveway owner cant just take a hammer to your car :P

A client memory leak has been fixed.

no wonder wurm took 70% of my cpu

Since no one can tell me why that change was made, I can only assume that it's because some freedomer left his boat on some other freedomer's deeded "quay" and then got into a cat fight with them in kchat. And this prompted the 2nd freedomer to bash the 1st freedomer's boat. Crying ensued on IRC or email.

I only assume this happened this way because I didn't see 10 pages of back and forth fighting in the suggestion forums about getting this change put in.

This game is starting to rack up an impressive list of changes that no one asked for, nor do they benefit anyone.

I was suffering from freeze-ups recently, needing to close the program and restart the game.  Fixing the memory leak seems to've made that no longer happen, so now I know what was causing it.

Cheers for the fix!

Since no one can tell me why that change was made, I can only assume that it's because some freedomer left his boat on some other freedomer's deeded "quay" and then got into a cat fight with them in kchat. And this prompted the 2nd freedomer to bash the 1st freedomer's boat. Crying ensued on IRC or email.

I only assume this happened this way because I didn't see 10 pages of back and forth fighting in the suggestion forums about getting this change put in.

This game is starting to rack up an impressive list of changes that no one asked for, nor do they benefit anyone.

My guess is someone /dev'ed it because they either saw it as a possible griefing tool or lost a boat to it.

Boat/cart bashing was introduced when Rolf prevented boats from being completed in carts and it was an oversight that deed owners could destroy other peoples carts and boats whenever they stopped on their deed.

My guess is someone /dev'ed it because they either saw it as a possible griefing tool or lost a boat to it.

Boat/cart bashing was introduced when Rolf prevented boats from being completed in carts and it was an oversight that deed owners could destroy other peoples carts and boats whenever they stopped on their deed.

As Ago mentions, the ability to bash other peoples' boats was implemented a very short while ago - and it was an over sight, there is no reason why you can not /dev boats to have them removed, and salvage claim those that are unprotected. The ability to deed coast so that you can bash a boat, not to mention the fact that an upset mayor could easily just take a large maul to anyone parked on their deed, was too much of a griefing tool. It was simply reverted to the way it was before the boat-cart changes.

Please also keep in mind that just because you do not see posts in the public forums, does not mean that discussion has not happened about these topics and changes. *edit* there is a whole team of CA/CM/GM/Dev who take a lot of time to go over things and talk about things and seek public opinion in their own ways, is what is meant by the above. */edit*

As Ago mentions, the ability to bash other peoples' boats was implemented a very short while ago - and it was an over sight, there is no reason why you can not /dev boats to have them removed, and salvage claim those that are unprotected. The ability to deed coast so that you can bash a boat, not to mention the fact that an upset mayor could easily just take a large maul to anyone parked on their deed, was too much of a griefing tool. It was simply reverted to the way it was before the boat-cart changes.

Please also keep in mind that just because you do not see posts in the public forums, does not mean that discussion has not happened about these topics and changes.

I still fail to see why we cant bash them on wild

I still fail to see why we cant bash them on wild

Just like all the wild or epic related changes that messed up stuff on freedom...

That's rolfcode + wogic for you :)

I could imagine (on Epic) going to raid an enemy.  Pull ashore of their deed and begin constructing catapults.  And then from nowhere two guys run up with hammers and instantly smash our caravel and run away.

This hasn't happened but I could see shoreline deeds becoming incredibly easy to defend.  Thankfully this will not happen thanks to this change.

Please also keep in mind that just because you do not see posts in the public forums, does not mean that discussion has not happened about these topics and changes.

Usually, games use the most accessible format for public discussion.  Wurm is the first game I've played where the public game forums were NOT the sole, or at least primary, method of communication between the players and the dev team.

The game creator hangs out in an IRC channel; people have quickly learned how to shortcut the forum "vetting" process and get ideas implemented by speaking directly to the game creator.

Another third-party service is used to tally votes about upcoming features, instead of taking feedback via the game's forums.  A third-party service that requires its own registration, authentication, etc.

Because we don't see posts in the public forums, that means the discussion that has happened is limited in scope and usually highly controversial, and often results in little positive benefit.  At the least, it means that the community doesn't know the reasoning behind the changes, and therefore has no way to understand how they benefit the game.

PLEASE encourage your handlers to use the forums as their primary method of communicating with the players.

I could imagine (on Epic) going to raid an enemy...then from nowhere two guys run up with hammers and instantly smash our caravel and run away.

I could see you "imagining" raiding as well. Why would you put your boat on an enemy deed? And Instantly? Do you even play this game?

Please also keep in mind that just because you do not see posts in the public forums' date=' does not mean that discussion has not happened about these topics and changes.[/quote']

Spit in the face much?

Remind me again why we need someone to do PR then if half the decisions are made behind closed doors with hardly an explanation.

Remind me again why we need someone to do PR then if half the decisions are made behind closed doors with hardly an explanation.

Because jack, this is wurm online  ::)

Sorry you seemed to misunderstand - what I meant was, there is a whole team of CA/CM/DEV/GM who discuss things and get opinions in whatever way they have (be it forums, the votes, IRC, etc) before changes happen. When a change is implemented even if you as a player do not understand or even like the change there is a reason behind it. IF you don't happen to like the fact that boats owned by someone else can no longer be bashed into oblivion (the fact that they could had only been there for a week) then you are welcome to explain why this change is needed, and add it in the suggestion portion of the forums.

Sorry you seemed to misunderstand - what I meant was, there is a whole team of CA/CM/DEV/GM who discuss things and get opinions in whatever way they have (be it forums, the votes, IRC, etc) before changes happen. When a change is implemented even if you as a player do not understand or even like the change there is a reason behind it. IF you don't happen to like the fact that boats owned by someone else can no longer be bashed into oblivion (the fact that they could had only been there for a week) then you are welcome to explain why this change is needed, and add it in the suggestion portion of the forums.

Well that is exactly the problem: All of this means jack sh*t to the players, simply becasue they do not know[/i], for all we get it might just as well been done on a whim (Rolf actually has a histroy of doing just that)

All we get are the end results "Mayors can no longer get rid of foreign boats dumbed on their deed" SO naturally the only response we can give is "Wait, wut? o0"

There was no mention either about it being a fix to a week old bug. Please keep in mind that most players don't know every detail about the game, or even very much at all, as only the devs know how the game really works. (or not, as Rolf demonstrated in a recent interview)

For all we know it could as well been the removal of a years old feature, because someone (or even a friend of Rolf) whined about loosing his boat. (again Rolf has a history of doing exactly that)

Furthermore it is bad enough as it is that we have to be glad about getting told the results at all. Often enough the only information about a change we get is the first bug report a player writes and getting told that it's actually right.

Finally: People don't like to be in the dark. Don't say, trust us, we know what we are doing, it was the right thing to do. Tell them exactly what your are doing and why it was the right thing to do.

I dont mind people not being able to bash boats/carts on deli, exodus and inde thats fair enough. But please i still want to know why we cant bash them on deed on wild?

I believe you can still destroy them if you've got a maul, but the mayor no longer has the ability to insta-smash boats that are on the mayor's deed and do not belong to the village.

So, if someone parks their boat at your deed and you don't like it, you don't get the usual 3-hit-destroy, but you can still grab a maul and have at it.