Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Papyrus, Reed, Grass feedback thread

I had an area (~50 tiles) prepared waiting for reeds to be released so i could start making paper and writing letters to people as soon as possible after release. Now i'm sat with papyrus stacking up in my bsb, because its impossible for me to write on them since (no matter how hard i try - i bought a litd pendulum and sat on several special fishing tiles for a few hours) i cant find a single octopus to get ink.

Why not just make it so that dye can be used as ink (coloured font yay)?

(also i have no idea what kelp is for, nothing i could figure out)

Yes, give dye a real use. I've never really liked the look of things that where dyed. They just looked washed out with color and didn't really fit in. But being able to used dye for ink would be great. If you are going to do inchanted scrolls or something, then require squid for that.

• Like 1

Yes, give dye a real use. I've never really liked the look of things that where dyed. They just looked washed out with color and didn't really fit in. But being able to used dye for ink would be great. If you are going to do inchanted scrolls or something, then require squid for that.

precisely - if you want some rare scroll type thing that has an exclusivity factor (whether they be magic scrolls, instruction manuals/tutorials, or books) then use octopus for that. But for brief messages people want to send to each other, I think these should be as prolific as possible, and thus easy to make.

In my ideal world, I would take the idea mentioned before that dyes/whatever decay quite quickly (say 2 weeks) while octopus-ink things are permanent. This way books and such can only be made with the rarer stuff :)

I would like to suggest that the press be set up for making paper instead of printing. After making pulp with reed and some form of glue spread it on a leather, and repeat to make a stack of leathers. Put in the press to flatten and press the excess water out. That is how it was done originally, and would turn paper making into a skill. Parchment would also be a good idea, but we need a reason for parchment, as it was usually used for documents that were meant to last a long time. We could still have a printing press, but that was for making multiple copies of a document and I see little need for that right now.

Actually that's how the press works currently, just to create a sheet of papyrus, not for printing.

Just to be a nerd though, papyrus was originally made by laying strips of reeds across each other and hammering them, not with pulp or a press. Parchment was just the cheapest locally sourceable material for areas that couldn't afford shipping papyrus, ie anywhere but Egypt, longevity had nothing to do with it.

Just found a big bug. You can store reed plants in a bsb with no issues, but if you crush it to fiber and store it you lose most of it. I first added 9 reed fibers and got only 3 in the bsb, later put 14 reed fibers in and only got 2 more in the bsb for a total of 5, when it should have been 23. I checked the weights, and it does lose weight in this process, so seems to be a bug with volume similar to what happened when Rolf changed herb volumes. For now I will only store plants until this bug is fixed.

Just found a big bug. You can store reed plants in a bsb with no issues, but if you crush it to fiber and store it you lose most of it. I first added 9 reed fibers and got only 3 in the bsb, later put 14 reed fibers in and only got 2 more in the bsb for a total of 5, when it should have been 23. I checked the weights, and it does lose weight in this process, so seems to be a bug with volume similar to what happened when Rolf changed herb volumes. For now I will only store plants until this bug is fixed.

a careful observer will notice that after its been put in a bsb, the default size is 0.5 instead of the harvested 0.1, so the quantity goes down because the size has gone up (to the amount u need to make paper)

Also, papyrus sheets have the menu option to combine, but it doesnt actually do anything :P

Edit: with a 49ql reed pen and 0.01 ink of ql 3 (kindly donated by raam) i could write a 205 character long note on a single sheet of parchment (14ql). I could then mail that note to someone for 40i from a courier-casted mailbox. :)

Edited by Wraithglow

a careful observer will notice that after its been put in a bsb, the default size is 0.5 instead of the harvested 0.1, so the quantity goes down because the size has gone up (to the amount u need to make paper)

Also, papyrus sheets have the menu option to combine, but it doesnt actually do anything :P

Edit: with a 49ql reed pen and 0.01 ink of ql 3 (kindly donated by raam) i could write a 205 character long note on a single sheet of parchment (14ql). I could then mail that note to someone for 40i from a courier-casted mailbox. :)

Thanks for the info, I see that issue now. Did not notice that reed went down from 0.5 to 0.1 when crushed.

Edited by Vroomfondel

Very strange...

While farming corn i suddenly see a new option; Gather reed.

I dont believe that belongs there, right?

A bug being worked on. it should be "harvest" the only difference is the text.

My only issue about reeds is to do with the skill gain from papyrusmaking. I have an alt char (on GV) who was testing this using a reed paddy of about 60 tiles, which after full harvest allowed me about 180 reeds - 60 for replanting. 120 reed = 12kg of fibre, giving max 24 papyrus skill ups per full harvest (usually every few days - but 3x faster on GV)

It seems like an awfully slow grind even with a pretty large paddy field up to my current level of 10 (even using SB on it occasionally), Not sure if increasing the gain per creation is the way to go, or reducing the amount of fibre somewhat is a better alternative - or perhaps I am the only person who thinks its way too slow.

Is the current reed model (tile) gonna stay? If it was kelp I'd understand but now it just looks way out of place. The previous model was better.

the test server model is gorgeous, tall and waves in the wind perfectly since it looks like reeds and not a brown mass quivering on the ground randomly.

Also:

Hi SwedishPhoenix!!!!!

I agree with Tinkerer, the papyrusmaking skill is very slow to gain.

Either the amount of skill we get from each piece of paper needs revisiting or if we want more paper about, the requirement for each piece of paper needs to be lowered.

Currently each plant is 0.5 kg each, convert to fibre and they are 0.1kg each, combine 5 to make 0.5kg (again) then use in press, and if fail, loose 0.05 of it. So one way to change requirements would be to give a heavier fibre from a plant

ps, i may have the weights incorrect

I've made at least 100 papyrus sheets and inscrined them with whatever propagan.....information and then litter...gave them to my neighbors laws and I've still only got 11 papyrus making skill. And the press is a lot harder to imp then the fruit one.

Make a number of other items from the skill and make some of them impable for skill. Also, what limits the number of characters available?

What other items should be made with the Papyrus skill other than papyrus?

Why not get rid of that skill and use another skill? Like natural substances, or alchemy main skill.

What other items should be made with the Papyrus skill other than papyrus?

Papyrus baskets, Mats, rope maybe even papyrus rafts for sailboats, rowboats and small carts?

Or allow books to be put together from multiple papyrus sheets and make those improvable.

• Like 1

Not sure what else could use the skill other than a few other 'creations' using papyrus. It doesn't really lend itself to being an imp-able type item in any way though.

Perhaps the crushed weight of reeds should be increased slightly (maybe 0.2kg) and requirement for papyrus reduced a little too. (0.35 or 0,4kg) At least then you'ld have a few more sheets to skill up on.

But then, with more sheets floating around, there needs to be more usage for them to keep their numbers lower

Books (multiple sheets + string + leather binding) (would need to have much lower decay or be improvable.

Maybe use papyrus for wrapping gifts rather than woodscrap or as well as, but offering a reduced 'wrapping' timer as a benefit or something

Got to be a few things in the 'toy making' field that can use papyrus too.

Larger papyrus sheets could be another pressed item (requiring a lot more crushed reed) - possible use for posters / paintings as decoration items.

Papyrus folders - for holding writs?

The reeds (using papyrus skill) could be woven and used to make baskets, floor mats (decoration - somewhat cheaper than using meditation rugs hehe), fishing traps, hats, sandles or even rope.

• Like 2

I like tinkerer's suggestions!

I wonder if it would be reasonable to make books as said, but make them impable (to decrease decay rate and increase number of pages, especially if the "tools" for improving included paper sheets) and only repairable with papyrus sheets (similar to low stone walls needing shards). This combination would mean there would be a much higher demand for papyrus sheets, then just increase weight of fibres and..

voila! a market for papermaking, and two ways to gain skill (spam pages to act like leaflets or imp up some books).

p.s. i think people would probably use paper a lot more now if it was more visually appealing!

• Like 1

Lamps, canoes, rafts, maybe a small boat you can carry around. Curtains or window-fillers as long as we dont have glass?

Yes, give dye a real use. I've never really liked the look of things that where dyed. They just looked washed out with color and didn't really fit in.

Hey Vorg.. you ever see something painted with really high-quality dye? Really good dyes give a very vibrant color. It's the low-QL dyes that give that washed-out color you describe.

Though I do agree the dye coloring code could use some tweaking. Currently it's just evenly applied to something, like tinting the skin of the object. Real painting works a bit different for anything other than perfectly smooth surfaces. Anyone who paints miniatures or models knows about shading, washing, and highlighting. It would be good if the dying code can incorporate this. Though IMHO this is a low-priority item.

It doesnt seem Reeds (kelp too perhaps) is spreading much, if at all. Its been a few months and the shallow water around SB on Serenity is still mostly dirt.

Figuring its either too slow or the spread was halted as a possibility for the server lag problem.

It doesnt seem Reeds (kelp too perhaps) is spreading much, if at all. Its been a few months and the shallow water around SB on Serenity is still mostly dirt.

Figuring its either too slow or the spread was halted as a possibility for the server lag problem.

I too have found many reed and kelp tiles but seen very little spreading. I think Rolf just placed enough tiles out there for you to glean some seed from them so you can start your own water farm. Not sure I'd want to see the seabottom coverd in this stuff everywhere anyway. The weirdest tiles are the reed tiles I've found in the middle of the woods.