Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Papyrus, Reed, Grass feedback thread

Figured out how to make pen - but still no idea for ink

also when i click "inscribe" on the sheets it says "[18:30:22] This papyrus sheet has already been inscribed." i haven't written anything etc

Figured out how to make pen

No need to tell us how /sarcasm

Figured out how to make pen - but still no idea for ink

also when i click "inscribe" on the sheets it says "[18:30:22] This papyrus sheet has already been inscribed." i haven't written anything etc

Ok finally I fixed the examine, rename not working bug properly. Also the problem with inscribing when already inscribed. Subscribing is a one-off thing, if you write wrong text you will need a new papyrus sheet.

It will not be available for testing on test server until monday (CET).

Ok finally I fixed the examine, rename not working bug properly. Also the problem with inscribing when already inscribed. Subscribing is a one-off thing, if you write wrong text you will need a new papyrus sheet.

It will not be available for testing on test server until monday (CET).

Now need to invent whiteout using white dye

hehe realism with the introduction of letters and the mailing of them.  Lets delete any form of Kingdom chat and force communication via mail!  Better hope that warning of a siege in the mail can reach you before the warmongers do!

Checked out the reeds today, and kelp.  Kelp needs a better model, it looks pretty much the same as reeds, although as far as I know they're not the final objects.

I don't really like the idea of sown reeds having a farm tile look though.  Tilled soil under water?  Not.  At best they should look similar to the wild reed tiles, preferably like stands of cattails more than just tall grass.  Much more dense.

Common_Reed_Grass1.JPG.JPG

I am going to Be honest I didn`t read the whole Thread, so keep that in mind.

I have an idea on the font. Make the ink/pen QL unlock different fonts or use Misc items as a guide.

Basicicly

0 to 10 QL is 1st font

10 to 30ql has the next font as an option.

30 to 50ql has the next font as an option.

50+ql Unlocks a few extra Letters per Paper...

Text to look at - http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=401

Would just make letters a little more QL driven.

Don`t know how possible it would be but Personal letter Mail boxes? (note I am trying to use already In game stuff to make Coding faster)

You can Either pick up letters from a normal mailbox or if you made Personal one, you can pic just letters from it.

1. It should Function like an semi-locked container that you can Drop letters in but only the owner can take it out.

2. You should be able to get any letter mailed to you from it , but not send any.

3. The mayor of a town or the builder/owner should be able to give ownership over like carts and boats.

4. (don't know how possible this is) But mousing over it should show the amount of letters in it.

While we are on the subject how about a yellow event message whenever you get mail

The message board thing should be easy to do to. The big GM signs would do, just a different skin and same idea , Mouse over to see how many messages and open to read them.

I Haven`t been on test recent;y but ill try to get on to check out all the great work being done.

Go Zcul and the rest of the Team.

I have an idea on the font. Make the ink/pen QL unlock different fonts or use Misc items as a guide.

Would just make letters a little more QL driven.

Don`t know how possible it would be but Personal letter Mail boxes? (note I am trying to use already In game stuff to make Coding faster)

Heh, the font idea would add some nice flavour to it.

And very much +1 to personal mailboxes. This'd encourage neighbours to use notes, being able to walk next door and post, rather than dissing it coz of the trip to the spirit house + cost.

Ink sac isn't common enough of an ingredient. Targeting the majority of players is an efficient way to make many appreciate things. Designing things which only benefit a handful of players will lead to disappointment overall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkstone

Use chisel on rock shards. Should be somewhat difficult to create because of necessary flat grinding surface.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inkstick

1. Soot made from burning olive oil or animal fat. Or ground charcoal into dust with a grind stone.

2. Glue made from egg white or any animal hide glues.

We could also use lead to create a writing instrument.

• Like 1

The asian method for making ink is a nice solution.

Btw, desbite the confusion between lead ore and graphite, you can actually write with lead, so that would be an option too and give a use for the stuff other than anchors.

Another way: Ink is more or less concentrated dye, they should be used together.

Inks sac produces pure black to dark grey ink, depending on quality.

Ink can be turned into dye by adding water.

Dye can be turned to ink of the corresponding color by boiling out the water in an oven or forge.

Will grazers now eat non short grass? that would remove the need for them to completey destroy the grass.

*Lola watches for the Crocs and anaconda hiding in the new tall grass*

*Lola watches for the Crocs and anaconda hiding in the new tall grass*

+1  should be the preferred spawn for these

Where does ink come from, is it only octopi or can we use normal dyes?

I think the system will be very limited in use if the only was to get ink will be fishing.

As a Vegan I support the idea of ink recipies not requiring animal products!! ;D I'll slather red mud on a parchment if I have to.

hehe realism with the introduction of letters and the mailing of them.  Lets delete any form of Kingdom chat and force communication via mail!  Better hope that warning of a siege in the mail can reach you before the warmongers do!

As a Vegan ... parchment

*cough*

;)

Ah! Just learned what a parchment really is.  :D

• Like 1

From Deli CA Help:

[00:28:35] <Joebryson> Theres a glitch with botanizing on a reed tile

[00:29:20] <Joebryson> u can keep botanizing on the same tile and keep getting experience

What is this Kelp for? i've gathered a ton of it along with reeds but can't find what they are used for. Also is Octopus still the only thing that works inside a pen?

• Like 1

+1 "Why do I care?" If it requires inksacks to write, then you've made an incredibly strange decision that has never been recorded in human history - there are ten thousand different ways to make a mark on paper without using an octopus. Why did you make the ONLY option for writing be the ONLY method that's historically hilariously wrong. Not to mention, why does this remind me of Minecraft so much? Inksacs? Really?

From Deli CA Help:

[00:28:35] <Joebryson> Theres a glitch with botanizing on a reed tile

[00:29:20] <Joebryson> u can keep botanizing on the same tile and keep getting experience

ive had that with grass aswell lol

Here's a few suggestions about Reeds & Kelp

• Instead of repurposing grass tiles, they should use the marsh tile. It's much more in theme with a predominantly water plant.
  • Reeds should grow on marsh tiles in the same way that flowers grow on grass, instead of having their own tile. The graphic should look like cattails or similar tall grassy stems.
  • Cultivated reeds should not use the tilled dirt tile that crops use! It looks silly to have tilled dirt under water. Perhaps just a wet silt look would be better. This would also work with rice, whenever it gets into the game.
  • Marsh should be restricted to the same growth zones that reeds currently have, and propogated automatically. Shallow bodies of water *should* turn marshy.
  • Marsh that is currently under deep water should be converted to kelp. It's not very realistic for marsh to be under 50 dirt deep water.

• Like 2

IMO there should be other sources for ink. Currently i (and 99% of the players) won't bother looking around half the map for random octopus spawns (that move around every few weeks) to get ink.

• Like 1

I have just gathered my first reed seeds, so will start farming tonight and will report how it goes. I would like to suggest that the press be set up for making paper instead of printing. After making pulp with reed and some form of glue spread it on a leather, and repeat to make a stack of leathers. Put in the press to flatten and press the excess water out. That is how it was done originally, and would turn paper making into a skill. Parchment would also be a good idea, but we need a reason for parchment, as it was usually used for documents that were meant to last a long time. We could still have a printing press, but that was for making multiple copies of a document and I see little need for that right now.

If octopus is the only ink source, that will need fixing. Not sure what to suggest, but the lampblack (soot) for ink is a good one we could do by crushing charcoal to powder (need a mortar and pestal more every day).

I'm posting mostly to agree with the ideas about march and reed tiles in water. Marsh should only form at or near the waterline, not deep in the ocean and definitely not go spreading up the side of a hill or mountain. Reed seed should be able to be botanized from marsh tiles, and a marsh tile marked reed would look more natural than a grass tile marked reed, until you get proper graphics going for them all.

As to kelp, not sure where that idea is going. Looking it up you can use kelp to make potash for lye, or iodine, which I guess could be usesd as brown ink, but would be better for wounds. Perhaps an iodine/lampblack combo could be made for ink.

As to spirit houses and mail, maybe we just have it so any spirit house can be used for mail, but you need it enchanted to send packages. Seems a simpler idea than a new mailbox for personal mail. And probably make it an easier object to create, so new players can get a mailbox going early on.

I would also like to add a +1 to magic scrolls. Inscribed by a priest with the spell, only usable by a follower of that religion, and 1 use only then it burns up in a flash. This would make being a follower more popular and may keep the number of actual priests down, although casts like coc or woa would still need to be done by priests, as they could fail many times before you get the cast you want.

And a note to all Vegans ( just a joking dig at you). Something is going to die in order that you can live. You have chosen to eat only the forms of life that cannot run away from you to save themselves.

Edited by Vroomfondel
  • Like 1

I had an area (~50 tiles) prepared waiting for reeds to be released so i could start making paper and writing letters to people as soon as possible after release. Now i'm sat with papyrus stacking up in my bsb, because its impossible for me to write on them since (no matter how hard i try - i bought a litd pendulum and sat on several special fishing tiles for a few hours) i cant find a single octopus to get ink.

Why not just make it so that dye can be used as ink (coloured font yay)?

(also i have no idea what kelp is for, nothing i could figure out)

• Like 1