Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

Papyrus, Reed, Grass feedback thread

ON TEST SERVER NOW! PLEASE MAKE PAPYRUS AND TEST INSCRIBING!

Read here: http://www.wurmonline.com/blog/

Bug findings and improvement suggestions are added here.

Planned:

- Visualize growth with Kelp, Reed and Grass textures.

- Make underwater farms have regular dirt texture.

- specific textures for reed and kelp.

Bugs found:

- Flowers are not rendering properly (fixed)

- Examine don't work on the papyrus (fixed)

- Rename doesn't work on the papyrus (fixed)

- Unable to inscribe on a blank papyrus (fixed)

- Can gather from ocean floor (fixed, distance now verified)

- Gathering reed converted the tile to regular grass(fixed)

- Sickle skill multiplying when cutting grass with a carving knife (can't reproduce)

Implemented suggestions:

- Too expensive with 10c for emailing the items. Should be somewhat discounted. added discount for inscribed papyrus.

Suggestions:

- Allow different colors on Papyrus

- Make papyrus text render in a weird mideval font

- HOTS should be able to write with blood.

Things to test (Balancing)

- Growth of Grass, Reed and Kelp?

- Establish farm of Reed and check, is it worth it?

- Way to inscribe too hard? Too easy?

- General balance of weights of items and liquids etc.

You are my new god Zcul!

Let papyrus mail free, it is only small sheet with some letters, nothing valuable.

Definitely +1 to discounted letter mailing. I would even say 10i per letter for mailing.  We want to encourage communication which builds the community, not discourage it.

Also,  Papyrus should not be limited to just mailing.  We should be able to place large chests outside our house for people to drop notes or read notes left by us.  Finally, I would love to see bulletin boards like the ones in the tutorial that can be created, planted on deed and filled with messages, want ads, for sale items, local news, etc.

Great Work Z!

I would also love to use papyrus notes on bulletin boards.

If we cannot have the notes "display" as separate objects then maybe the board can act as a paper container where anyone can open and read the contents, written notes do decay over time, and board can be set to either "lock" (only the owner can add or remove notes) or "open" (anyone can add or remove notes). Or maybe even let the owner toggle whether 1) anyone can ADD (but not remove), or 2) anyone can REMOVE (but not add), so they can be used for things like contracts and help-wanted classifieds.

Also for an EXPENSIVE money-sink fee, the notes can broadcast in local event pane, only once per hour (no excess spam please) and it costs 10c per broadcast (since we don't want people to be bombarding us with messages), so if you pay 50c it will broadcast once an hour for 5 hours then its finished. Or if you are one of the richer players, you can have it broadcast for 3 days for 5s. Or every single  hour for a month for some outrageously ridiculous amount.

Mail should be CHEAP (as it is non-intrusive) but hourly broadcasts should be VERY expensive (since they are very very very annoying, and potentially griefing if abused)

• Like 1

Someone already posted that HOTS should be able to write on it with blood to which i agree

Someone already posted that HOTS should be able to write on it with blood to which i agree

Yea but they need to use flayed human skin as the "paper" and not papyrus =op

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqSGLAGSqQwS06x3HgR-sEUHa4AgFi6L39pfs-L3C-zyKT67ZAMg

Also,  Papyrus should not be limited to just mailing.  We should be able to place large chests outside our house for people to drop notes or read notes left by us. 

You can, and we can of course build on this with concept of making books from leather binder adding the pages to it and such things. Attaching to bulletin board is also something that can be implemented later on.

Yea but they need to use flayed human skin as the "paper" and not papyrus =op

Thats another , butcher based content tree for inscription: Parchments.

You can, and we can of course build on this with concept of making books from leather binder adding the pages to it and such things. Attaching to bulletin board is also something that can be implemented later on.

Can we embellish this even more and add a new carpentry item "small book shelf" you can use a nail to attach it to a wall? It would add a way to store our books and adds a little pzazz to our houses too.  :P

Who needs printing presses. How to make mass pamphlets in Wurm:

1) Acquire ink and parchment, write message.

2) ACTIVATE Papyrus (Written), shift-click and COMBINE with stack of Papyrus (Blank), up to 64kg bundle. Make sure the written one is Active or you will just make them all blank!

3) Drop into BSB and withdraw to separate into 128 separate .5kg copies.

About medieval font. You will have hard time finding font with range of sign we have now (we use Unicode 16 or 32?).

If only clay containers could float and go with the currents...  Messages in bottles, anyone?

If only clay containers could float and go with the currents...  Messages in bottles, anyone?

Why not send papyrus notes by carrier pigeon :)

Does anyone have any screenshots of these new reeds?

I was using a carving knife for cutting grass, reeds and kelp and noticed that my sickle skill was multiplied:

62094_thumb.jpeg

- HOTS should be able to write with blood.

Nice to see my suggestion from the other thread showed up, keep on being awesome Zcul!

Where does ink come from, is it only octopi or can we use normal dyes?

I think the system will be very limited in use if the only was to get ink will be fishing.

magic scrolls

I know its much more work but can solve quite a lot of priest problems and forum fights.

-Priest casting an attack spell on papyrus making it magic scroll of the casted spell (%30 more favor required to make scroll)

-Anyone can use a magic scroll activating it and cast, use up his own favor (limited by 30 for nonpriests) by a fraction of original spell favor required(may be 1/3)

-magic scrolls will have same cool-downs with original spells

-any religion follower can use any magic scrolls

-only attack spells can be used on papyrus

-papyrus ql, channeling of priest that made scroll will have an effect on success chance and power of your magic scroll effect

A "paper" texture instead of a normal text-box.

Ability to post it onto a wall/surface and if a person hovers over it it shows what it says, or can right-click -> read

Zcul, you realize that Kelp is a brown algae that grows in long strands from the bottom of the ocean to the surface.

Island-kelp-forest.jpg

just saying, because I have seen Kelp growing above the water level.

Btw, it should be used for cooking, it makes a tasty soup. (Ramen)

Zcul, you realize that Kelp is a brown algae that grows in long strands from the bottom of the ocean to the surface.

Island-kelp-forest.jpg

Yea, where was that? It should only grow under water at deeper depths.

the original post says examine on the sheet has been fixed.  I am on test now and my sheets say nothing in event window still on examine.

Rename does nothing either.  On your blog it shows the screenshot of one you did with rename it looks like, but mine won't do it.

magic scrolls

-only attack spells can be used on papyrus

Why?

magic scroll possibilities,

Possible to fail casting it harm the user.

Would the spell have the same power as casted from a priest or less power (diluted)

Could make a reduced cooldown maybe since you are using the paper to cast not yourself.

Could make it harder to get the spell into the paper since you are storing a spell not enchanting the paper.  Or make a new skill related to scribing for making the scrolls. 

Could make the scroll have 'stats' such as channeling and soul depth/strength etc.  So scroll with spell x on it how do you determine the success to cast or power etc?  If a 50 channeling priest makes the scroll then use 50 chan as the cap and depending on success it goes below that.  So you could be a 50 chan priest for example and make a scroll with spell x at [60] power and it came out at 1 to 43 channeling maybe.  so the power is fixed when cast but the other stats affect the chance to cast etc.  This puts the stats into the scroll since non-priests using it won't have stats in these skills much.  Could be more complicated than needed though.

You can improve enchants on items etc. when casting.  Doesn't have to be that way for scrolls and instead be a cast once and it's done, so no improving an existing cast on the scroll, must make new one.

Type of ink used could have supplemental effects (if you are doing different ink types/colors). 

anyway, just quick things to spark ideas.  No point to keep spewing them out unless the concept of scribing spells is really an interest for the game.

Island-kelp-forest.jpg

Yea, where was that? It should only grow under water at deeper depths.

I have to correct that stament: all of the kelp I can find is under water. It just looked otherwise because of that starnge water graphics on test.

I'm not sure what you consider "deeper depths" though, as that lake next to Testalot is not even deep enough to swim, but has plenty of kelp.

I heard that somebody was able to butcher an ink sac from an octopus. Is that true? If so can you do that on the live server?