Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

ZCul Simple Note Blog

From ZCul's post:  "Hopefully on the test server this week, you will be able to gather wild growing grasses such as regular grass and reed, and it will give you mixed grass or reed plants. If you figure out how, you can create a papyrus sheet, and scribble some lines on it. The better tools you have for writing the more text will fit, probably up to a good sized page of information. Reed can also be farmed but it will require alot of water. Once you have obtained some papyrus sheets there is one final hurdle: You will need ink – wurm style."

Ok, so squid butchered would yield ink???  Or, certain types of dyes used as ink???  Writing instrument???

Any other thoughts on what this update might yield?

Find grass/reed, grind with grindstone, press, ????, profit!

I hope they allow HotS to write in blood rather than ink, though.

Wikipedia basically lists tree forms of ink.  Iron + Nut ink, and dried tree paste that's mixed with water and left to dry, and burned things.  Wurm already has black ink made by mixing iron and acorn products.  It doesn't quite have the trees needed for the second type, which is mostly to take the bark off a tree and grind it to sludge.  The final, more likely variety involves using ash/soot, sometimes burned bones, mixed with animal fat to create cohesion.  Then, of course, Wurm already has various colors of dye as well.  Then there's also an extremely interesting prospect of painting with wine that could have some very nice effects.

I'm very interested in having paper and writing myself, but to be perfectly honest I don't want anything to be added until existing massive bugs are fixed.  As far as any development is concerned, the top priority should be making sure what you have runs before you start adding new things to break.

the top priority should be making sure what you have runs before you start adding new things to break.

Where is the fun in that!

I find it hard to imagine what would be worth the time and effort involved to create paper and ink in game, to write some brief note upon a piece of Wurm "paper". Billboards, similar to the Heritage Sites boards would be a more welcome addition, formatted properly (instead of one long sentence display) to leave messages upon. Ultima Online had them and they were quite handy for leaving messages, without requiring an exorbitant amount of time to create them as this Wurm paper and ink system seems to indicate.

Yes, it is easy to criticise some new concepts to be introduced into the game but consider why it is easy to do so.

=Ayes=

Yes, it is easy to criticise some new concepts to be introduced into the game but consider why it is easy to do so.

Because you have extensive experience?

I think Zcul and Rolf should work together not against each other. After Rolf messed with fishing and broke it not many people is even going to bother with catching the very rare and hard to find octopii in game just to write notes.

Also why not make ink out of something even remotely resembling real life? Ink from octopii has never been used in real life (ancient greeks used it from cuttlefish).

Ink has been available for several millenia now in real life, so adding some recipe for ink that makes sense also in Wurm wouldn't be too hard.

My idea is the use of either acorns and hazelnuts, combined with some animal parts and probably iron.

Because you have extensive experience?

Oh you, trying to pick a fight again. The implication within my statement is, because the flaws within them are obvious, obviously.

=Ayes=

I find it hard to imagine what would be worth the time and effort involved to create paper and ink in game, to write some brief note upon a piece of Wurm "paper".

One word, fun. There is no harm in adding a fun feature once in a while. IMO some of the most useless features in a game can be fun. Maybe not for everyone, but for some of them at least.

I find it hard to imagine what would be worth the time and effort involved to create paper and ink in game, to write some brief note upon a piece of Wurm "paper".

One word, fun. There is no harm in adding a fun feature once in a while. IMO some of the most useless features in a game can be fun. Maybe not for everyone, but for some of them at least.

Yeah, some of us have been asking for books and paper for a long time! It's for the players, for the community. Such things make this game fun to play for me. Not some combat tweaks or new aggros I don't care about. But you don't see me saying:

“I find it hard to imagine what would be worth the time and effort involved to create new aggros, just to have more things to kill for the high FS players.â€

Right? :>

allow papyrus to hold spells and make magic scrolls, only usable for attack spells. creation change decrease with higher level spells. This will ease the huge need of priests on pvp. Right now its priests rule all.

Yeah, some of us have been asking for books and paper for a long time! It's for the players, for the community. Such things make this game fun to play for me. Not some combat tweaks or new aggros I don't care about. But you don't see me saying:

“I find it hard to imagine what would be worth the time and effort involved to create new aggros, just to have more things to kill for the high FS players.â€

Right? :>

+1

Mailing notes seems much more useful than another sign type that can be planted once a week..besides the tutorial type signs are already in use marking Heritage sites....

Zcul also mentioned books...much more useful also than a sign...maybe a player ettiquite or new player information book created by players

Besides..what else we gonna use the new water farmed crops for?

I think Zcul and Rolf should work together not against each other. After Rolf messed with fishing and broke it not many people is even going to bother with catching the very rare and hard to find octopii in game just to write notes. 

Aye, better planning and communication, please.

Zcul: Hey Rolf! I got paper and ink figured out! Ink should be difficult, so they'll fish for squid for the ink, but only RARE squid will work!

Rolf: Hurrumph. When?

Zcul: Tomorrow! I tried it and it works fine! I'm excited to get it in asap!

Rolf: Hurrumph. Can't. That's the patch where I plan to break fishing.

Zcul: ...

Zcul: Maybe you could break something else this patch instead?

Zcul: How about priests?

Rolf: Hurrumph.

Rolf: Was kind of thinking about starting a Libila priest on Epic.

Zcul: Lockpicking..?

Rolf: It's a lockpicking Libila priest. Hurrumph, something care-beary would work, though.

Zcul: Cheesemaking?

Rolf: Hurrumph. Already been done, try making sandwiches sometime.

Zcul: Maybe when Chaos goes PvP again, you can have a 24-hour glitch where they can declare war on and raid the PvE servers and drain all their tokens?

Rolf: ...

Rolf: That would work. Been done before but actually it was kinda fun. Let's try it again.

Rolf: Ok. Put the rice-eater papermaking fish-squid stuff in.

Zcul: Happy Dance!!

Oh you, trying to pick a fight again. The implication within my statement is, because the flaws within them are obvious, obviously.

=Ayes=

We all have experience in something we hold dear. Or something to that effect.

Anyways, no. It's not really obvious.

As always, it depends on implementation.  Has anyone got proof that it will need squid?  This isn't Minecraft, and Wurm is more on crafting.  I imagine it will take either the existing dyes, or use some new foraged grasses/berries.

apparently in real life, you can use ... strawberries ...

http://www.ehow.com/how_6321987_make-natural-ink.html

we don't have vinegar but if that is used just to retain the color, then a darkened ink (not pretty strawberry color) would be better anyway.  Since strawberries are now a farm crop, it would make ink accessible and also give people a reason to buy & sell them as a crop (given that they are so bulky they are too difficult to transport for normal sales). 

As always, it depends on implementation.  Has anyone got proof that it will need squid?  This isn't Minecraft, and Wurm is more on crafting.  I imagine it will take either the existing dyes, or use some new foraged grasses/berries.

Squid was merely a guess on my part.  I think it will likely be dye.

Squid was merely a guess on my part.  I think it will likely be dye.

It was a very good guess ;)

Finally some uses to my decaying octopuses in my house! (i dont have any)