Sign in to follow this  
Yaga

Wurmclock: Desktop App Showing Current Wurm Time, Date and Season

I don't think this issue has anything to do with exclusive locks on the stats.xml file.  Yaga, I'm sending you a PM now.

• Like 1

I had an issue where I would get the RDbWmov.png 

But I am using it for WurmOnline.

I did get it to work by switching the "LocalServer=0" to "LocalServer=1"

I thought I would share that.

3 hours ago, Travic said:

But I am using it for WurmOnline.

To use it with WO, the line in WurmClock3.ini must read:

ServerUrl=http://jenn001.game.wurmonline.com/battles/stats.xml

The error message you got shows that you seem to have a WU server address in that line instead (https://cossakos.net/wurm/stats.xml).

Preview! Coming soon:

LhfmSTG.png

Can you spot the new feature? :P

• Like 2

Hey Yaga! This looks awesome! Only just discovered this through the Wurmpedia seasons page. But just one problem: When I run the .exe file, nothing happens except the little blue "in progress" icon appears momentarilly.

Don't see anything go into my lower right tray or task bar either. Can't see it in processes either. I have Win 10. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Was reading through some of the older comments and someone was talking about the ini file and you were telling them that it will be created upon using the exe for the first time. So I checked to see if it made an .ini file for me, and no it did not. Also, did not get any firewall errors or anything.

Also tried starting the exe as administrator, didn't help.

Also tried restarting computer, didn't help.

In the video below, you can see the little "thinking icon" after double clicking the exe, and then how it simply goes away. 

In the instructions, it says one should have the latest version of the net framework. I checked my version from the regedit.exe (v4.0) but am now wondering whether I'm meant to install this or not?

https://dotnet.microsoft.com/

Edited by Malena

Hi Malena! I am very sorry that WurmClock does not work for you.

To be honest, I have no clue what's happening. It just seems that "something" on your computer is blocking the exe file from being executed. If there was anything wrong with the program itself it would display some kind of error message.

The only possible reason I can think of is: security software. Some malware protection software is known for being overly cautious when you try to run a new program they do not know. In a seizure of paranoia they often block it completely - but usually they show you a message about it. I have heard of cases where malware protection software classified WurmClock as "potentially dangerous" - the reason probably being that WurmClock contains code to load data from the internet. (This is an intentional feature, because after an update WurmClock can download its latest version for you.)

So, please check the logfiles of your anti-malware software, and maybe add WurmClock3.exe to the whitelist. Also, check if the folder you are running it from is not write-proteced.

I hope you'll get it sorted soon.

6 hours ago, Yaga said:

Hi Malena! I am very sorry that WurmClock does not work for you.

So, please check the logfiles of your anti-malware software, and maybe add WurmClock3.exe to the whitelist. Also, check if the folder you are running it from is not write-proteced.

Aww no worries! I can imagine that out of the two of us, this must be more frustrating for you as you'd love to know why this isn't working. As for me, well I've been playing Wurm up till now without it, so I'm sure I can live hehe. I can't miss what I haven't experienced yet. 

Checked both the folder read-only thing and added it to the whitelist (even though it was never blocked by my firewall to begin with), but neither thing helped I'm afraid. Ah well, such is life sometimes!

PLEASE NOTE: With today's update of Microsoft's anti-malware software Defender, the program file WurmClock3.exe seems to raise a malware alert on some computers. Windows Defender claims to have found:

Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.A

I closely examined the executable and also uploaded it to virustotal.com, where it was declared "CLEAN" by 66 different virus scanners (including leading scanners like Avast, Bitdefender, Kaspersky...). So this can only be a false alarm.

It should be safe to "whitelist" the program file in Windows Defender.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but false alarms occur from time to time - especially with software that's not widely known.

I submitted the file to Microsoft, and they removed the detection. So this should no longer be a problem.

Quoting Microsoft:

Da815Bv.png

8 hours ago, CrazyDad543 said:

Does this work on Android phones?

No, it is a Windows Desktop application.

So i was just coming here to fetch an update and all that as i love this tool. Yet the update(3.4.1) seems to have causes my Anti-virus(Avira) to throw a tantrum about a potential virus(Something to do with a cloud). As a result it cut the permissions on the exe.

This is however solvable by making an exception in the folder where the exe is kept. This is more meant as a heads-up for others who may encounter this more then anything really.

21 minutes ago, PotatoOnStick said:

So i was just coming here to fetch an update and all that as i love this tool. Yet the update(3.4.1) seems to have causes my Anti-virus(Avira) to throw a tantrum about a potential virus(Something to do with a cloud). As a result it cut the permissions on the exe.

This is however solvable by making an exception in the folder where the exe is kept. This is more meant as a heads-up for others who may encounter this more then anything really.

Probably a similar issue as this one:

Those antivirus heuristics are a bit paranoid :)

• Like 1

Here is my .net error log for wurmclock:

Spoiler

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
   at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
   at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean preserveWhitespace)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
   at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(String filename)
   at )@pKxwWZ\\U5E?i}~Pi(rA$\,B".‮‏‎‍‫‬‭‪‏‏‏‍‍‏‬‪‬‍‏‮()
   at )@pKxwWZ\\U5E?i}~Pi(rA$\,B".‮‫‪‭‪‌‍‮‎‏‭‏‮‎‎‮‏‎‬‬‏‮‌‪‭‫‫‮()
   at )@pKxwWZ\\U5E?i}~Pi(rA$\,B".‌‬‎‌‎‫‭‬‌‎‫‍‮‍‎‪‏‎‌‮‍‮(Object , EventArgs )
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.OnTick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Timer.TimerNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3324.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
WurmClock3
    Assembly Version: 3.4.1.0
    Win32 Version: 3.4.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/WurmClock330/WurmClock3.exe
yzODNXgyKAdiEaaZFWbDDknbqCFoc
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 3.4.1.0
    CodeBase: file:///D:/Games/WurmClock330/WurmClock3.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3353.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_B
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3190.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Core
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
    Win32 Version: 4.7.3190.0 built by: NET472REL1LAST_C
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Thanks.

I made some changes in an attempt to fix the random crashes.Please update to the latest version 3.4.2, available here:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/blfd9eo2mb54ouu/WurmClock342_.zip

(As usual, anti-malware software may consider the exe file "suspect". I can assure it is clean, so you can add it to your whitelist).

EDIT: If this works I'll apply the same fix to WurmStatus.

running it now. ill let it go overnight. I will let you know when i get on the computer tomorrow.

• Like 1

no issue with it running for approximately 6 Hours. Ty yaga i think you fixed it. im going to put the pc to sleep and see what happens when i get home later. ty agian

Edited by Tomatoes
details
  • Like 1

Thanks for testing, Tomatoes. I'll apply the same fix to WurmStatus.

Please note:

Again, Microsoft Windows Defender flags the latest version of WurmClock as malware ("Trojan:Win32/Zpevdo.B"). This is beginning to become annoying - I already informed Microsoft and I hope they will update their malware signatures soon. In the meantime you are safe to add the program to Defender's whitelist.

Bitdefender also blocks the exe even the link to the exe it says it is not safe. if you manage to download it blocks from unzipping and if you manage to unzip it delete the exe first time it runs.

But with some exclusions it can be run.

Modern anti-malware programs will not only actively scan for known malware signatures. They also use "heuristics" and algorithms based on "reputation". This is where the problems occur.

Heuristics will flag an executable program for reasons like "Wait - this sort of looks slightly similar to what I saw before in some kind of malware. Who knows? It may be better to flag this as 'suspicious'."

Reputation sort of uses this logic: "Oh - a new program file? I've never seen that, nor has anybody else in the world-wide community - there are no reputation records. So, to be on the safe side, let's flag it as 'suspicious'."

[simplified explanations]

So, whenever someone (who is not a major software company) releases a new software tool (like WurmClock, for example) he is very likely to run into one of those "traps". (It's what I call malware paranoia :P )

As long as you download my tools from the links given in the official forums posts I can assure you that the programs are safe. I wrote the program code and compiled them to executables myself, and I regularly upload them to virustotal.com, to make sure that none of them is infected. So I think it is safe to say that any malware alerts occuring with new program versions are false alarms.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:24 AM, Asmodeuss said:

Bitdefender also blocks the exe

Submitted as "false positive" to Bitdefender.