Sign in to follow this  
Sir Arowhun

Improve wikipedia page

This could be better: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Wurm_Online

If you are good at using Wikipedia, you should add better images and such to make it look better. This page is old and makes the game look like noone plays it anymore. This would help wurm to grow faster. ;)

EDIT: This is about the Wikipedia page on Wurm Online, not the Wurmpedia.

EDIT: Someone updated the picutres. Now the page needs the Wurm logo and more written information. To write stuff in Wikipedia, we need sources for everything. Please reply with links to articles on Wurm written by people that are not affiliated with Code Club AB. The more recent, the better.

Edited by Sir Arowhun

Honestly, I've never fiddled with wikipedia before, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to learn! I'll see what I can do (keep in mind it certainly won't be instant).

Honestly, I've never fiddled with wikipedia before, but that doesn't mean I'm not willing to learn! I'll see what I can do (keep in mind it certainly won't be instant).

That page definately needs work - I'm sure you could spruce it up. Find some good reviews on the game and put them on that page instead.

Also, Notch has a Wikipedia page yet Rolf does not. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markus_Persson

I think it would be really good for us as players and for potenital new players to find out a bit about Rolf... and yes, give him a wikipedia page x)

My suggestions for sprucing up the current Wurm page would be to talk about how "players are free to build whatever they desire in this medieval-era sandbox MMO." Also say how "the game is often praised for its broad range of in-game opportunities (cite to a good review) and the endless possibilities for the player."

Probably a good idea to talk about the differences that the game has with other games. Lastly, say how the player numbers have been rising over the past few years and especially after the introduction of the new Epic PvP world (cite some server data graphs.)

It all depends. There are wikis with good graphics and a pretty layout and a huge time of loading. Additionally Ads lengthen the download time.

The wiki we have actually is loading fast and it has a good overview. I like it as it is.

It all depends. There are wikis with good graphics and a pretty layout and a huge time of loading. Additionally Ads lengthen the download time.

The wiki we have actually is loading fast and it has a good overview. I like it as it is.

"However, overall it failed to keep the reviewer's attention, feeling that MUD-style text-based combat has been eclipsed by modern MMORPGs.[7]"

How is that a good wiki page? :o

I think its important to at least add some nice pics and more appealing info. I dont necessarily like ppl deeding right on top of me but it would be nice to have more players in the game... maybe more servers in our future? Would be great if Rolf had more money to do get some of these other updates coming out. Wheres our multistory houses?

I think you are confused at what this topic is about. Please read before posting.

I think in his mind hes seeing flashy graphics and videos post all over, his reason for talking about things that slow up the loading of a page... Correct me if im wrong aelfred but I imagine he just wants to make sure it isnt over done which will then make it impractical or just a pain to use. We have enough ppl not using it as it is. A valid point imo

A link to send suggestions for update would be great. If people could email someone with a discrepancy might not be a bad idea.

i believe the thread is about updating the wikipedia entry, not changing the wurmpedia to be more like it :P

I agree that the wikipedia entry could use a little love (especially some nice landscape shots, perhaps someone has a good example of before/after to show how much effect players can have). However don't try to make it all positive, because then it just looks like a marketing piece - occasional, legitimate negatives make for a balanced and believable wikipedia entry.

"However, overall it failed to keep the reviewer's attention, feeling that MUD-style text-based combat has been eclipsed by modern MMORPGs.[7]"

Well, you accept others opinions, i accept mine.

I think you are confused at what this topic is about. Please read before posting.

I don't care what you think. You stated your opinion about the wiki, i stated mine.

I think in his mind hes seeing flashy graphics and videos post all over, his reason for talking about things that slow up the loading of a page

No, he just read of a wished makeup the threadopener mentioned and this makeup would come with a socalled "better appearance" and this means more graphical data to load, its a logical thing. If you have nice and neat colours so everyone feels comfortable it uses up more bandwith then a clear and white background.

i believe the thread is about updating the wikipedia entry, not changing the wurmpedia to be more like it :P

If you are good at using wikipedia, you should add better images and such to make it look better. This page is old and makes the game look like noone plays it anymore.

No, he just read of a wished makeup the threadopener mentioned and this makeup would come with a socalled "better appearance" and this means more graphical data to load, its a logical thing. If you have nice and neat colours so everyone feels comfortable it uses up more bandwith then a clear and white background.

A properly optimised webpage should be no larger than 2mb in size. If done well, that page can be as complicated as you like - e.g. background images and plenty of other on-page images would easily come under 2mb if done correctly. As a large percentage of the worlds countrys have internet speeds of more than 2mb/s, a more fancy Wikipedia page wouldn't do any harm ;)

It's more about the servers than the page as loading times go. Server speed is often the "limiting factor" - but as Wikipedia is the world's 5th most visited website I guess their servers will be good and load times won't be bad. Think about how many very long Wikipedia pages there are and how they still load well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nations

That page took 3.97s to load fully on a 10mb/s connection with my ISP. That page is huge... and for the record, people with average connection speeds start to "give up" on loading webpages after 8 seconds.

(Sources: I develop websites.)

How did you even find that page >.>  for me the default links all lead to http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

and it seems formatted and concise enough as is.

WIKIpedia. Not WURMpedia.

It's the page that's presented to people who search Wurm Online in the Wikipedia.

The page could show a few screenshots of the beauty of wurm instead just showing two dull looking characters with low terrain texture or a purposly ugly looking screenshot of the outdated GUI.

There were a couple of great receptions over the last years. Adding those to the list would be great too.

The Wikipedia pages are supposed to be informational only and not be evangelical and pure advertisment pages but there's no need to have the page say "dull game, don't bother" either.

The development section should have something about the introduction of new servers at least.

My wiki account can't post images, so someone who has gained that ability should do it. It needs the Wurm title image at least. Also, before edits are made someone official has to give permission because of copyright laws. It would be nice of a dev posted it here.  ;)

If an subject doesn't show negative view towards it, its an advertisment. Articles have to show all sides equally in order to meet Wikipedia's standards. Here are the basic rules: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:VRS.

EDIT: and here http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Five_pillars

Well from my perspective before I started playing, I read the Wikipedia entry and I nearly cancelled the 100MB download for WURM. If I knew there was another 100MB download coming up after installing, I would not have started the download in the first place. I think everyone here has made some valid points, but the Wikipedia entry does not paint a realistic picture of WURM. The Wiki starts describing details of the game mechanics without first giving the game a general overview. Here is how I would describe the game:

Wurm Online is a Skill-based sandbox MMO where players are able to build medieval style villages from almost nothing, while developing their character's skills and inventory. The openness of the game allows players to experience a variety of playing styles from Large PVP Kingdoms, Small helpful villages through to Solo pioneering Homesteads. Villages themselves vary widely from Inland Agriculture, Seaside port towns, Mountainous Forts to Mysterious Hideaways. The majority of skills are for crafting the multitude of tools and equipment needed to survive the sometimes harsh environment. The combat system is also skill based and requires a number of strategic decisions to survive either the native animals or enemy players. Most resources are not infinite and must be collected from the natural environment, but modifications like mines and farms are necessary to access many important player generated resources. Thus you cannot survive alone while specializing in one skill area.

Finding your way at the beginning of the game can be extremely challenging due to the complexity of the crafting system, the deliberate lack of accurate map information and many villages baring access to resources. Access to fast transport is not available until Horse Riding and Ship Commanding abilities are properly trained and you have the resources to build or buy the necessary equipment. With time it can be an extremely rewarding game if you are prepared to overcome many hurdles.

The Wiki is in dire need of an update on many fronts.

Well, I updated the images of the player models and user interfaces. We'll see how long they stay up until the copywrite status is challenged by a edit bot or wiki editor with waaaaay too much time on their hands.

It should probably give a small overview of the different server clusters, and their main purposes. New players often seem very confused as to how the different servers work.

I think that 'players are able to build their own ships and set sail to the seas' or something along this line should be added as well. IMO I think that is just one of wurm's more impressive features. I wont get into how very much it could be improved, here, though.

The wiki tells almost nothing about the game aside from a quick little review that you could easily gain just as much info from the wurm site itself. And thanks to whomever updates it for us, it is much needed.

Hi,

IMHO updating http://en.wikipedia....iki/Wurm_Online should be done by someone savvy with the Wikipedia customs, or in collaboration with one of the editors there. Any amateur editing might easily cause the suspect of advertisement.

For any images/ other media the explicit permission of Rolf would be required.

A better article would be desirable, it seems very outdated.

Have a good time!