Sign in to follow this  
whykillme

Patch 17 April - PVE Side

Lockable boat trailers would be another solution that would work. Would look really awesome if people could drag a boat across the land on a trailer too (using horses ofc.) :)

with the boat visible?

a 4-8 horse train hauling a caravel. i'd do it daily.

+1

+1

A horse team of 8 horses would be amazing. However, you know they used to roll ships on logs in the past and we have a great deal of logs in wurm :P.

In approximately two weeks you will no longer be able to create larger items inside smaller ones. You will receive warnings about this in order to encourage you to change behaviour.

How will this go with boat creaters? Will boats be stolen more often now just before they get finished?

What if someone is standing just outside your deed, and hopping on the last second to finish YOUR boat and gain owner?

Build a shipyard next to water.  You receive a writ.  This is a permanent structure (for as long as you want it to be permanent).  When the boats are finished, you can push them to water (anchored and moored) in one action.  Build one boat at a time, regardless of size.

Or, when you start building a ship, it creates a construction site and you receive a writ.  When the boat is finished, the construction site and writ are both destroyed automatically.  (Similar effect should happen with a tower)

Normal decay damage applies in both situations.

as long as the land is less than 2-3 dirts above the water line, a boat can be drug on it, after that you get the message "the boat gets stuck on the ground, similar to the message you get when dragging a cart into deep water.

you cannot currently use the push or pull commands to move anything through a gate, or house door, and that includes boats.

Horrible idea.

Why would i want to stand in a 1x1 shack for 10 hours building a boat and see nothing but the wall ???

I liked your solution with 35 dirt into sealevel gates more.

I like the gates more as well, but you can do the house idea right now, without having to have any code changed. Since its sometimes hard to tell what will get added and how quickly, the 1x1 building to secure the boat is a viable option for the time being.

THIS many Freedom players who have a boat building problem, and NONE of them seem to know that you can drag a boat across land at level 0 (sea level) and still be able to build a gate and store the boat in there?

Well, now you do. Secure shipyard right there, there's several of them on Epic that I've seen. The only problem is being unable to sail it in/out but that's pretty unrelated.

I like the gates Spell suggested.  However, I see all sorts of griefing with them.  So many canals will be closed off.  Most of the canals are not deeded so anyone could put a gate up.

As a person who raids a lot, I shant be following too many people through a series of doors, just so I can get off a hit or two. One minute is not a lot of time before the door relocks. A see this working for both sides of an engagement. People will have to be on their toes now when trying to stick and move.

Oh yeah... for those who were not playing at the time, I had personally witnessed just such an act.

During the Syphilis battle in Goldv1, the BL unlocked a gatehouse door in an attempt to lure someone inside. It was a resounding success (for the BL). The WL attack's two main leaders were suckered in, isolated, and ganked.

THIS many Freedom players who have a boat building problem, and NONE of them seem to know that you can drag a boat across land at level 0 (sea level) and still be able to build a gate and store the boat in there?

Well, now you do. Secure shipyard right there, there's several of them on Epic that I've seen. The only problem is being unable to sail it in/out but that's pretty unrelated.

lots of people have mentioned it, but not everyone has the body str to drag the larger ships, so some other ideas are being tossed about.

If I build a larger building at sealevel with the new doubledoors, can I drag thru those doors a larger ship such as cog/corbita/knarr/caravel?  If not, could we request the new double doors can accommodate dragging ships into outside water as well as horse-pulling carts.   For me, that would solve possibly an issue with the change disallowing boats to be built inside carts. Of course, not everyone is in a position to be able to build a new building at sea level to handle the change, but for me at least this might work.

Another option would be Torgrim's suggestion -- a lockable sled that one can hook 4 horses to for dragging oversized items of various sorts. It would have a much larger capacity than a large cart, but it would be VERY SLOW and not really appropriate for most "cart type work". However it could haul 100 felled trees, large boats, a large amount of floorboards/reinforcement beams/stone slabs, keels and masts, and other things that do not really fit into carts. Pulleys or something to hoist onto them heavy items.

Crew+With+A+Loaded+Sled.jpglogging_sled_coffee_table.jpg  Horse-drawn-sleigh.jpg

you an DRAG a ship through a normal door as long as the ground is at water level.

the problem is that you cant use push/pull to get anything into or out of a gate or houseplan.

english is not may native language, so i beg your pardon in advance for my bad english.

what i didn't see that anyone mentioned, is, that every solution with gates / shipyards / houses on waterlevel depends on a place on the shore of the sea.

that limits the posssibility of boatbuilding to those people, who have such a place.

i live a 10-minute-ride from a shore of the sea away - and till yet i could easily build my boats on a cart, drive it to the shore and let it there in the water. with this change i cannot build ships anymore (at least big ships) without moving. :(

so the only convenient solution for me would be the following or something like it:

Lockable boat trailers would be another solution that would work. Would look really awesome if people could drag a boat across the land on a trailer too (using horses ofc.) :)

with the boat visible?

a 4-8 horse train hauling a caravel. i'd do it daily.

+1

Didn't Wild also tend to have shipyards hidden in the mountains? yet another viable solution which has been time tested and proven already.........Would be nice to have an open close animation on mine doors for this use however....

Also liking the gate idea...Toll Canals anyone :) especially if they have permissions...else a new key every month...copies sold to canal users? Many possibilities there!

wurm201204191318.jpg

you an DRAG a ship through a normal door as long as the ground is at water level.

the problem is that you cant use push/pull to get anything into or out of a gate or houseplan.

Which sucks when you are trying to steal a ship >.>

So, basically after this change hits everyone who wants to build a boat is going to have to do it along the shore somewhere. Makes me very glad that I don't have a place near the water.

Still no answer as to why this change is being made but rumor has it that it's simply to stop ppl from being able to arrive for battle with an almost complete catapult in a cart.

Another nerf to pve that has nothing to do with pve.

If the problem is catapults then why not simply stop pults from being able to be built in a cart? Why change a whole range of things for one simple change that only needs to happen on the pvp server anyway?

I don't really understand the catapult argument, since an unfinished catapult missing only a rope weighs like 100kg. Unless Rolf makes it so unfinished items cannot fit inside anything at all, this update will do fuckall. It is only hurting shipbuilders, nothing else

for catas, really?

whatever.

everyone, take the catapult unfinished into inventory.

then drop it once you step off the knarr in enemy territory.

or at the enemy location, on horseback 100kg isnt much weight.

Yeah. this is aimed at shipbuilders.  too many loophole workaround for the catapult situation. (and I can't figure any other situation, off the top of my head right now.)

Wish there were reasons attached to various nerfs, an explanation of Rolf's line of reasoning for the decisions made.

one or two extra sentences of clarification can settle hours of argumentation.

Wish there were reasons attached to various nerfs, an explanation of Rolf's line of reasoning for the decisions made.  one or two extra sentences of clarification can settle hours of argumentation.

This is why I'm thankful for Zcul engaging the players in discussion on the forums instead of just a select few on IRC.

Wish there were reasons attached to various nerfs, an explanation of Rolf's line of reasoning for the decisions made.  one or two extra sentences of clarification can settle hours of argumentation.

This is why I'm thankful for Zcul engaging the players in discussion on the forums instead of just a select few on IRC.

+1

edit:

Communication is such an important part of any successful venture.

Lockable trailers would rock... what about those of us who don't live exactly next to the sea?  :-\

Alternative would be to "plant" unfinished boats x)

Lockable trailers would rock... what about those of us who don't live exactly next to the sea?  :-\

Alternative would be to "plant" unfinished boats x)

+1

It is only hurting shipbuilders, nothing else

Most "professional shipbuiilders" are probably already based on the waterfront someplace, so this is likely a major hassle for them but not insurmountable for most. It hurts most people who do not already live on the water, but want to keep a ship or two that they build themselves.  My guess is that this was aimed at various complaints about "Wurm Logic" and mini-exploits with people building 100 satchels/frypans in a backpack etc. I think building boats in a large cart and then "popping" them out at shore is actually very logical. Only on the very largest ships, does the logic start to bend, and then only by a little. If a team of horses can haul a wagon filled with heavy rock, they should also be able to haul a cart with an unfinished sailboat or even a cog. I would like to see some sort of solution implemented that covers shipbuilding.  Or have shipbuilding be exempted from the change, and let players continue using secured carts for this purpose if it was not the intent of the change to stop this practice.

What is the advice we can give to new players trying to make their first rowboat? Can anyone explain to me how a new player can secure a rowboat project if they have road access to a harbor but do not actually own a waterfront deed?

Honestly I don't think anyone is going to have an answer for you Brash because there isn't one. This change will hit new players hard since they don't have the skills to build even a rowboat quickly and they generally don't have the money or skills to either buy a boat or barter for a spot to safely build one. They generally don't have in game friends with waterfront deeds either so really they'll have no option other than to slap a shack down near water to build in or to build ashore and drag/push the boat to water. (I'm not even sure if the average noob has enough strength to move a rowboat or small sailboat over land any distance.)

My bet is that we'll start to see 1x shacks popping up along the coast in any & every spot available. Of course given the recent changes to fishing idk how a noob is suppose to feed himself from fishing anyway. It seems we're making it harder for new players while making it easier for established players.

If the intent of this change isn't specifically toward boats then I think they should be exempt. Allow ppl to continue to build them in carts. This change benefits no one other than perhaps ship builders.

Honestly I don't think anyone is going to have an answer for you Brash because there isn't one. This change will hit new players hard since they don't have the skills to build even a rowboat quickly and they generally don't have the money or skills to either buy a boat or barter for a spot to safely build one. They generally don't have in game friends with waterfront deeds either so really they'll have no option other than to slap a shack down near water to build in or to build ashore and drag/push the boat to water. (I'm not even sure if the average noob has enough strength to move a rowboat or small sailboat over land any distance.)

My bet is that we'll start to see 1x shacks popping up along the coast in any & every spot available. Of course given the recent changes to fishing idk how a noob is suppose to feed himself from fishing anyway. It seems we're making it harder for new players while making it easier for established players.

If the intent of this change isn't specifically toward boats then I think they should be exempt. Allow ppl to continue to build them in carts. This change benefits no one other than perhaps ship builders.

Funnily enough I recently gave a noob a temporary invite to my deed, just so he could build his boat safely.

I fed him, gave him the logs, rope, lock and anchor to build his boat and some 20/25 potency healing covers and cotton incase he ran into trouble.

He ended up finishing the boat, then running off with a few cartloads of things from my bsb / unplanted lamps I had spare.

I guess this leads me to think that there should be an option to disable looting on deeds. Maybe then more people would help the new players, as there would be no risk to their possesions.