Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

(A suggestion) Getting rid of "activate:"

This could work. But I'd rather be able to equip armor faster.

You could keep the old system but put up a weapon/shield slot maybe near the fight box thing. So it shows up when you fight.

FAIL. -1 wont work for pvp and will screw over older players. If your having issue understanding how to activate right away, learn to read the tutorial.

Jikes ok I feel i got owned, back to the drawing table :)

- How to handle liquids like water, when using water on something (Examples?)

Activating a container with water=activate water inside, activate container with water second time=activate container

- How to handle stacks of items, and containers with contents (seeds)

I think everything works good now.

- How to handle pottery, equipping your own hand.

Just make pottery not use hand, like repairing.

- Toolbelt; Activating an item from there would actually move it to your hand.

For me this is bad idea.

Is this a joke thread?

You seriously have people out there that can't figure out the "activate" system of doing things in this game?

I would hate to have to equip anything and everything that i wanted to use every time.

Why don't you guys spend your time looking through the suggestions section and picking out some of the most wanted features and work on them? I thought that is why it was there was to see what the community wanted to see in the game.

You see the guy coming at you, he's wearing plate. So you want to double click the maul in your inventory and its equipped after a small delay. Now maul is showing in your right hand on the fightwindow slot and your sword is in your inventory.

Now someone attacks. You will see youself swinging a shovel at the guy (animation!) and realise you need a better weapon. But which weapon? Aha this guy is wearing chain so you select sword (or whatever).

>Multiple items weapons in inventory

>Visible armor

>Animations

ambdoo.gif

How can someone be confused about having to activate an item to use it?

I don't think this needs changing at all, spend your time on something thats actually worth it instead of changing something thats not broken.

this,

if anything just makes it more frustrating lol.

The only way to improve the system would be to not have to activate anything at all. If you have the item in the inventory you can perform the action by right click dig, create or w/e. Leave pvp alone, what is in your hand you attack with and it must be manually placed in the hand. To solve the issue of wanting to use say a coc or woa tool for a job leave in the activate option as an override. "smart inventory"

This doesn't seem like the most necessary change to me. The activate system works, as a noob I didn't have a hard time with it. I don't particularly like the way weapons are equipped though.

Was there a huge, major benefit to the code for making this change?  If so, I'm sure something could be worked out to make it happen and not be cumbersome (or annoying) for the players.

If it was just newbies not understanding how to activate items, the tutorial should address it better.  As mentioned, you can't get through the tutorial if you can't figure this out.  You have to activate items multiple times to pass the tutorial steps.

The current system is easy to use and understand keep the current system.

Don't 'fix' it, it isn't broken.  The system works fine as it is, takes about an hour at worst to figure it out.  Took me longer to figure out how digging worked; kept pointing at things to dig not realizing I was digging where I stood.

Glad this was posted as a suggestion. And, likewise, glad it was rejected by most people. :P

Disclaimer:

• I don't currently play
  • When I first played, it was when PCGamer (UK) did an article on it - I can't remember when that was
  • I only stopped playing due to available time (and for playing it waaaaay to much - I like Wurm)

So with that out the way, I don't think any system or sub-system of Wurm should be changed so as to alter the concept / lifestyle of Wurm.  It is a hard game to play; that is the draw. 

To simplify it may increase the potential player-base, but it would dilute the quality of the player-base.

To (mostly) quote a loading screen quote:

"Wurm isn't about wilderness survival; it's about trying to survive in the wilderness and then getting eaten by a bear."

Treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen.

Laxxor

(Formerly of Hillside Hideout village)

Using 'activate' is probably the most intuitive part of the UI, wouldn't want it changed.

(I mean really? Selecting the thing that you want to use isn't obvious? Are these the kind of people that drive into lakes because their sat-nav told them to?)

Although I'd like the bind to wield command just for switching weapons/armour in a rush.

Hi,

I would like to know your opinion on getting rid of the "activate:" feature of Wurm. It's something that is confusing newbies; - It took me a good while when I first tried out wurm to understand what was going on with that Activate: thing!

Basically, I'm thinking of always have whatever is in your right hand as your active item, and along those lines we would also add bindable keys for wield_right_hand, wield_left_hand, equip_as_shield which would be very nice for the pvp crowd I think.

Things that need to be considered for this is

- How to handle liquids like water, when using water on something (Examples?)

- How to handle stacks of items, and containers with contents (seeds)

- How to handle pottery, equipping your own hand.

- Toolbelt; Activating an item from there would actually move it to your hand.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated on this.

Sure why not lets try it...on the test server first please :)

Jikes ok I feel i got owned, back to the drawing table :)

Well it's nice to have someone who can actually implement these things come up with new stuff and it's even nicer if they listen to community feedback like this, so just keep trying to come up with ideas :P

FAIL. -1 wont work for pvp and will screw over older players. If your having issue understanding how to activate right away, learn to read the tutorial.

simple fix, if you have said item in inventory it is able to be used without activation like double clicking or "moving" to the right hand.

unless there is a complete re-write of how the client is and how the gui is then this imo is the only way to improve on crafting abilities of wurm

Problem that this entails is what if I have say 2 hatchets, one high ql, one low ql with high coc and I want to use a different hatchet at different times? The client has no way of knowing what I want to do and would always choose a certain tool everytime.

I think the suggestion itself is a good one, but perhaps needs a little bit more thought in how it would be executed. Things such as building towers etc could be changed without needing activation, perhaps the order you place items in your inventory is the order they are used in? Would only require a quick search on the inv arraylist to find the appropriate tool and use it? To automate as many things as possible would be best imo. Zcul, if you want any help devising a system that uses what I have suggested, just let me know and I can think what I can come up with :)

I'm happy with things as they are now, but if you MUST change things, i would go with a system where having the item in your inventory will give u the option (without having to activate), and if you want to specify which item u want to attach/use then u activate it, and it's given top priority.

Double click to activate. How is that hard.  Why need to change it?  I think coding could be put to better use.

It ain't broke please don't fix it. 

Problem that this entails is what if I have say 2 hatchets, one high ql, one low ql with high coc and I want to use a different hatchet at different times? The client has no way of knowing what I want to do and would always choose a certain tool everytime.

I agree with the above quote and, to be honest, I think it is a little too late in the life of Wurm to be implementing such a change. I honestly do not think it is all that confusing and is actually a rather quick way of doing things. And besides, just imagine how many hot keys you would have to bind for all your armor and weapons and tools? And if the only keybind is double clicking then what was the change made for in the first place? So -1 for me.

One of the worst I've seen on these forums. Should be scrapped before you posted about it, honestly.
Woah, calm down, you sound like it's already in the game. This is Zcul trying to find opinions on something before working on it. Not to say I don't agree with you though as far as the idea goes, I'm fully against it for the various reasons already stated. It's great how we can be using an item to dig/mine/whatever, and yet when something attacks us, we use our weapon. Changing this will only frustrate.

I havent read many posts, if you posted a work around for this then my apologies for being lazy,

This would prevent you being able to stack imping actions of multiple tools. When bulk smithing some people have to imp with a whetstone on one item, and pelt on another. You will start to imp the item with the whetstone, then you will activate/wield the pelt to imp the second tool, this would probably cancel out the first action since you are now wielding a pelt and not a whetstone?

I will agree with the large portion of posts, if it isn't broken, don't fix it & it only takes XX time to work out the mechanic.

I agree that it is good as it is. If anything needs to be done then make it clearer in the tutorial. Now you can spend all that time you saved working on bridges ;)