Sign in to follow this  
Zcul

(A suggestion) Getting rid of "activate:"

I only read the OP post...

This seems like we would just rename the current "Activate" with "hold in right hand".  I don't play with my body open and we need a way to quickly see what's held. If we kept using the green highlight that would work ok. Although, many games I have played follow the approach of "double click to use". I question how hard it is to teach this concept since its used so often. If you want to really simplify the system could take a look at RuneScape. In that game you just click a resource node and the game automatically searches and uses the proper tool(...looks around for the flaming hardcore dudes).

Hold_right_hand Item manipulation

Hold_right_hand_TOOL1 Toolbelt

Hold_right_hand_TOOL2 Toolbelt

Hold_right_hand_TOOL3 Toolbelt

ect...

"- How to handle liquids like water, when using water on something (Examples?)

- How to handle stacks of items, and containers with contents (seeds)"

Hold the container and the first object inside is used for the action.

"- How to handle pottery, equipping your own hand."

In a way the hand is equipped by default, do you need to do anything?

"- Toolbelt; Activating an item from there would actually move it to your hand."

Instantaneously right?

I still think a "smart" inventory system would be best. If it is in your inventory you can perform the action. You can still activate an item manually which would override the auto use (so you can use a coc or woa tool if more than one is in your inventory). No change to weapons, it has to be manually put in your hand.

I still think a "smart" inventory system would be best. If it is in your inventory you can perform the action.

A Wurmer who thinks like me, oh my goodness!  Example: Go up to a iron vein, right click to open menue, choose mine, the game checks for the proper tool, the game sets the default action (left click) with mine_forward, your toon starts to mine forward. Then from that point on you just have to left click to what you did last again. If you want say mine up, use the menue again, and your left click action will be changed to mine up.

This would probably be the most abominable, painful, tedious change to the game mechanics ever. In all honesty, I can't fathom how the activate feature came off as confusing... Maybe I'm a natural born gamer, but double clicking something has always been the general "use this" function to me.

If we put in my suggestion you can still do that or just walk up right click and do the action :D

That would be problematic, because all gui interaction requires left click.

Imagine you just want to open inventory, but click a tad to low, accidentally repeat digging down... on your only four fields of cotton.

Something like that would be nice though, maybe a keybind for repeat last action?

Automatically activating an appropriate item, only when nothing, or the wrong one is active, Would also please a lot of players and help noobs, without changing anything on the current system.

The OP's suggestion is simply unnecessary and unneeded. The activate system works fine as it is and takes minimal time for new players to learn the concept. No need to spend any time coding a whole new system for being able to use different tools, ect, as the time would be much better spent fixing existing problems in the code.

=Ayes=

The OP's suggestion is simply unnecessary and unneeded. The activate system works fine as it is and takes minimal time for new players to learn the concept. No need to spend any time coding a whole new system for being able to use different tools, ect, as the time would be much better spent fixing existing problems in the code.

Jikes ok I feel i got owned, back to the drawing table :)

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.  There is currently nothing wrong with the activation system.  The only way to improve it would be an inventory read code that didn't make you activate anything unless there were multiple objects in your inventory that could do whatever action you are trying to perform.  For example, if I'm building a stone wall that can use a hammer or mallet and I have both in my inventory then I would need to activate which one to use.  But, if I only had a mallet then no activation would be required, just click the tile border and build.  Things like imping, say I have all my blacksmithing tools in my inventory and a barrel of water, perhaps (because of difficulty of coding) I would still need to activate the water when tempering but the other tools would be automatically used if I clicked to improve and item that required that tool.  This would make improving stacks of items much simpler as you could just click "improve" on the stack and it would improve the first 3 items (or however many your queues allow) with whichever tool was needed. 

That's my 2 iron.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.  There is currently nothing wrong with the activation system.  The only way to improve it would be an inventory read code that didn't make you activate anything unless there were multiple objects in your inventory that could do whatever action you are trying to perform.  For example, if I'm building a stone wall that can use a hammer or mallet and I have both in my inventory then I would need to activate which one to use.  But, if I only had a mallet then no activation would be required, just click the tile border and build.  Things like imping, say I have all my blacksmithing tools in my inventory and a barrel of water, perhaps (because of difficulty of coding) I would still need to activate the water when tempering but the other tools would be automatically used if I clicked to improve and item that required that tool.  This would make improving stacks of items much simpler as you could just click "improve" on the stack and it would improve the first 3 items (or however many your queues allow) with whichever tool was needed. 

That's my 2 iron.

And if nobody posted here for 2 weeks dont bump it. Zcul said this isnt going to happen.

That's my 2 iron.