Sign in to follow this  
skyefox

New Crop Graphics

If you don't like it, beat sand and get used to it just like everyone else..  honestly at every single miniscule change there are people who have to gripe on the forums just because they don't think something looks right.

That's the amazing thing about humans, we can adapt to almost anything.  If I buy a new sofa, I might realize I don't really like it at first, but give it a couple weeks and it feels completely normal to me.  Same thing with game mechanics and graphis!

The new graphics are much better than the generic crop type we had before.  change, and this was a good one.  It is NOT hard to tell ripe from unripe, you just have to learn the new graphics.

Wrong, it is hard for me to tell. You have no right to tell me what to think nor do you have the ability fairly judge what I'm seeing. Its fine its easy for you. But don't run around trying to pretend that you can fairly comprehend what others are experiencing. Frankly your another one of those players that likes to tell others how to play and what to think, and I respond, mind your own business.

I like that every crop have different model but i dont like the models themselves. Why are they 2D?

Crops have always been sprites. I shudder at the thought of my framerates in the middle of a 250 tile farm if they were all 3D...

The new graphics are much better than the generic crop type we had before.  change, and this was a good one.  It is NOT hard to tell ripe from unripe, you just have to learn the new graphics.

Wrong, it is hard for me to tell. You have no right to tell me what to think nor do you have the ability fairly judge what I'm seeing. Its fine its easy for you. But don't run around trying to pretend that you can fairly comprehend what others are experiencing. Frankly your another one of those players that likes to tell others how to play and what to think, and I respond, mind your own business.

just say u can't ... see when crops are ripe but don't say u don't like new patch because of that,that's plain wrong,ppl have expected this for a while and is realy welcomed patch,it almost makes me start farmin just to see the crops in my village,no1 is tellin u how to play but u tryin to get the old model back is telling others they should play with the old model too. all this needs is the examine option to show ripe status even at 1 farming skill.askin for stupid things like seeing what is ripe and what not at 50 tiles away is just plain idiocy.

v89iR.jpg

Finally got a good pic to prove my point. I can tell that the crops one or two tiles in front are ripe but after that its not clear. With the old crop graphics I could see ripeness all they way out to where the crops start to fade out, or 4 to 5 tiles away.

The tile in the bottom right is ripe wemp.

complaing # 2...with the old system it was clear what plants are in the first and second stage of ripeness. I used to wait till their was a good mixture of second and first stage ripe plants so I could get most of them in one harvest. Now I can't tell at all between the two ripe stages.

I sure would be useful if one of these would be implemented.

1. option to use the old crop graphics (Mr. B's masterpiece).

2. crops don't turn to weeds anymore if not harvested right away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-sJSg35Yvo

I would still love an option to turn off crops going transparent at 4+ tiles away...

Just don't know what else to say to a stubborn one such as you.  I do have a way to judge what you are seeing, you showed a pic, and I detailed how well it showed the differences, as opposed to your cry of it all is the same now.  There is simply no way to get me to get you to open your eyes and see.  If you choose to not comprehend I cannot make you start thinking.  So stay in the dark and remain unenlightened.

v89iR.jpg

Finally got a good pic to prove my point. I can tell that the crops one or two tiles in front are ripe but after that its not clear. With the old crop graphics I could see ripeness all they way out to where the crops start to fade out, or 4 to 5 tiles away.

Thats a lot of cannabis.  Damned hippy!

I can see the color difference in that picture. Probably not too friendly to people with color blindness though.

I can see the color difference in that picture. Probably not too friendly to people with color blindness though.

It's probably the ripe strawberry plants that will be tough for color blind players... since it will be harder for them to spot the red against green. I think they will have less issue with wemp & others.

I don't know about strawberries, but i have no trouble with wemp, cotton, corn, oats, rye. you might be surprised how rarely colourblindness actually causes trouble with things like this (and yes im red-green colourblind) :)

I can understand the color-blind issues, but my point about the picture included the fact that the different stages are also apparent by the height and leafiness of each stage.  Many players are used to the single crop type and it's stages, but the new specific types all have visible stages to them too.  The players upset are having trouble with the idea of having to learn 12 crop types and their stages.  I find it refreshing and fun, seems more real now.  Farming has been quite boring for a long time.

"I find it refreshing and fun, seems more real now.  Farming has been quite boring for a long time." - Vroomfondel

I completely agree with Vroomfondel on the new crop graphics.  I am treating the situation as an old feature getting a fresh look.  My village farmer who was slowly slipping away from his chosen focus because of the ever monotonous search for overgrown grass weeds with greenish-yellow tops to start harvesting has now become actively hunting for the new graphic crops to harvest.

I can understand where new players or vets who knew the old graphics system but never got into farming until just before the graphic change might have an issue.  To them, I would just treat the new graphics as a new puzzle to solve out. Something different and engaging even as something as farm crop graphics keeps people from the boredom.

v89iR.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw&ob=av3e

v89iR.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeYsTmIzjkw&ob=av3e

oh yeah that seems to be the problem with some ppl posting here:P

absolutely love the new crop graphics. They are a massive improvement.

Would be a big advance if they didn't turn invisible on a north/south axis though. I'm not saying deploy complex 3d models, maybe just an extra plane or two...

Just harvested a bunch of stuff from my fields because i thought they where ripe. Lost them all, they weren't ready, even though the "wheat" looking crop was already yellow. That's how confusing it can get. In any case...

I'll try to lvl my farming as fast as i can and when i have the ability to examine and tell exactly the situation of my crops, I'll try to update the wiki or just post here with screenshots. The guessing game is fun and all, but I for one would have needed some definite clear comparison of stages to accurately know when I won't waste my crops while harvesting.

You'd think you'd stop after one tile if you didn't get anything back, rather than harvesting a bunch.

Budda: Well, I did only harvest 4  different crops, and did that to mainly confirm my doubts.

Ago: Thank you so much :) helps quite a lot

In most of the cases, the visual "cue" you are looking for is some sort of bud or flower that did not exist in the previous stages. 

So the difference is not just the plant being a little taller or bigger, but that a new bud/flower/ear appears for the first time. Corn is a little tricky as it adds a tassel first, then the actual ear after that.

In any case, it sounds like you are currently harvesting two per tile? So eight s lost; a pain when you are just starting out but probably the last time that mistake will happen.