Sign in to follow this  
Touchmee

Repeat last action

dont see what this has to do with macroing? if people are gonna macro sadly they will nothing can stop them they find ways to macro everything, half the game is already able to bed done with 1 button yet the harder more anoying things arent? dont see why macroing should even be mentioned since 99% of players dont macro and its aimed at them people....

+1 please implement "repeat last action" or "create last item" keybind, this would make Wurm less time consuming as we could create large quantities of an item more easily.  :-\

+1 to OP

Macroers and cheaters are going to do what they want regardless of how difficult you make the menus. That's up to Rolf and his admins to catch that kind of activity.

Punishing legit players by making them go through 3 semi-randomized menus to get what they want to create is not the way to go about it.

Usability is one of the reasons this game isn't more popular and you folks are really only shooting yourselves in the foot by arguing against better usability.

This ^

Implementing this suggestion might save a macroer a minute in writing their bot... it will save all of the honest players countless hours over time. DO IT PLEASE

a big +1 from me.

Ultima Online also had massive macroing/botting issues, especially in its early years. Sure such a keybind would be extremely wrist-saving; however, on the other hand its a pandora's box.

UO's problem wasn't because of last action like tool. A highly skilled hacker consistently updated a utility program that allowed a player to use a robust item finding tool which extracted item id's from the client . If you take away that tool; Then, the client's event macro's for last object and last target aren't nearly as useful anymore. FYI, the same program that's been used for years, the same program EA is afraid to mess with because so many of its players use it, is still going strong today.

In Wurm the randomized position and order stuff was created to fool the programs that just click at a specific location over and over. Things have evolved to the point where programs can search for the same thing your eyes seek out.

A repeat last action option (top of first menu or keybind) will just remove the tedious actions for things like bricks, planks and other creation based items. Improving items, what I believe to be be the most important thing, has already been simplified with keybinds.

+1

and i dont understand how someone can seriously take "hackers" or "macroer" into account. As i can see it, it's actually already possible to "bot" in wurm, but those "bots" gets nothing from it, because they get banned when noticed, also there is the stamina bar and if i remember correctly, you'll get nearly no skillgain when using the empty bar. third: it's about the players! not those who grief! else you could also say, that no one should "own" items cause someone could come by and steal them.....

and i wouldnt mind if we forget about that "repeat last action" thing, if we get a "better" interface which does not change every day :o

and why not bind some actions, if we already can mine and chop and so on.....btw.: most of the stuff needs some othr stuff before we can actually make planks or nails or whatever. getting a keybind which says: last action, will only hold as long as we have the requiered stuff in our inventory.....so where is the problem? bots are already kind of "handeled" in this game, cause there are too many steps to do which are not only pressing button A or B, but instead running from A, cutting B, chopping B, running back with a cart (drag and open inventory)

btw. i would love to have an interface where you dont need to open up bsbs or carts anymore to fill them ^^ and especially dont need to activate a key to open a closed chest or bsb...-.- there is so much stuff that could be done to make life easier for those who play even without giving macroers a better chance to bot o.o

+1, and it got three of my votes on uservoice too :)

Macroers will be macroers and they can already get around the current system easily enough. I do feel the strain when playing Wurm and this is more important to me as a health benefit than being able to "make bricks quicker" etc

+1 !!! Definately one feature this game needs. I've seen another thread somewhere else saying this would need server sided coding. But imho this is ######. The Client sends an action command to the server. The server checks if the command is valid. Nobody will be able to cheat if there is a client side feature that sends the last command again. Server will check again if it's valid and if items are missing, you moved or anything else made the creation of another item impossible it's up to the server to decide that and notify the client afterwards. That's how Client Server communication works.

Macroers and Cheaters won't be too happy about it as well. People with certain keyboards can macro mining easily ... which makes me feel even more miserable about being a fool who sits in front of his computer and presses M every 20 seconds, being bored to hell. And seriously, i have seen people removing the textures of mobs, to use a bot that identifies mobs by the pink color they had without the textures. Really, if they want they'll find a way.

I like that you have to work a lot to get things done. But wurm is just a very bit much of grinding if you want to get big things done. Yes, you can do those things in a group, but how are you going to get a really high Level in your skills ? Right, only pain, pain and more pain.

Edited by Vedurin

Macro'ing is easy. I follow the rules but this is one time that I've wanted to break a game's rules. 6x6 field of cotton, 4x items per harvest, that's 108kg cotton. That's 54kg string, about 180 actions to turn it all into squares. Making string is easy, you can pick up a spindle and you can pick up cotton, and use the menu to do 3x or 4x actions at a time very easily, depending on your mind logic. But you can't pick up a loom. Making string into cloth is every individual action done with a movement through the menus. That's 180 actions that you cannot keybind and cannot make easier.

A macro would be incredibly easy to make. "put mouse at this screen coordinate, move mouse down, move mouse right, move mouse right and down, and click." You may have to update the macro every time you login and/or server reboot, but that's minisculeeffort to simply rearrange the macro settings, and depending on how fancy you make your macro, you could design it to do the adjustments on its own!

I've made macros for tedious games before. It's incredibly, incredibly easy. If you add a repeat button, it makes the macro about 1/2 second faster, but it makes the user about 5 second faster, or whatever. If they're using a macro, this won't really change their macro at all. If they're legit, then this makes it SO MUCH easier for them to anything.

Personally Id rather have a change to the crafting gui, or rather something that abandons crafting menus and windows altogether.

Something more immersive; however, nothing has ever come to mind with Wurm's setup.

Context-sensitive cursors are one possibility. Activate a hammer... click on an unfinished wall... not much to guess what the user wants there. Decisions in creation actions like smithing become complex really fast however.

Touchmee here,

thanks for the comments, ive seen plenty of suggestions like this and i still believe something should be implemented even if its a variation just to make the painful tasks more tolerable, i dont agree that taking on a certain role when in a village should be harder for one person than another.

please keep commenting and maybe rolf might consider something.... who knows hes full of suprises.

I agree with what most people have posted here.

If a person wants to macro... there is really no mechanic you can put in place to stop them. And having a system in place that is so painful to use just pushes those who wouldnt normally macro to macro.

I would be all for a "Last Action" option at the top of the first click menu... however at this point I would also just be happy if the last item you made jumped up to the top of what ever sub list you have to go to.

Rolf and his team have tried numerous things over the years to stop and catch macroers. Some failed and were removed... some stayed. But the way the drop menu happens has been here since the beginning and has not detoured the people that are gonna macro. So I see no point in keeping it at the expense of frustrating the honest players.

Put it in the "failed attempt" pile and lest move on Rolf.

I know I'm new around here and my opinion doesn't matter much yet, but I hope that a keybind like this could be implemented. I don't want to bot or macro or anything, but it would be much more convenient for new players like me if we had a repeat action button. Just trying to make planks for a house is quite a repetative task and I'm willing to bet it gets much worse. While this game is amazing, making it easier to use can be nothing but a benefit.

I don't macro, however, I have seen the anti macro part of the server a couple times..asks a randomish question...sometimes a multiple choice..sometimes other types...

Has ALWAYS been when mashing the 'mine_forward' button repeatedly.

I'm not for a last action button at all...random menu locations and current measures have made it so I personally see far fewer macroers than in most games of this sort...and I'm on at least 16 hrs a day every day.....I think the anti macro solutions therefore have to have had some impact.

Im sure there are some who have written macros, Id also offer there are few......it is human nature to brag if you will somewhere about a macro one has made...searching for 'macros gamename' or 'autoit game name" usually comes up with a string of sites....not so for Wurm and is one reason I began playing...

Simply is illogical to think if it were widespread with wurm someone would not be sharing their 'work'...is the nature of rule breakers to brag somewhere about what they have done....

I don't macro, however, I have seen the anti macro part of the server a couple times..asks a randomish question...sometimes a multiple choice..sometimes other types...

Has ALWAYS been when mashing the 'mine_forward' button repeatedly.

I'm not for a last action button at all...random menu locations and current measures have made it so I personally see far fewer macroers than in most games of this sort...and I'm on at least 16 hrs a day every day.....I think the anti macro solutions therefore have to have had some impact.

Im sure there are some who have written macros, Id also offer there are few......it is human nature to brag if you will somewhere about a macro one has made...searching for 'macros gamename' or 'autoit game name" usually comes up with a string of sites....not so for Wurm and is one reason I began playing...

Simply is illogical to think if it were widespread with wurm someone would not be sharing their 'work'...is the nature of rule breakers to brag somewhere about what they have done....

Well, to be fair, Wurm does have a pretty small player-base compared to most games where macroing is prevalent. In regard to your 'search', actually "Wurm [anything]" comes up with far fewer results than most other games.

I do, however, find it somewhat hard to believe that you searched for things like that before you even began playing and partly based your decision to on that - perhaps a reason you continued playing.. but honestly? a reason why you began playing?

Lastly, it's not exactly logical to conclude that just because people are not sharing their 'work' that it is because of the obviously highly effective anti-macro system. I suppose it's somewhat like all those that used exploits for skill gain coming forward and bragging about it.. I think you'll find a lot of them kept very quiet so as to hope they weren't noticed.

Macro'ing is easy. I follow the rules but this is one time that I've wanted to break a game's rules. 6x6 field of cotton, 4x items per harvest, that's 108kg cotton. That's 54kg string, about 180 actions to turn it all into squares. Making string is easy, you can pick up a spindle and you can pick up cotton, and use the menu to do 3x or 4x actions at a time very easily, depending on your mind logic. But you can't pick up a loom. Making string into cloth is every individual action done with a movement through the menus. That's 180 actions that you cannot keybind and cannot make easier.

A macro would be incredibly easy to make. "put mouse at this screen coordinate, move mouse down, move mouse right, move mouse right and down, and click." You may have to update the macro every time you login and/or server reboot, but that's minisculeeffort to simply rearrange the macro settings, and depending on how fancy you make your macro, you could design it to do the adjustments on its own!

I've made macros for tedious games before. It's incredibly, incredibly easy. If you add a repeat button, it makes the macro about 1/2 second faster, but it makes the user about 5 second faster, or whatever. If they're using a macro, this won't really change their macro at all. If they're legit, then this makes it SO MUCH easier for them to anything.

I agree with this tottaly, Please Rolf, help out your legit player base.

and

+1

Personally, I wouldn't base UI elements and usage of it on if it could be macroed or not. You're just kicking the honest players in the teeth with that, not really stopping those who want to macro stuff. The more complicated something is to do regularly, the larger the gap becomes between the honest people and those who cheat. Remember, a machine doesn't ever get tired of navigating a 5 level deep menu. A human does so, very fast.

This.

Please, please, PLEASE. Implement the OP. How many times must it be requested?

The prevalence of Macroers has already in the past upended the PvP servers before attempts at corrections were made. They have the same effect on the Gilded economy of Freedom. I simply do not see having to navigate level menu's as a significant enough inconvenience to make it even an iota easier for macro's to operate. In a game like this they can, easily, completely collapse both the economy of freedom as well as end the PvP of Epic with automation gets a mainstream foot hold.

I find that scrolling the menus are part of the game, and "repeat button" would break it, so -1 from me.

This is Wurm, and if you are tired of the menus, then don't use them. (Yes, I like that making items/things are hard)

It's retarded this isn't in-game yet. What are we striving for? A greater sense of elitism as we compare our sore wrists?

It's retarded this isn't in-game yet. What are we striving for? A greater sense of elitism as we compare our sore wrists?

too true....

+1 I'd rather suffer through macro bots than get carpel tunnel for a video game.

This won't make macroing any easier than it already is...

It takes 5 seconds to write a basic script to loop actions in Wurm, anything from making nails to building walls, the only person suffering is the legit player.

Edited by Derecho

This won't make macroing any easier than it already is...

It takes 5 seconds to write a basic script to loop actions in Wurm, anything from making nails to building walls, the only person suffering is the legit player.

You've missed the point. Non macroers would be able to use this too. You think they want to make 10000 bricks using the mouse?

If you aren't going to improve the game because you think it would make it too easy for macroers, why even continue developing Wurm. Why not just erase key binds as a whole and piss everyone off. It wont make it any harder for the macroer, but it'll make it annoying for the legitimate player; just like adding a repeat last action key bind would do. It wont make much of a difference for the macroer, but it'll make it a lot nicer for honest players.

This logic is flawless