Sign in to follow this  
nimto

Rebalancing catapults

I'll try to summarize what I've read so far on what you've said Rugg. If I get anything wrong, please let me know.

It seems a lot of your information for wanting a change in this respect is anecdotal and not based on any other personal experience. Even your raid experience is limited to the 3+ times you logged out when people came by to raid you. I wouldn't hang any changes to the way catapults work based on this one guy's inability to understand game mechanics that he hasn't fully explored.

You assume a lot by posting your thoughts on this matter.

I don't have to assume anything.  My thoughts are from my own personal experience.  What else can I base them on?  If I go by some of the things posted here then I would have learned that it takes 10 to 15 min to catapult 10+ walls of high ql.

But let us continue with your thoughts on my thoughts...

As in my first post I awoke to being trapped.  Low ql catapult, 20 ql shards and 50ql walls.  The walls actually ranged from 50 to 80 and they were damaged which also ranged from 20 to 70 damage.  Now since I was not logging the experience lets just go with the walls were 50ql and 50 damage.  I had a 5 to 6 catapult skill at the time.  They went down fast and easily.

Since that time I have had to catapult the rest of the buildings in the area.  So I would say it did give me a pretty good idea of what and how to use a catapult and how long it would take to get to 30.  I am currently at 14.5.  I used shards that were from 20 to 60ql.  It generally took 3 to 6 hits per wall to take them down.  Most of the walls were 50 to 80 ql at 40 to 50 damage some lower some higher.  It took time and sometimes I missed 5 shots or more in a row but the walls went down fast.

Now of course there is a huge difference between a group of buildings on or off deed and with or without defenders.  I get that. But what we are talking about here is how easily it is to operate the catapult at low or no skill and how quickly the walls fall. 

High ql tool required to make high ql stuff?  Makes sense to me!  You would then need the same high ql mallet to make the good catapult!

Now if I get a chance tomorrow I will take a low ql catapult with my 14 skill and 20 to 60 ql shards and try it against a 70 ql wall with no damage and see what the results are!

In my opinion catas are overpowered

It is kinda useless now to make a 90 ql wall it takes about the same time to catapult a 90 ql wall down as a 10 ql wall

And you've tested this right?

A wall an hour I think is about right. Under an hour i think is to fast  This is with one skilled player with one skilled catapult.  2 should be about 30 mins and so on.

Catapults should have to be trained up like every other skill in order to be effective.

By one wall you are meaning one of 20+ walls it takes to catapult to get into a village, disregarding any kind of village defenders? That's just stupid. Imagine sitting at a deed, turbo-nerding for 5 hours, just to get a single 50 copper drain. It's not worth it. Especially if the walls are sub 70QL.

Have you ever even raided or defended before? You could easily out-repair this while enjoying a movie at the same time... just take a few bricks every 10 minutes and repair the walls that were just damaged.

With the way your idea presently sits, it heavily favors the defenders rather than the attackers, who have to move across server just to get to you.

YES, I think defenders should have the advantage on raids.  Why shouldn't they?

as for an hour some one before stated that when they raided it was usually around 12 guys.  assume that 4 of them are skilled and crewing the catapults. that is only 15 mins a wall. (This is for high quality wall yes lower quality should be break faster)

Defenders I think should take a lot of damage if they are standing next to a wall as well, when it is hit.  Being repaired and should interrupt there progress bar if they get hit while repairing.

Raiding favors the attacker right now a lot.

- risk little in attacking

- pick the time

- payout of coins and items.

Defenders

- ??

for those saying 1 hour per cat taking to long how long do you think it should take?

Defenders

- Screwed  :P

The basic's of PvP has always been this draining bit they have going on and changing it is not going to happen unless you make a new type of server as its their only reason to PvP and make coins from what I gather...anyhow this could go in circles for days and in the end more than likely nothing will change. 

Catapults are easy atm to kill walls end of story...thanks for playing.. ;)

The only defense you really have is to spend days, weeks, hours and hours skilling mining and masonry and building many many walls even then it will not stop a few catapults for long.  If you do not have a large village its best to have the minimum upkeep to limit the amount you lose.

A wall an hour I think is about right. Under an hour i think is to fast  This is with one skilled player with one skilled catapult.  2 should be about 30 mins and so on.

Catapults should have to be trained up like every other skill in order to be effective.

so what about the deeds with walls on every single tile inside it? are people suppose to sit there for days trying to get a small drain catapulting there way through tiles of spammed walls?

This thread is stupid. Not a single person in here asking for change has more than a couple points of catapult skill. Anything said after that is pointed out is moot. Move along now, nothing to see here.

Eh its debatable if catapults need tweaking. In the past it was a complete waste of time to even build one.

Personally Id kill for catapult keybinds... would be soooo wrist friendly to queue up commands instead of waiting for the context menu to update for firing.

Personally Id kill for catapult keybinds... would be soooo wrist friendly to queue up commands instead of waiting for the context menu to update for firing.

+1

This whole I have experience bit is garbage...people use them to remodel deeds as well and get plenty of skill and know how easy they tear down walls. ;)  So just stop the I played more catapult than you deal. lol!  I use QL 60+ cat and 80-90 QL rock works great. As a matter of fact my cat came out QL 60+ when I built it! :D

This whole I have experience bit is garbage...people use them to remodel deeds as well and get plenty of skill and know how easy they tear down walls. ;)  So just stop the I played more catapult than you deal. lol!  I use QL 60+ cat and 80-90 QL rock works great.

You don't have 30 skill from remodeling your deed.

This whole I have experience bit is garbage...people use them to remodel deeds as well and get plenty of skill and know how easy they tear down walls. ;)  So just stop the I played more catapult than you deal. lol!  I use QL 60+ cat and 80-90 QL rock works great.

I have experience, I would know.

Just think about that for a sec if you would....I don't have 30 yet, but I rarely miss and do 20 damage everytime.

So please explain exactly how this is hard at all?

you dont really gain plenty of skill from catapulting deeds... one person i know got about 25 catapulting from catapulting a deed on SB for hours and it still took forever for us to even get in from a few people and alts being able to out repair all the catapults... and it was NOT easy at all.

Just think about that for a sec if you would....I don't have 30, yet but I rarely miss and do 20 damage everytime.

I doubt you're shooting at anything further than about 10-15. Try shooting at 25-40 which is needed for well-planned deeds.

you dont really gain plenty of skill from catapulting deeds... one person i know got about 25 catapulting from catapulting a deed on SB for hours and it still took forever for us to even get in from a few people and alts being able to out repair all the catapults... and it was NOT easy at all.

Oh for sure any deed with a good population of players might have someone online during the assault and the repairing is easy too like the shooting so I could see it taking a long time when someone is actually there.  I am not saying its completely one sided all the time, but when no one is there most avg deeds you see will go down rather quickly which I guess is the basics of Wurm Raiding.  Sometimes its easy other times its not worth dealing with or will take hours.

I doubt you're shooting at anything further than about 10-15. Try shooting at 25-40 which is needed for well-planned deeds.

He's not shooting at anything. He's likely full of BS as usual.

Just think about that for a sec if you would....I don't have 30, yet but I rarely miss and do 20 damage everytime.

Oh so farther away = less damage??

He's not shooting at anything. He's likely full of BS as usual.

[20:49:30] A small four wheel catapult designed to be dragged by one person or animal. It could be used to hurl items at walls and fences. It is made from oakenwood. It could be improved with a log. Ql: 60.987904, Dam: 1.3117355.

[20:49:30] You can barely make out the signature of its maker,  'Uber.n.t'.

Oh so farther away = less damage??

farther away increases chance to miss

farther away increases chance to miss

Ahh ok, that makes sense.

so then what is the point of putting up anything more then a woden fence?

This is why no Epic is not growing new players are exploited and mocked.  I have asked multiple time how long people thing it should take for one cat to break one wall and all i get is you dont know what your talking about caues you dont have 30 skill. 

Not one of you are for balance just makeing it easier to grieve.

Was very much looking forward to PVP but maybe i should go play on freedom as there is not one here interested in balance just things staying in there favor.

If some one fills every tile with walls yes it should take a long time to break them all down.

there is not Balance in raiding and siege right now.

If you are unable to defend against raiders catapulting you right now, it would not matter whether it take them 10 minutes or 10 hours to reach your token, you have already lost, especially with an attitude like that