Sign in to follow this  
janekpolaczek

Climbing

I found a method to add variety to climbing, eg. add , ice axes, assurance ropes etc. I think to add variety to climbing, not to make it easier. To not make climbing too easy, please add suggestions how could we use these new items.

i162%20arsenal%20podciagu.jpg

Ice axe:

ea2035_iceaxeparts.gif

lina-z-hakiem.jpg?w=109&h=150

Oh i like that,  nice you could get a bonus from using tools, scale greater slope with less fatigue.

Hi,

like the idea, +1.

Since it, for sure, would lead to sudden, unjustified deaths of some of our PvP friends it should be ommited on any PvP server. 

The effect itself shouldn't be too strong, but noticeable.

I'd love to have a thing like in the pict below, kind of a "thrown anchor with a rope". Made from a cordage rope and some hooks (maybe additional stuff like ribbons?), then imped with blacksmithing. Not more then 1.5kg.

It could be used in a certain range, maybe 0 -20 QL 2 tiles, 30+ QL 3 tiles, 40+ QL 4 tiles etc.

"Activate" this tool in your inventory, and "use" it on a tile in the correct distance (or below). This tile has to be rock, cliff or tree, the anchor wouldn't give enough hold on dirt or grass.

"You throw the climbing anchor."

would be the result, and then:

"Unfortunately your climbing anchor fails to get a grip, and falls down upon you. Try again." (2-3 damage on the head)

OR

"Your climbing anchor is now firmly attached to your goal. Happy climbing!"

The chance to get a firm grip , and not an anchor smashing your forehead, would depend of the climbing skill.

There'd be a "sign" now on the target tile, maybe a representation of the anchor (or even a rope leading to, and an anchor attached?). Right-clicking it (or the tile) would give a new option: "Climb to!"

Using this option would make you "auto-climb" up (or down), but real slowly (depending of the climbing skill). However with reduced stamina drain, again depending of the climbing skill.

This way good climbers would be able to climb up (and down) the steepest of cliffs, without using such strange aids as fence ladders. The climbing should be slow, and while climbing no blocking, parrying or using a weapon or such should be possible.

This could be a nice and useful addition IMHO, adding a little spice to the game. Especially for Independence, where there's steepest cliffs in abundance.

Possibilities to abuse it? I hear.

Have a good time!

I was considering the effect this would have on PvP with defences etc. but I think it wouldn't really be too bad, it's not a terribly elitist skill, it will provoke more creative gameplay. Good idea all round says I!

I love it Janek. +1

Wurm needs more things to promote exploration..

We have horses and carts to traverse flat(ish) land, boats to cross lakes and oceans... But no great way of climbing steep slopes without terraforming or fence ladders (which feel silly).

"Unfortunately your climbing anchor fails to get a grip, and falls down upon you. Try again." (2-3 damage on the head)

I love your ideas!!

Not sure I like the damage aspect though.. perhaps when you are a novice trying very difficult slopes?

Otherwise a fail could just mean stamina lost, which would be precious while climbing.

There needs to be a decent way to regain stamina too though, or just reduced stamina use for higher skill like you said.. Not sure how to implement it without making it too easy..

scaled.php?server=585&filename=obwspinacz1.jpg&res=landing

this way it is looking out now...: P(without these ropes of course)

I always wanted some climbing gears to help get a little bit higher sometimes, even if its just to secure yourself to regain some stamina

+ 1 Climbing ropes would be nice. It would remove the unrealistic fence roads